-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I need one. Going to be framing in a cabin in the woods this weekend, and sure enough, the Deer Flies are now out, and they are thick. Full clothing and a hat, with some spray keeps them swarming around at best. I've read about putting fly tape on the back of your hat and having them stick to that (haven't tried that as of yet). I'm wondering if fly traps would work on deer flies? Maybe with some blood in the trap? Also thought about just wrapping the kids in fly tape and letting them do the work . . . (grin).

I'd sure appreciate any good solutions for the deer flies; I can't change the build weekend, or the location!

Thanks much.

DB

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." - Mark Twain

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Have you tried a thermocell? they work on southern deerflies. My hunting partner used 1 on a canadian bear hunt & it worked there. Look at Walmart in the sporting good section, buy a bunch of refills.

Last edited by gahuntertom; 06/17/08.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I also would look into the Thermacell, I use mine in KY early archery season (sept) and it keeps the bugs at bay.
Just remember to buy alot of the little blue cards to refill and fuel cannisters.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
ok; but wondering how effective they would be when building a cabin? Aren't they normally just positioned by you when sitting in a stand, etc.? I'd have to teather one around my neck . . .

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." - Mark Twain

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by dakota blues
ok; but wondering how effective they would be when building a cabin? Aren't they normally just positioned by you when sitting in a stand, etc.? I'd have to teather one around my neck . . .

They make a nifty little strap where you can strap it onto your person.....(mine straps on my leg)

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
yeah; I've done a little research on them now; they seem to have lanterns too - might just have to get several of them and flood the area. I'll try anything at this point!

Thanks again.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I will say that they do work.....kinda funny where I deer hunt in KY it is swampy.....that means mosquito's, mad I swear they have landing strips and air traffic control there.
Anyway after several hours of sitting in a tree while the thing is strapped to the tree by me, I can tell when its time to replace one of those little blue cards without even looking at it....once I do its back to keeping my blood in my veins.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 6,653 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,827
Posts18,537,004
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.