Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is a large ring FN. I thought you said it was a small ring you were looking at?

Terry

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I guess I don't know the difference. It didn't look like the front ring was bigger than the back ring.

Sorry

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
See why Mausers are so much fun?

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
One thing is for sure; I'm learning alot!!

Is the Husky fn a good action?

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Any FN action is a good action, if sound and in good condition. I buy my FN actions in the form of JC Higgins and Sears rifles.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been fooling around with Husqvarna's since the 1970's, and can see some mis-conceptions in various posts in this thread.

1) It was incorrectly posted that there's no such thing as a separate HVA action. The later HVA action was differentiated from the previous Husky action by a slight dovetail shape to the bolt lugs - it's main claim to fame.

2) The only 96 Mauser Husqvarnas are military models, which cock on closing, like all other 1893, 94, 95 & 96 Mausers - which is the opposite of the cock on opening feature that signifys a Model 98 Mauser.
Because this "cock-on-closing" action has a small front receiver ring, some assume it's the desireable Small Ring Mauser 98 or vice-versa.

3) The commercial Husqvarna bolt rifles were made on both large and small ring 98 Mauser actions.
It's easiest to differentiate between the two by observing the left front of the receiver wall where it abuts the front receiver ring.
A step up, there, to a larger receiver ring = Large Ring 98; No step = Small Ring 98.

The Husqvarna's were all made in Sweden by Husqvarna, but in some years variously branded as "Tradewinds", Smith & Wesson", & "HVA" - with each vendor asking/receiving/selling several different models, from Monte Carlo stocked one w/forend tips, etc, to lightweight, classic, Euro-styled models, with others in between.
Most can be instantly "picked out" by the pistol grip checkering that extended fully to the pistol grip cap w/o a border in between.

I haven't run across any issue varmint or bull barreled ones, though.

A .270 Husky would make an excellent 7x57, as the boltface is the same, and only the barrel would need either replacement or a rebore/setback/rechamber.

JMO, But if I had one in .270, I wouldn't convert it to something so close, performance-wise, as a 7x57 - although I do totally understand the allure of that metric.

Last edited by Rangr44; 06/13/08.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Husqvarna marketed M-98 FN actions are as nicely made as any commercial FN action and the finish is usually superb.
I have read that Husqvrna never made M-98 (which is why they imported FN's) and only made M-96's - but I can't verify that.

There has been some confusion about whether or not the small ring action is either a M-98 or a derivative M-96. The factory ads of the time claim it was an improvement of the Mauser and most folks assume that means the M-98. But if you examine the small ring Husqvarna along side a M-96 and M-98 it is obvious that Husqvarna used their M-96 design and the main "improvements" are the side safety and ejector/bolt stop.

The M-96's are not a strong as the M-98's but Husqvarna made superb actions with great steel and the fact that they chambered them in 7 mm Rem mags means they considered them strong enough for that round.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win

There has been some confusion about whether or not the small ring action is either a M-98 or a derivative M-96. The factory ads of the time claim it was an improvement of the Mauser and most folks assume that means the M-98. But if you examine the small ring Husqvarna along side a M-96 and M-98 it is obvious that Husqvarna used their M-96 design and the main "improvements" are the side safety and ejector/bolt stop.

What would leed you to that conclusion other than the fact it is a small ring action?

Most all M98 parts fit this action plus it has the 3rd lug on the bolt which is a M98 design. The 1640/HVA action has much more in common with a M98 than a M96.

I know Chuck Hawks ain't the last word on the subject but here is a quote from his site.

Husqvarna

This Swedish made, slightly modified Mauser 98 action was discontinued around 1970. Most of the modifications were made to simplify production and represent a step backward from the original Mauser design, but the changes were minor. These Include a very positive but difficult to operate spring steel magazine floorplate release in the front of the trigger guard and the lack of an external bolt release. (You remove the bolt by pressing down the receiver mounted pivoting ejector, which protrudes from the edge of the bolt face when the bolt is fully open.) Unlike a Mauser 98 but like most other bolt action rifles, the magazine box is separate from the bottom iron.

The safety is a slider mounted at the right rear of the action. It locks the trigger but not the bolt, which can be opened with the safety "on."

The Husqvarna action is very precisely machined from top grade steel. It handles escaping powder gasses as well as any other Mauser pattern action. It is one of the slickest, perhaps the slickest, Mauser 98 pattern action that I have ever owned.

Terry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Other than cocking on closing I don't know what. I have a number of Husqvarna sporters, both small ring and the larger FN actions and the bolts on all of my small rings are of M-96 design and certainly will not fit in a M-98 and M-98 bolts will not fit them. The bolt from my son's military Husqvarna M-96 however will fit in the small ring husqvarna sporter.

