Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Wonder what size of shot Joe was using, that must have hurt!

I carried some #2's in my back for 20 years from goose hunting in North Dakota.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
deerfearme,

If you are home asleep and someone breaks into your house and you have a pistol in your nightstand you stand by and let them take whatever they want because life's not worth taking over theft?

You'll probably say you'll hold them at gunpoint until the cops show up but what if they do not comply with you? You let them escape or you shoot. What if they make threats towards you?

My point is that if the situation if justified and in this situation my opinion is that it was, theft can and is a reason to get shot.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
E
E
Generally, most places have a Castle Doctrine where you are not required to retreat from a conflict (or take any steps to avoid it) in your home. However, once the assailant broken off, you are not justified to continue use of force. ie (in Illinois) If someone breaks into my home or fixed place of business and I shoot him (#1) and his buddy flees and ceases to become a threat (#2) and I still shoot the second guy, the first shooting is justified while the second is murder since the second person posed no threat at the time of shooting.
However, if #2 flees and still poses a threat, ie shooting as he flees and I drop him, its a clean shoot.
Self defense requires that you use only the necessary level of force to end the immediate threat of serious bodily harm to you or another. Shooting a rapest/murderer = good, dropping a shoplifter = bad.
Also, Mr. Horn said, that he "did not know the neighbor real well". While he was very lucky that the individuals were truely not suppose to be there, it could have been otherwise.

Last edited by eschuh; 06/30/08.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
If somebody breaks into my house, that's an unknown threat. I will wait for them in the bedroom and call the police. If they come in, they get one warning (if possible) before I shoot.

What this guy did was different in that he went out into his yard with a shotgun looking for guys that weren't even breaking into his house. What makes it even more questionable in my opinion is that both guys were shot in the back, which I would think an immediate threat to one's health would be facing them.

"To give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Just simple pest control. smile Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, I got to say that grand jury makes me proud to be a Texan and proud of Harris County, where I was born.

I reckon ol' Joe had the situation pretty well scoped out, and the two Columbians pushed their luck too far, or didn't realize what kind of gringo they were dealing with. Seems like he made sure it wasn't just the homeowners drunk brother in law or something like that.

I'm sure the folks at La Raza will be raising all kinds of hell over this. Lucky for him the perps weren't black.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I will wait for them in the bedroom and call the police. If they come in, they get one warning (if possible) before I shoot.

Totally stupid move and bleeding heart thinking that could cost you or your family member's life.

If they were to come into my home there will be no warning
period.

There are some very bad people out there who are nothing but predators or desperado's like these wetbacks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Crime is what it is today because it is mostly against the law to protect your property anymore. There was a time you could be shot for trespassing if the property was posted, and property crime was far less prevalent. I am sorry, and I am NOT a vigilante, but criminals should be AFRAID to ply their trade, fear is the only thing that deters them IMHO.

If they are willing to risk the consequences I am more than willing to do my best to see they pay.

Is MY property worth YOUR life? THAT is up to YOU to decide. I would just as soon leave YOU alone as long as YOU leave ME alone.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

E
E
Warning shots are stupid (no offense) most homes in the US do not have walls that will stop any type of ammunition. Keep in mind that those bullets (esp from rifles like the AR that "everyone" seems to have for HD) will keep going. Don't people learn to positively identify targets before they shoot?
Where I live we just had an incident where a guy thought someone was breaking in (was actually his girlfriend, but thats another issue), so he openned fire and ended up shooting the girlfriends 7 yearold kid.
I am all for defending the home, but make sure 1) you know what you are shooting at and 2) that know where that bullet is going if you miss your target.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Joe was mighty lucky he lives where he lives. There are many jurisdictions where his life would be ruined, with prison and bankruptcy in his future. Like every blue state.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Deerfearme, answer me this; do you believe in training a criminal how to ply his trade successfully?
Every time someone foolishly thinks "Is it worth taking his life over a TV set? Well, if you don't he learns that he can get away with it. He just gets bolder from then on out. I say make it a Darwin category activity.
I could care less about the life of a criminal and refuse to be cowed by such vermin.
Life is tough, unfortunately we haven't been skimming the dross off the bottom of the gene pool.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My property is worth killing someone over, and good on Joe Horn for eliminating two pieces of trash. I would have done the same. Threat, no threat, no matter; someone on my property stealing my property, or on property for which I'm responsible, IS a threat, and as such shall be eliminated.

