Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
ctam Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi - I am seeking the opinion of those who have used / handled both the Dednutz and the Talley LW mounts. Are the dedntuz similar in weight to the Talleys, or are the Talleys still the best choice for a light weight mount?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Talley Lows lighter.

Dednutz Xtra Lows lower.

Both rock solid.

Are you THAT worried about a couple oz?

GE

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Talleys.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Have you used Dednutz? If so why the Talley's?

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Talleys are trimmer, slimmer, lighter, look better, and I can't find any fault with them.

I've handled the Dednutz stuff, and a couple rifles with them, and can't say they are a bad set-up. I just find Talleys more appealing, and can't see changing something that definitely ain't broke.

IC B2

N
N
I have both, and prefer the 1 piece dnz system. Plus the talleys seem to scatch the scope if you remove it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The real advantage with the DNZ (and the reason I have a set, but many more Talleys) is it does drop the scope a tad lower.

Doecamper had issues the the Talleys being too high for her to maintain cheek contact with her M7. I switched to DNZ and a 2-7x32 Cabelas Alaskan Guide and it fits her perfectly.

I continue to be absolutely amazed by Talleys stubborn refusal to offer an xtra low mount in the lightweight series for glass with up to 36mm objectives. Lightweight rings for lightweight rifles that (surprise) are ideally suited to lightweight 32 mm to 36 mm scopes.

Grrrr ...

GE

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I pick Talley based on experience. But if I remember correctly Dednutz is attached with only three screws, which is not a system I prefer.

Brent

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Every scope that I have removed out of Talley LW's has had ring marks/dents on them. Although I was never the one to mount them so I don't know how hard the "screwed" them down. I always use a torque screwdriver on mine and am very careful so I don't know if that would help. I still have LW's on one rifle that being my NULA which I see the weight savings being worth it.

I would like to try the dednutz someday though. I will probably get a set for my BAR safari 338WM, it has leupolds on it now which I hate.

My favorite by far is the Warne maxima rings, they are very tough and if you are the kind that likes to swap scopes around very often they don't leave ring marks and I consider them to be a better option when I am not worried about the extra 5-6oz.

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nhhuNter1
Plus the talleys seem to scatch the scope if you remove it.

I've heard more than a handful of people say that about the Talley lightweights ... but I've had a few sets of them, and had multiple scopes run thru each set ... and without exception, NONE of my scopes have exhibited any 'ring marks' from the Talleys ... I mean, even simple surface rub marks ...

also, never have had a scope "slip" in my talleys either ...

I love talley lightweights on a hunting rig ... while they could be lower, they are plenty low enough for me ... the price is right, they are tough, light, good looking (my opinion, obviously) ... they just flat out work, and well ...

-WGM-
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by okbowman
I pick Talley based on experience. But if I remember correctly Dednutz is attached with only three screws, which is not a system I prefer.

Brent

While I don't have any experience with Dednutz mounts, considering if mounts both are good quality a one peice base is always stronger than a two piece even with only three screws.

I prefer two peice mounts like Talley's but I know going into it I'm giving up a little strength in trade for asthetics, a little less weight, and easier chamber access (though the latter has never posed a real problem for me).

That is many tactical mounts used by military and police are one peice bases.

Bill

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Talley needs to make some ex-low's and just solve this problem once and for all <G>.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Talley needs to make some ex-low's and just solve this problem once and for all <G>.

Emphasis on low mounting is frequently overrated vis a vis eye alignment.....within limits of course.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was looking over the Deadnutz mount for the M70 Winchester last week. The one I examined was designed with four screws - maybe they have updated their design.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Talley LW's have never left me wanting anything more or less

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

Emphasis on low mounting is frequently overrated vis a vis eye alignment.....within limits of course.

+1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the DN's mounts on my Savage as the rings are closer than a two piece mount and it gives me more choice on scopes and placement.
[Linked Image]

erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
DNZ's design has 4 screws, or at least the set I put on my Model 7 a month ago did.

I must say that I am extremely impressed with the DNZ mounting system.

I think they look great as well...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FVA

+1

+2 ...

-WGM-
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by WGM
Originally Posted by FVA

+1

+2 ...

+3

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,955
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.