Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Bill..yep we are just passing thru..I try to make my life a bit more than waiting for the last bus tho..:) Jim

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Paul1948
Jim I appreciate the invite and as before it has been something Ive wanted to do. Are you still in Milwaukie? I dislocated a shoulder (left) a few yrs ago and any more than 50# will push it out again, I had trouble shooting more than 20# on the road to recovery so I am very grateful to be pulling 50.
That little bow that Jerry has, does it have sap wood on it? The pics dont show any and at the light weight it must not require horn nocks.
I dont think Jim realizes how much he is missed on the other sites...PR

Paul,The little yew bow I made for Jerry G. was a mid altitude stave that had 1/2" of sapwood on it..:(

I reduced the sapwood down to about 3/16", but left the sapwood thicker at the nocks for reinforcement..Nocks were simply cut into the wood.

Concerning injuries..About ten years back, after many years and previous injuries( not archery related) I had two cervical discs removed.
I was at a point where I couldn't hold an empty coffee cup in outstretched left arm and had lost most of my muscle mass in my bow arm...due to nerve impingment.
After the surgery..I had some choices.I could quit archery..take up a lighter bow..or be stubborn and refuse to give up.
Six months later I was shooting my 75-85# longbows and recurves well again.
During the interim, I built a bow press for more modern glass-wood lam bows that was reminiscent of the old Nels Grumley static Deerslayer type bows.
I built three very nice static bows on the press..The heaviest being 7230".
I named it Molon Labe...which is the english for the Greek statement given to the persian king at Thermopayle by the Greek-Spartan king, Leonidas.
Loosly translated it was his answer to the persian king to surrender and throw down their weapons.

Molon Labe was his reply which was:
'come and take them'..
That was before the movie "300" was made..but was my way of being resolute that I would NOT surrender my health and strength and passion for heavier archery bows without a fight.:)
Yes I'm still in Milwaukie.You are welcome any time..Jim

W
W
Originally Posted by jim in Oregon
Bill..yep we are just passing thru..I try to make my life a bit more than waiting for the last bus tho..:) Jim

Jim,

I'm not waiting for a bus. I'm walking "...just a closer walk with thee" while anticipating a chariot ride someday soon, by His mercy and grace!

Bill

Last edited by WildmanSC; 06/11/08.

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He Is Worthy!!
T
T
Traditional since 1965 8^)...with a brief hiatus in the mid 70's.

My favorite right now is my Howard Hill Big 5. I also use a Tri-State Jaguar, 1958 model recurve.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

380 members (264mag, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 29aholic, 48 invisible), 1,796 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,844
Posts18,517,289
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.