Check yours out. Husqvarna made a lot of rifles and it's possible we are talking about different rifles. Examine the bolt faces and lugs of your small ring and the M-98. they are completely different between the M-98 and M-96.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A M98 bolt will fit a 1640/HVA action. the front left lug is split on a M98 bolt which isn't necessary on the 1640/HVA action but they will fit. The 1640/HVA action cocks on opening just like the M98, has the 3rd safety lug which is a hallmark of the M98. The 1640/HVA action uses M98 not M96 aftermarket triggers and safeties and has the same hole spacing as a M98 if you're so inclined to use aftermarket bottom metal.

I just think the 1640/HVA is clearly more M98 than a derivative of the M96. That was the only point I was trying to make.

I think my writing style makes me seem more combative than I really am. Sorry if you took it that way.

Terry

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rangr44
The only 96 Mauser Husqvarnas are military models, which cock on closing, like all other 1893, 94, 95 & 96 Mausers - which is the opposite of the cock on opening feature that signifys a Model 98 Mauser.
Because this "cock-on-closing" action has a small front receiver ring, some assume it's the desireable Small Ring Mauser 98 or vice-versa.

Not exactly. The Model 46 Husqvarna sporting rifle uses a model 96 action, and cocks on closing. It was produced in the Husqvarna factory as a sporting rifle, not as a military rifle. Mine is a 9.3x57, but they also produced them in 8x57 and 6.5x55. I have seen it stated that they were produced in 9.3x62 as well, but all the original factory 9.3x62's I've seen positive ID on were produced on Model 98 actions.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Agreed. I have a Husqvarna 648 in 8x57 that was built on a commercial small-ring pre-1898 style action, sn 868xx. This is the cock-on-closing style with the smaller gas shield on the bolt shroud that doesn't have a thumb-cut on the left side of the receiver.

Although it may not be proper, the 1640 series of actions are commonly referred to as "HVA" actions and are the successors to the 648 FN 1898 actions. They were, in turn, succeeded by the 8000/9000 series of non-Mauser actions with the dovetailed locking lugs. This is the action that Zoli has built rifles on since Husqvarna discontinued firearms production. The Husqvarna imported by Smith & Wesson were built on the 1640/HVA action for the 1st year or 2 and then on the 8000/9000 action through the end of production. I have S&W A, B, C, D, and E models with both action styles and identical markings.

When in doubt about a Husqvarna, the best thing to do is call upon SBHVA and get an answer from a true expert, not just a bunch of duffers.

Jeff

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I will agree that Chuck Hawks isn't the final authority on Husqvarna's. He used a sample of one to write that definitive work...His rifle was custom made and in the process they removed the horrible little bolt release nob (you did that on your sweet little HVA right?). So he describes the process of removing the bolt only by sticking a finger into the action. He really has no idea what the original looks like.

Other references that support Mr. Shoemaker is the Frank DeHaas book on bolt actions...I don't have an opinion either way, other than I quite like them. I've had the straight military 96, the end of war 648 (94 with solid left wall, and modified striker thingy), Husky FN, HVA 1640, and HVA 9000/1900. All have been well made.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In all fairness to Chuck do you really know that to be a fact? I would bet he has seen more than one Husky 1640 action rifle.

I not only gave a reference but very clearly gave my own observations as to why I came to my conclusions. Would you mind doing the same?

Of coarse you could say that a M98 is just a derivative of a M96 and you would be very correct grin

Terry

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have had a 9000 6.5x55 for a long time and cast a vote for the design here, supersmooth action as dovetail cross section locking lugs slide in female matching grooves in receiver. Trigger adjustment a big trial though. If it is not right to begin with it is a PIA to fix. Otteson in "The Bolt Action" calls it the most advanced evolution of the 98. Pot metal magazine is not too bad, light in weight and functional. As Jeff says, very little in aftermarket stuff for it. I recall hard hunting until I found a scope mount base that was correct.

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Terry, your kidding right? He stated it right in your quote, "...the lack of an external bolt release. (You remove the bolt by pressing down the receiver mounted pivoting ejector, which protrudes from the edge of the bolt face when the bolt is fully open.)"

I did give a reference to a source that backed up Mr. Shoemakers thoughts...we should be ready for publication in a peer-reviewed journal now.

In my quest for more information, I have read a couple articles that he mentions the Husqvarna...and it's always the same one with the "lack of external bolt release". Sorry, just assumed by the quote you gave it was pretty obvious he didn't know much about them. I wasn't giving you the gears at all...the only one that bugged me was Chuck Hawks.

