Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I have a question for all you guys living in hard water areas. I'm trying to find a water softener system for my home that uses no salt. Is there such an animal? Thanks.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
talked with hopper soft water in uvalde texas today , they say there is a unit that works with potassium cloride , might give them a call. 830-591-6318 Jeff Hopper

ignorance-everyone is born with it, some more than others
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Just be careful if you are aging check with your doctor esp if anyone using the water has heart problems or high blood pressure

We drink our hard water and I treat my bath water and laundry and dish water with baking soda

Adkbueford

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Potasium Cloride is a type of salt. The salt is in most cases a filter and clensing agent, why are you not wanting to use it? It is NOT the health hazard some would have you think it is. The minerals you get from hard water, and the clorine and florides that are added are a lot worse, than softening your water with salt.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
We have a drilled well our hard water comes from the natural minerals here in the Adirondacks nothing added
But when Giles had his heart attack and it was discovered he also had high blood pressure the cardiac doctor asked if we had a softening system and when I said no he said "good" so I took that to mean that the salts used could be harmful to us.
I guess thats the best explaination I can give
ADKbueford

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I have a question for all you guys living in hard water areas. I'm trying to find a water softener system for my home that uses no salt. Is there such an animal? Thanks.

Yes, it is called a reverse osmosis system.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Reverse osmosis uses about three gallons per useable gallon retrieved and it's slow. We took ours out. It's okay for drinking water but will probably be a problem for bathing or washing.
Potassium chloride can be used instead of sodium chloride in a softener. It doesn't have the same effects on you that excess sodium does-- water retention, increased blood pressure, and whatever else. It does cost more to use potassium chloride.
HTH

Retired cat herder.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
look here,and if you decide to go with it let me know how it does.
http://www.easywater.com/EasyWater-Water-Softener-Systems.aspx?gclid=CPWYzomY65MCFQahiQodEQurWA

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Kinetico advertises that they use no NaCl salt and do not use electricity. That's all I can tell you about Kinetico, but might be worth checking out.

If a person has high blood pressure, the sodium from a traditional softener exacerbates the condition. KCl, potassium chloride is a salt, and can have a deleterious effect on certain heart conditions. The cations Na and K exchange for the Ca and Mg cations (that cause the rind buildup on fixtures) that are naturally in the water. It's great for the aesthitics of your fixtures, but less so for your body.

RO, reverse osmosis, is probably the best way to improve drinking water, but is not feasable for whole-house water conditioning. "Green sand" filters can help if the problem is iron.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (6MMWASP, 673, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1minute, 9 invisible), 1,768 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,950
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.