Last edited by mike762; 06/30/08.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35
I will wait for them in the bedroom and call the police. If they come in, they get one warning (if possible) before I shoot.

Totally stupid move and bleeding heart thinking that could cost you or your family member's life.

If they were to come into my home there will be no warning
period.

There are some very bad people out there who are nothing but predators like these wetbacks.

I have to respectfully disagree SU35, my first shot is a warning shot, if they are quick enough to interpret the click, before the boom they've been warned, otherwise they are carrying lead. wink

true enough my TV or vcr ain't worth anyone's life, even a scumbag thiefs.

but my peace of mind that is the sanctuary my home provides for me and my family is, btw I gave up time away from my family (precious to me) to pay for that home, and in fact did the same for the TV and vcr.

heck if a guy took the time and told me how bad he needed my TV or vcr, I'd probably give it to him for a good cause, (and no Jose that don't include your drug habit) but for him to come on to my property that I paid for, break into my house that I paid for, create a sense of unease and lack of security for my family.....

I'll kill you all day long everyday for trying to take that away from my family whether that be your intent or not.

don't want shot, stay the [bleep] away from me and mine.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by deerfearme
If somebody breaks into my house, that's an unknown threat. I will wait for them in the bedroom and call the police. If they come in, they get one warning (if possible) before I shoot.

What this guy did was different in that he went out into his yard with a shotgun looking for guys that weren't even breaking into his house. What makes it even more questionable in my opinion is that both guys were shot in the back, which I would think an immediate threat to one's health would be facing them.

You're a dumbphuck.

Some SOB breaks into my house at night, he is an IMMEDIATE, PRESENT, and DIRE threat to myself and my family. He is also one dead SOB, as soon as I draw a bead, regardless of angle.

Judge by 12; carried by 6. Your choice......

Deer might fear you, but criminals daydream about you.....

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

Why not just put anything of value in a nice pile, out in the yard? To prevent any confrontation and any chance of having a spine. Please, gently flush the sand from your mangina and cancel any visits to Texas. It's all good.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Joe acted like a good neighbor by NOT hiding in his bedroom and calling the police. I'd like to have Joe for a neighbor...As for the perps they knew the job was dangerous when they started...(or should have)

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'll kill you all day long everyday for trying to take that away from my family whether that be your intent or not.

Dang! I like your way with words.

My first cousin and father of 3 children had a home invasion late one night, the guy got away. His kids never got over it. They slept in his bedroom for the next year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Deer might fear you, but criminals daydream about you.....

oh man that was good Sean!

don't mean to pile on the new guy, I'm glad there are kind, understanding folks in this world.

but for neighbors, give me Joe Horn, or Sean or any of you other heathens that'd give em the express ticket to hell. YMMV

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mike762
My property is worth killing someone over, and good on Joe Horn for eliminating two pieces of trash. I would have done the same. Threat, no threat, no matter; someone on my property stealing my property, or on property for which I'm responsible, IS a threat, and as such shall be eliminated.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
We don't have the same laws as in TX in this state. Any witnesses or any way of tracing it back to you and you'll be facing a Grand Jury. That i am sorry to say, might not have the same results as Mr. Horn.

If you took the same situation and applied it to TN criminal & court laws and procedures, i truly and sadly know that it wouldn't be the same outcome.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The new guy has established himself as a lot left of center. If he can't stand the heat...

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (160user, 10ring1, 222ND, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,571
Posts18,531,909
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.