Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It was THE most amazing thing I've ever seen in my life. I am nearly 64 and have been hunting before I reached my teens. There I was calling to a couple gobbling turkeys, minding my own business. When all I heard was alarm putts and clucks that were quite frantic. Then everything went quiet. Till thsat point I hadn't actually seen a bird. Then 1 coyote, then a 2nd went behind me. Then a couple minutes pass and then there's two more. I could have (and SHOULD have) shot 2 of them. BUT as you know NY has a season on them and it was closed. However, it wasn't much more than 15 minutes and the birds were gobbling again and that's when I shot the jake. My menories of that day are fantastic.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It always makes me chuckle the way hunters and fisherman in other states think of NY as nothing but city folk and tall buildings!!!! Here in Western NY i'm as far away from NY City as I can possibly be while still being in the same state, and here I have everything I could possibly want in hunting and fishing.......Oops, I mean no, there isn't any game here????

HUNTERS, THE ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!!!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey JJ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we don't ALL think that way. Some of us know MUCH better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Gosh, I do miss being back there. I lived in Orange county, now home to half of NYC, hunted in the Catskills, Peekamoose Mt. for 40 years, then moved to Canandaigua, NY before moving out here. Loved the mountains at the south end of the lake. Rachel

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
With the politics the way they are here, u are better off there Rachel!

I have a sister in Canandaigua. Now they have a state run racino in Victor and there seems to be new subdivisions everywhere.....

It is pretty country though if you can picture it without the houses and people....

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It aint that bad in Canandaigua

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Actually, I guess you get out of something, what you put into it. I just got back from 9 more days in Oswego County. I continue to meet some of the nicest people I have met anywhere. I hunt and fish and visit. Most of the people I meet do the same. Therefore, I suggest that is is the PEOPLE that make New York state exactly what it is. Politicians are what they are. They will never change. We complain and complain and yet we elect the same politicians year after year. Shame belongs to us aand only us. However, the people from upstate New York that I have met are second to none.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbeardking303
I was out at about 4:30 AM on Thursday. Beautiful cold, clear morning. Birds were vocal and I was in a perfect spot. I did a very few tree yelps on my 20 year old Quaker Boy box call and had birds responding, when all hell broke loose. I heard a turkey in distress and alarm putting and clucking. Next thing I saw was a coyote come out of the thick with nothing to show for his efforts. Went right past me in front. Next I see movement behind me,,,,,,,,,another coyote..........Then 2 more and one huge male stood right in front of me. I did NOT shoot,,,,,for two reasons. One NY has a season on them and the season is not now and the second is that there were too many birds around. About 15 minutes go by before I call again. I do and got a thunder back. I could see 2 birds coming to my decoy and calling. I let them get into range and waited for them to split and shot 1 of them. It was a 15 pound jake. The date on my camera is off by 1 day so please don't hold that against me. The next 2 days were rainy and terribly windy and even though I hunted both days, I came up empty. On the 4th morning it was rainy but it stopped a little after daylight. I heard gobbles, but had to relocate to take advantage of the situation. I had birds responding from 2 different locations. I was set up near a stone wall and the closest bird was on the other side. I made the fatal mistake and moved ever so slightly to get to a spot where I could see the other side. When I moved I was looking directly into the eyes of a huge longbeard. I was jiggered immediately. At the same time I heard alarm putting behind me. I looked and there were 4 jakes watching the whole thing unfold. I was able to rotate my upper body enough to get my already raised shotgun on one of them and got my second bird. This was a 17 pound jake with a 5 inch beard. I was perfectly happy with my 2 jakes. That's why they call it hunting!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stephen
Great Bird,,Cool Hat! Way to Go.
A Late Congrats. But a Great Photo and Hunt!
Very Happy ya Did Well.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,524
Posts18,509,733
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.