Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bill_I Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Did some shooting today on my home range. 12 year old Marlin 60 SS / 22lr that we won in a gun raffle back then. It wears a Simmons 4x 22 Mag scope which I painted dark grey as I did not care for the shiny grey from factory. The gun has the older 22� barrel and 15 round capacity. I am getting it ready for a lil woodchuck hunting.

I am currently with out a rim mag as I have opted for the 22Hornet the last few years. The cost of rim mag ammo went up considerably and I reload the Hornet for the same. Eventually, I just didn�t have a need for rim mags. Its been a very long time sense I have been with out a rim mag.

With cons there are always pros. The departure of the rim mag has brought the 22lr�s back into the picture. I currently have two sporters in 22lr. A older Ruger bolt action and this Marlin semi auto. Both shoot well have taken varmints and do the job for roving while being economical and fun.

I have normally used value plinker ammo, mini mags and for quality ammo Eley white rabbit with the latter shooting best in the Marlin followed by mini mags.

There was VERY GUSTY WINDS TODAY AND WORST AT A 90 DEGREE RIGHT TO LEFT CROSS. Despite that I shot some Velocitors which grouped VERY poor from the Marlin. I also shot Winchester Super X Power Points with there deep, carnivorous hollow point cavity and blunt squared off nose which appears to be a very good varmint bullet. They caught my eye in Steve B�s. excellent book on rimfire ammo (Riflemans Guide To Rim Fire Ammo) because of the excellent terminal ballistics which left one knurly looking slug, good accuracy for sporting ammo and small deviations in velocity. I had shot these before plinking but really did not pay attention.

Despite the winds the Winchester Power Points were impressive. The 10 shot / 50 yard group below has 7 of 10 in the .4�s with 3 wind gust flyers or myself pulling. I shot many groups trying to avoid the wind and they were impressive. Surprisingly right there with Eley White Rabbit from this gun with this lot anyways. At 50 yards I also blew apart several pieces of fruit and a couple water bottles. The bullets terminal ballistics were impressive. Time to test them on some Woodchucks. I think I found a common purchase 22lr ammo to replace the Mini Mags.

I have not been able to find any Agulia 22lr ammo locally.

Soon on a no wind day I will range test again. Experience tells me that from the Marlin it will produce 10 shot group as one cluster���..for now its ready to bag a few Woodchucks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"I ain't as good as I once was but, I'm as good once as I ever was"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck with a .22 hollow point in its head?!! LOL.

Nice write up--be sure to post some pics of dead woodchucks!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,821
Posts18,477,839
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.