Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Where is the best source to obtain a map of a Colorado unit to determine boundries for public land?

Where is the best source for topo maps of the same?

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
BLM maps indicate land ownership the best of all that I've ever used. You can order them from the USGS and many commercial sources.

Good luck.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
"Best" is a pretty subjective term for what you need. The vast majority of public land in CO is either BLM or USFS. There are some State parcels sprinkled around. There are many outfits that sell customized maps for regions or units. But I've always found it best to get the information straight from the horses mouth, i.e. get the maps from the BLM and USFS to show the property/boundary lines. The downside is, these are generally pretty weak with respect to topo. I think the best topo is still from the USGS quads, either hard copy or downloaded.

I've always been a bit of a control freak, and know just enough land surveying to be dangerous, so never really trusted any of the aftermarket outfits enough to use their all-in-one maps. I usually take the USGS quad or County topo map and pencil in the property layouts from the BLM or USFS maps. It's not a terribly complex task if one understands map scale and section line layouts. Call me old-fashioned.

My one exception is the mapping done by Trails Illustrated, I find their maps to be quite useful both in ownership layout and topo.

Keep in mind private landowners are not required to fence their parcels but you're still tresspassing if you get caught on them. The flip side of that coin is that it's a big no-no (federal offense) for them to fence off public land, either on accident or purpose.

You probably already know this, but also try your best to understand the road usage symbols and accessibility rules for the trails shown on those maps. I mean what's open to horses and single track may be closed to 4x4, etc. The agency's latest map will be law and may not always jive with how it's marked (or unmarked) in the field.

Good luck.

SD

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks for the tips fellows. I will follow up on them. I have general information about the boundries where I hunt but I want to know exactly where I belong and dont belong.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Superdave,

I do the same thing - transfer BLM info to USGS quads with pencils or highlighters for the land ownership/usage info. The times I have seen DOW personnel reference maps in the field, they were looking at BLM maps. Although it seems that the USFS maps are the resource for road/trail usage. This might be important as DOW will be enforcing trail use (ATVs) this year.

Craftsman - call the BLM office in Denver and give them the unit(s) you are hunting. They seem to have the best prices and will mail them to you quick. If I am going through a town nearby where I am hunting that has BLM,USFS and/or DOW offices I always stop in and troll for information. Ask about road conditions, where hunters are being successful, how the weather has been the last week etc.. It don't hurt to ask, and we pay their salaries anyway!

JohnDog

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You guys must be crazy transferring BLM data on to USGS quads. I thought I was the only one that did that!

I add another step on maps that I use a lot. A trip to Kinkos to laminate the quads! With that much work, I don't want the maps to tear up anytime soon.

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Be careful! Not all BLM and State lands are public use even though public roads cross them and the BLM offices are not always aware of each individual pieces being leased ect. Signage is not always accurate either. Some pieces of BLM have been recently traded or sold and still mapped and posted as BLM. Trespassing not only carries county charges and fines but DOW penalties also. This past year my nephew and I deer hunted a piece of BLM land that I have hunted since I was a boy and was cited for trespassing. The land was still marked with boundary whips and corner pins. However the ranch that bordered this property exchanged land for it in the summer and did not remove the markers or the parking area. After a long discussion with the Warden, Sherriff and land owner it was determined that regardless of the land being marked as BLM it was private thus receiving citations. After going to court twice and hiring a lawyer all charges were dropped. Could have been resolved the first go around but the DA must have been short on his revenue quota for the month. The not so funny part was that the BLM office clerks maintained that the property was BLM.

Good hunting to ya.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The best pre printed maps out there right now come from National Geographic. They are very well illustrated and allows you to see the terrain very well. Plastic waterproof too (if I remember correctly). Here is a link for their "map machine" but the preprinted ones are available...

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/maps

NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Damn shame something like that cost you guys legal fees. Sounds like the only non-negligent party was the trespasser. BLM and landowner both fouled up their end of a land transfer like that.
SD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Craftsman,
The "best" maps for what I think you want are availabe from the National Geographic map machine. REI usually has the machines as does Sportsman's Warehouse. You custom make each map and on some of mine they have parts of as many as five quad maps that would cost you about $6 each. The maps from the machine are waterproof and you can also have the GMU boundaries printed on them too. They are 7 1/2 minute quad maps so you won't be able to get the whole GMU on it, the GMU's are just too big for that. I don't know where you are but if you can find one of the machines near you go take a look at it. I'd also try to find someone at the store who's familar with how to operate the machine. Like I said each map is custom printed to the specifications you load into it. So you get a map in profile or landscape format, with UTM or Lat/Long grip or not. I think it's actually quite a deal for about $10. The machine also covers the entire US. I have maps made for my Colorado hunting country and the places I hunt hogs in Texas. If you don't have a SW or REI nearby you could call the National Geographic office in Evergreen, Colorado and ask them where the nearest one to you might be, the map machine program is run out of that office. CH

The older I get the better I was.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nathanial
Be careful! Not all BLM and State lands are public use even though public roads cross them and the BLM offices are not always aware of each individual pieces being leased ect.

Nathanial, do you have an example where BLM land with legal, public access are not available for public use. Also, I am not sure what you mean by BLM not "aware of each individual pieces being leased".

Last edited by mtmiller; 06/22/08.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just guessing here, but I bet

"BLM not "aware of each individual pieces being leased..."

would be in reference to the individual behind the local counter not being savvy on the information, where to find it, or whom to ask. Somewhere in the BLM juggernaut they have offices that track all their land use but it doesn't always trickle down to the people they put in front of the public.

I don't know about the other half of the statement/question. That's kind of a new one on me.

SD

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
A few years ago I got maps from the forest service at the federal service center in Denver for the area I was hunting at the time. They were black and white copies of the USGS maps. The private property is shown in gray. I assume that they still have them for sale. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
In Oregon, the best public/deeded ownership maps are generated by the BLM. There are land trades from time to time, so acquiring a most recent edition might be wise if there have been any swaps recently. Where national forest predominate, then the forest service is a better bet. Don't give up on deeded property if it looks good. When asking, I seem to be granted access more than half the time.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 22250rem, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,233
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.