-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually NYS requires one to attend an NRA standard safety course for getting a pistol permit. Hell, evrybody here has to go through Hunter's Safety before they can get their first hunting license. I don't see a any difference in how it applied.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
In VA, a HS course satisfies the CHP permit requirements, all by itself, and the Hunter Safety course is generally taught in the 7th or 8th grade, to every student in public school who wishes to attend.......... wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Originally Posted by hunter1960
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Originally Posted by hunter1960

The state with an overwhelming vote of Rep's and Sen. decieded upon the training requirements. It's not making you show proficiency to own a handgun, it's showing that you have proficiency with that handgun in public, ie. concealed carry.

I don't have a bit of issue with people having to go through a class and the majority of folks in this state don't either. I've spoken to the Asst. Dir. of the DOS, as to the fact if they've had any complaints regarding having to take the training, their response was no complaints. It was just the opposite with citizens, who wanted a concealed permit, but had no knowledge and experience with a handgun were able to receive it.

Those folks who need it as you mentioned, ladies and the elderly, are getting the training so as not to be a victim of their own gun. People are lazy for the most part, and will not go out and practice, unless they have too. This class not only teaches use of deadly force, along with proper shooting skills. I've never heard of anyone failing, the instructors want people to learn, and teach them to be proficient with the firearm. Spray and pray, isn't a handgun shooting technique.

IMO, the first time someone does fail, the great State of TN is set up for a Heller type lawsuit. Remember keep and bear arms are part of the 2A, and it mentions nothing about having to prove your gun handling skills to the state prior to exercise of that right. Limiting the ownership or carrying of guns from those convicted of felonies is one thing. Limiting those on the basis of phisical ability, tested and approved by arbitrary and subjective standards, brings many issues to the forfront.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
At the present time, with the training requirement, i've never heard of anyone failing. I know a couple of instructors who teach the course, who are LE instructors for agencies. They start out very basic for those who have no experience with handguns. The intent of the course is to teach first, qualify second. The proficiency level is only 70%, all ranges have to be ADA accessible.

The qual. course is only 50rds. with the majority of the rounds fired at the 1yd. 3yd, 5yd. 10yd. 15yd. distance, so it's not something that's impossible to do, even for a beginner. It's an eight hour class, four in the classroom, four on the range. By the time a person with no knowledge or experience, gets done with shooting the practice/training rounds, they have no problem with the qual. round. With the latest SCOTUS ruling, it may or maynot effect the requirement for the training.

hunter,

In practice as it seems to be in TN, I have no real world problem with it. But think about how states like CA and NY would fashion such laws. It's a practice ripe for abuse...even though your state might be doing it the right way...as you well know...in states where the antis rule, they might well require 100% hits on a 6" target, while blind folded, with a .22 Deringer, at 100 yards to "qualify". It's not TN's practice that troubles me, it's the potential abuse.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
That i agree with, there are some states that would make it nearly impossible to obtain a permit, just because they can.

I pray to God, that the SE will never become that way, i don't think it ever would. In many aspects we're lucky, those who are fleeing the North for the SE, are fleeing due to the liberal ideals of the Northern states.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Try North Carolina, and live in one of the, well, more "urban" areas.......

E
E
Personally, I do not see any problem with requiring an individual who wishes to acquire a CCW permit to be required to demonstrate that they are capable of 1) safely handling said weapon 2) safely operating said weapon (hitting what you are shooting at, for those concerned about local gov setting the bar too high...how about the same requirement as the state police) 3) have at least a basic understanding of laws regarding of what constitutes lawful and ununlawful use of force.
As for government regulation of the 2AUSC, I believe some regulation is needed. For example, those convicted of felonies, domestic violence, or those who have certain mental disorders that affect their view of reality (Schizophrenia, manic-depressive, dementia etc) do not need to be carrying a weapon. Part of carrying a weapon is being responsible. If someone shows that they are incapable of doing so (even if its not their fault), they can (and should) lose the ability to do so.

<<Edited for grammar reasons>>

Last edited by eschuh; 06/29/08.
IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Lemme guess, you're in NC, huh?

E
E
No Illinois. Yes it does annoy me that I cannot carry here. As soon as I am done with college (only reason I moved back) I am moving somewhere that allows carry.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Don't move to guilty, err..... Guilford County, NC.......

VA, is a hella nice state, if you have to be east of the big muddy. So is Vermont, except the economy sucks azz......

E
E
I'll probably move back to Colorado. Fishing, skiing, hunting, plus its a beautiful part of the country. Plus its not quite as muggy in the summer (Same reason I hate GA (the 100% humidity and 100F)...Should be nuked from orbit).

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Hard not to like CO.....

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Try North Carolina, and live in one of the, well, more "urban" areas.......

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That's a flippen shame, regarding NC. i've always liked it. It does seem that East of I-77, it gets more liberial. Those areas West of I-77 seem to be more conservative. I don't know if there's any actual fact to it, but it sure does seem that way.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
It ain't that it's more, liberal..... it's more....... "urban"..... comprende'?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
It ain't that it's more, liberal..... it's more....... "urban"..... comprende'?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Can you move West, towards Asheville? It's growing, and has everything that the urban areas have except all the folks. It still has areas that aren't crowded, and in an hour or less you can be in the mountains.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

480 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 15,889 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,907
Posts18,538,856
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.