Print Thread
Hop To
J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have been wanting a Mountie for as long as I can remember and ran across one in a gunshop last week. Wife and I had gone up to the N. GA mts. for a hike and stopped by a shop I had never been in. Did not have any money on me but got the guys phone#. Called Saturday and he said $350 OTD for cash.

Gun is in average shape I guess and I may have paid too much but they ain't getting any cheaper. Not beat up but looks like 40+ years of honest use. Not abuse. Shoots and functions great.

Trying to figure out when it was made. It has a 20" barrel with the rounded lever. It looks as if the 2nd letter of the SN did not take well when stamped and I'm not sure. I THINK it is AO2XXXX. The "O" is not formed completely and could be a C. Anyone have any ideas what the SN should be and ideas on year of manufacture.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thanks for the link. It looks like it is an "AC" because it did not find any matches for the SN of "AO". Mine was made if 1967.

Last edited by JMR40; 07/02/08.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It is probably AC for 1967. I found one a couple of years ago, made in �69, for $300. I was very happy to find it. It now goes with my �63 vintage 39A that I got new as a teenager. The Mounties seem to be getting harder and harder to find.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fwiw & imho,
Harder to find AND the most desirable configuration ever made...imho

I can't imagine why Marlin is not still building 20" Carbines...

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a Mountie without the cross-bolt saftey. Don't recall the year of manufacture. but is one of my FAVORITE 22's...Great little rifle!
Virgil B.

J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
fwiw & imho,

Regards, Matt.

My feelings exactly. That is why I was glad to get it for $350 and drove 150 miles round trip to go back for it. Have been wanting one for years. I have found them for sale when I did not have the funds. This is the first time I found one for sale when I had the money to pay for it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
fwiw & imho,

Regards, Matt.

Ditto. I've owned several Marlin 39's over the years. The one that stayed is a 1960 39A Mountie. I installed an similar vintage Redfield 70 Series receiver sight and a Redfield sourdough front sight insert. I also had the trigger tuned to a dead crisp 3 pounds.

I own several really nice 22 rifles, but the little Marlin is by FAR my favourite.

[Linked Image]

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by RickF

<snip>

the little Marlin is by FAR my favourite.

<snip>

That must be why I own eight Marlins 39's... I own many other 22's too.

Bill

Last edited by Stillwater; 07/24/08.
WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JMR40
I have been wanting a Mountie for as long as I can remember and ran across one in a gunshop last week. Wife and I had gone up to the N. GA mts. for a hike and stopped by a shop I had never been in. Did not have any money on me but got the guys phone#. Called Saturday and he said $350 OTD for cash.

Gun is in average shape I guess and I may have paid too much but they ain't getting any cheaper. Not beat up but looks like 40+ years of honest use. Not abuse. Shoots and functions great.

Trying to figure out when it was made. It has a 20" barrel with the rounded lever. It looks as if the 2nd letter of the SN did not take well when stamped and I'm not sure. I THINK it is AO2XXXX. The "O" is not formed completely and could be a C. Anyone have any ideas what the SN should be and ideas on year of manufacture.

Bought my '69 Mountie in a shop outside Dawsonville, GA in 2002. I saw it and never looked at the price tag until I got to the counter. It was in 98%+ condition and I paid $429 if memory serves me correctly. Only gun I didn't try to negotiate the price on, ever! I may have paid too much back then but am glad I have it now.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
I've got a Mountie without the cross-bolt saftey. Don't recall the year of manufacture. but is one of my FAVORITE 22's...Great little rifle!
Virgil B.

Hi Virgil !

I have been looking for one like that, too. One of my dumber tricks was to sell the one I had.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found mine at a gunshop in Salem, Or. About a 60 mile drive, but well worth it! Now I'd like to find one of the shorter "trapper" length rifles to go with it!
Virgil B.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I just aquired a mountie about 3 weeks ago,mounted a scope on it and I am impressed with the lil waskal,deadly accurate and functions flawlessly,mine is an AC serial wich was made in 1967 and I have a funny feeling this will become one of my favorites 22 rimfire rifles......................

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
you guys make me feel ashamed for selling my '56 vintage mounty a couple years ago. i realy realy liked that rifle and have regretted selling it. i will have another one day.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have one I bought new in 1969. One of the great guns ever built. Shoots incredible. Just mounted a scope as my old eyes can't see the front site thru the peep any more. It will be the last to go.

MOLON LABE

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,454 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,681
Posts18,493,892
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.