This is a quote from his custom Husky 7x57 article:
"The procedure for removing the bolt from the Husqvarna action is a bit odd. There is no bolt release on the left side of the receiver as is common with many bolt action rifles, and pulling the trigger all the way rearward does not help. The secret is to open the bolt and depress the spring loaded ejector blade, which can be seen protruding slightly from the lower left side of the bolt face. With the ejector depressed the bolt will slide smoothly from the action." Chuck Hawks

Last edited by djpepper; 06/13/08.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
trouthunter,

If you will go to http://forums.gunboards.com which is GunBoards.com and then the forum Swedish Civilian and Sporting Firearms, and then post a question to SBHVA with the serial number of the rifle, he will be able to give you all of the details. I have been to several gun shows with him and he is the past master on Husqvarna firearms. He also has original reference manuals from Sweden with the serial number information.
He has not only accummulated a wealth of knowledge but has bought and sold many, many Husqvarna rifles over the years. He also communicates well with Swedish counterparts that are still living in Sweden.

i personally collect the 1900 actions which were imported into the US from 1969 forward under several company names. Absolutely the smoothest action you will find. The earlier post regarding difficulty finding parts, etc. is true. But, in the 38 years that I have collected them, I have never had a mechanical failure of the action. I certainly have had stocks that needed refinishing and have had to fix a couple of cracks, but no other issues. Four years ago I had a 30-06 rebarrelled into 338.06. Last year I had a 7mm Mag rebarrelled into the new 375 Ruger. Absolutely incredible firearms.

Best of luck and don't hesitate to get on GunBoards Swedish forum with your questions.

SD Hunter

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

SD Hunter
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DJ, the gest of the quote comes in the 1st sentence.
Husqvarna

This Swedish made, slightly modified Mauser 98 action was discontinued around 1970.

Now you can pick apart the rest of it if you want to. Makes absalutely no difference to me. My disagreement isn't based on it. I also gave my own observations and clearly stated how much credence I gave to the author of the quote. This is what I wrote on the subject, the first sentence is in reference that Phil said a M98 bolt will not fit in the action and it went like this:

A M98 bolt will fit a 1640/HVA action. the front left lug is split on a M98 bolt which isn't necessary on the 1640/HVA action but they will fit. The 1640/HVA action cocks on opening just like the M98, has the 3rd safety lug which is a hallmark of the M98. The 1640/HVA action uses M98 not M96 aftermarket triggers and safeties and has the same hole spacing as a M98 if you're so inclined to use aftermarket bottom metal.

I just think the 1640/HVA is clearly more M98 than a derivative of the M96. That was the only point I was trying to make.

Do you have anything to dispute what I wrote there?

I like Phil as much as anyone on this board. I enjoy reading what he writes but in this case I don't agree with him. If I was talking to him in person I would tell him the same thing face to face and hopefully beer would be involed in the exchange of idea's. He stated we may very well be talking about different actions and I give him that. You mentioned an author but you didn't quote anything the author said in his book about the subject at hand which pretty much makes it null and void. Nor did you back up anything with your own thoughts. No, this isn't a peer-reviewed journal but if you want to disregard what I personally wrote on the subject and pick apart the quote I only ask that you back up your statements with something.

I simply stated the that a 1640/HVA Husky action is more representative of a small ring M98 action than a M96. Now do you have anything that can dispute that statement other than Frank DeHaas said something about it in a book without even a quote? Further more why am I even arguing this with you? I had a simple, civil disagreement with something Phil wrote, not you. You said you had no opinion on the matter so what's the deal? You seem to be in a disagreeable mood, you don't like the quote? Fine, it's noted. wink

Terry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Terry, the bolts from my Husky HVA and my son's M-94 will interchange and appear virtually identical in profile. The bolts and locking lugs on mine at least are designed like the M-96 bolts and neither will fit any of my M-98's.
Do any of your Husky receiver have C rings or external bolt releases ?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have watched this entire thread from the beginning. I was hoping to learn something. But all I have learned, is that I know even less than I thought I did. blush

I have found the easiest way to determine a large ring from a small ring is use a set of calipers. The LR actions measure about 1.4" - The SR action: about 1.3".

I have several incarnations of the Mauser "Style" actions. I have the Swede M-96, the HVA, FN "Belgian" actions, M-98 military. I cannot make the bolts interchange on any of them. shocked

I think the biggest contribution to confusion on the Husqvarna actions, is that there are so many variations of them and all the actions are just marked: "HVA" No Model #'s.

Obvious differences in the bolt shroud will indicate whether it's a M-96 type or M-98 type as well as the "Cock-on-closing" of the M-96 or the "Cock-on-opening" of the M-98 style. Also when the action is open, the third lug of the M-98 style is quite appearant and obvious.

For anyone that really wants to know, the minor investment of Frank de Haas book: Bolt Action Rifles would seem a worthwhile investment. smile

The SR M-98 Style HVA is easily discernable by the 3rd safety lug. (And the traditional Mauser "Claw" extractor. However the later post '72 Series (8000 & 9000, I believe) are "push-feed designs.

Still confused? ... So am I... grin

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (222ND, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 23 invisible), 1,802 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,828
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.