-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Man I am starting to pull my hair out finding the right 22-250 for me.

I have researched these:
Tikka
Remington model 7
Remington VTR
Sako A7
Savage Model 14
Remington LVSF

And a few others.

I cannot seem to make up my mind. I want to be able to get the rifle and do any accurizing that needs to be done before the middle of November when I start calling again. I already have the money saved for the rifle some accurizing work and a scope.

Right now I'm leaning toward the model 700 LVSF because I can get it used and really cheap from my partner.
The Savage is a close second due to all the positive feedback they get for the trigger and the overall shooting abilty for the price.

I want to keep the rifle/scope to under 7.5-8 pounds.
Can you all help me make up my mind blush?

Last edited by ladrones; 06/23/08.
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
What about a Kimber 84m?

They work laugh

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Anyone would work..
I don't care for the VTR..

If you can get a fast twist barrel, with say a one in 9 twist, that will allow you to shoot 75 and 80 grain A Maxes, which will really stretch the long range potential...

Savage is the only one that offers a factory one in 9 to my knowledge...

otherwise, I'd be going with a Savage Predator or a Model 7 Predator...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
What about a Kimber 84m?

They work laugh

I handled that model a bit at the local shop. I did not like the fit and feel of it. Just not my cup of tea I guess.

Looks like it's working good for you though.

Last edited by ladrones; 06/23/08.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You might wanna check into the Weatherby Vanguard, it's a nice gun and it won't break the bank.

HUNTERS, THE ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!!!
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
i really like savage so i would probably go with them. I have seen savages shoot 1/2"-3/4" right out of the box so you would have to accurize it any. also the howa/vanguards have gotten great reviews. do you want the gun to be pretty or a lean mean hunting machine?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I think you should just call your buddie before you go hunting He can work the light and the call while you use his rifle. I don't think the brand of rifle is as important as is how well you can handle it.most of the yotes I call in are shot at less than 150 yards. Go with the Remington,

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
cz,savage10xp or plain savage 10 predator hunter

ignorance-everyone is born with it, some more than others
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by killahog
I think you should just call your buddie before you go hunting He can work the light and the call while you use his rifle.

No night hunting here in NM. We kill most of our coyotes in shotgun range. Just looking for something new to mess with.

I decided to go with the used 700 lsvf. The action will be blueprinted, stock skimbedded and a new timney trigger will be installed. Then the gun will be cerakoted.

Thanks for all the input.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd skip the action blue printing unless your are putting a new barrel on and skip the skim bed as well and put your money in a Mcmillan classic stock. Then you will have something. Hate the semi beavertail forend.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Tikka or Savage has one with your name on it.....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Right now I'm leaning toward the model 700 LVSF because I can get it used and really cheap from my partner.

DO IT! Your "customizing" will maybe be adjusting the trigger.

The "Right" 22-250 for you MAY come from more time, more thinking, more studying and then........buying something and rebarreling, reworking the action.

Rushing the "right" rifle for long term enjoyment..not a good idea, IMO.

Sides, building one is more fun I hear. Yet to do that myself BUT.. I got a 243 700 that is either gonna be sold or that done to it.

I got my SWIFT VSSF for now but........never know what lies deep within this mind of mine. Heavy forces at work for something "else" too. (Maybe a LIGHT Swift? hmmm)

Good luck
Steve

Last edited by Steve692; 06/29/08.

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Seems like it would take quite a long time to get a Mcmillan stock?
I'm looking into a new barrel. Any recomendations on manufacture and type of barrel? Would really like to keep the gun under 7.5#'s

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Building a barrel...think Pac Nor....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you even fired the rifle yet?

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Exactly what Bobcat says...has it been fired? It may shoot as well with a factory barrel. I've never been one to dump a factory barrel unless I know what it is capable of. I do not see a need to tinker with what works and iffn it were me, I'd work on getting a used mcm and/or scope if it shoots great. I have a lvsf and it shoots lights out even with the wart grin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

231 members (1minute, 16penny, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,551
Posts18,510,366
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.