Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2301967 07/09/08
P
preach Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I'm sure this is answered somewhere but I couldn't find it. I just bought a pre war 99 in 250 and I want to shoot it some, but I don't want to drill holes. Stith mounts seem next to impossible to find. Someone told me there is a guy making them now, anyone know anything about that? I know they were made to shoot with the iron, but I do want to hit what I shoot at, the deer would appreciate accurate shots I'm sure.

Freedom aint free: Jesus bought freedom from sin with His blood; American soldiers bought the freedom of the world with theirs:
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are some being made, but they are all spoken for as far as I know. Glen or Steve will jump in if I'm wrong.

Given any thoughts to a tang sight? It's amazing how well they shoot, especially if you're out east where you most likely don't have 300 yard shots.

Worst case is that you can keep an eye on the auction sites, and some $$ available in your billfold. You can get Stiths, it just costs..

Best case? Enjoy that 99, and then go buy another that's d&t already for hunting. One 99 is never enough once you get started! grin

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
So far I've built 5 no-drill mounts by welding extensions on a Redfield 1 piece mount and fitting it to the tang holes and a dovetail block in the rear sight slot. The welding is expensive and the hand fitting is tedious but they have worked well. I've posted pictures a couple of times on how it looks.

When I get retired at the end of the year I'm going to try to refine the process.

How many of you would buy one for something in the $150 (hopefully less) range?

P
preach Offline OP
OP Offline
P
This is my second 99 the first is an eg made in Chicopee, did I spell that right, that is drilled and tapped in 300 Savage and it shoots lights out, but me being the modern man that I am wanted flatter faster so I bought the 250. If it shoots as well as the 300 one could easily make 300 yard shots and where I live you could shoot 1000 if you were nuts. It is just an immaculate piece that I probably shouldn't even shoot, but that aint going to happen. I don't even know why I am intrigued by these guns but ever since I picked up that first one it seems I look at them every night on the internet. Is there some kind of spirit attached to these things that compels a man? I may be interested in your mount after I look for a Stith. I found three one for $300 one for $325 and one for $425, the 425 comes with a Weaver K4. I have a K4 but after buying the 99 which I paid too much for, see why I asked if there is a spirit, funds are low, eBay here I come.

Freedom aint free: Jesus bought freedom from sin with His blood; American soldiers bought the freedom of the world with theirs:
P
preach Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I am brand new with 99's and after looking at my 300 I don't know for sure what it is. I was told it was an EG but I can't find that anywhere on the gun. All I know is I really like it, swivel studs have been added and it was probably not factory drilled, (I don't know) but like I said earlier it shoots lights out with handloads and I am going to use it on deer.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most Savage 99's don't have the model on them. If it's an EG it will have a schnabel forearm, be a solid frame with a pistol grip rather than being a takedown, and have a 24" barrel.

P
preach Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks, I suppose they were right. That describes my 300 to a T. The 250 I just purchases does not have the schnabel forearm, and there are no extra holes in it. Is there any web sites where someone can find what is factory and what is not, or were there so many 99's that it would be impossible to capture in a single book?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There is a single book that will cover 95% of the models. Get a copy of Murray's, the information on how to order it is under the "Misc. Good Info" thread at the top. It's worth every penny, though it is not complete or totally accurate.

To just view a lot of the different models you can head to www.savagela.org and look in the pictures section. Les has pictures of most of the models there.

If your 250 doesn't have a schnabel forearm AND isn't d&t'd, I think that would narrow it down to a pre-war 99R or 99H. Or a rifle with replaced stock. grin

Check out the early 99R's and the 99H's at that web site and see if it looks like your 250.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If it ain't there, I'm still waiting for single pics of the missing Models. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

P
preach Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hey guys I have been out of commission with a back surgery that almost sent me to heaven (I hope). There was a nice man that answered this thread with an offer of a stith mount for this same pre war 99 in 250. I am very interested in the mount if you are still out there or if there is someone else that has one. I believe I want the 1" one to go with a Weaver K-2.5 I have in my safe. I shot the rifle and I just don't have the eyes to go with the iron sights. I did manage one 3" group at 100 yards but we are not going to talk about the rest of them. What a rifle, why can't someone build something like this today for under $3000?

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Mike I would take at least 1, of your mounts, and Im sure more, as funds and time go bu! Thanks John

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Welcome back,Preach. Glad you made it through your ordeal.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,930
Posts18,518,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.