Page 47 of 1,842 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 1841 1842
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Stan,

Happy Birthday my friend and may you enjoy Many, Many More!!! wink

Weazy,

Can't believe you let Dad get the spirit all boozed up with Miller for crying out loud. Once the wood spirit gets alittle Miller he wants alot more and daily sometimes too, now MrsNorthnDave your Mom will be constantly running to the store for more Miller and Meat for the Grill. UNLESS you and the Boy keep the meat pole full with fresh venison and fish, it is now your duty to get the boy and yourself out to the cabin and in the woods after old forkytoes. Go get it done or your Mom will have her hands full... laugh wink

Dave, If you tell me too much about waterfowl, pike and crappie let alone deer closeby to the cabin I just might head to the cabin and move in each fall. blush grin

Just finished picking the guys up off the river took them 31 hours to cover around 150 miles I forget the exact number but they paddled through a thunderstorm, got down to 62 lastnight and they were wet and cold.. So they jump into the river as the water was 73 or so to warmup they also built a fire and had a warm meal then off again. Thats one of the few stops they made and it only last 2 hours. I was impressed...

Other then that I've been throwing the softball around to the kids practicing on thier batting and catching, been along weekend but fun. Even my old patina catching truck is tired of running.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
you want some patina? I got your patina. I got patina in the back of my shorts form fishing in 6 footers from a 17' boat, and I got patina in the front of my shorts from reading the posts from the last few days blush crazy

dave, you look shinier than your woody...i mean wood sprit in your pics. It goes to show that high life is the gift of the gods if the spirts like it too. grin

craig, i can hear you know... hear Patina, hear girl, come on, yeah that's my big sweety.

and I can't forget Stan. HAPPY B-LATED B-DAY buddy. cool

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Well guys, we're back from the woods. Something about being out there just relaxes me, I damn near took a nap but if I did it would have likely turned into an allnighter & I have to work tomorrow so I faught it off.

We got ole woody hung up next to the wood stove facing the wall of couches where he can keep an eye on all the BS & fun going on. He'll hang there until we get the BS room built then He'll probably have to hold down that fort. Jim says he has humor & likes to be around people & stories so that will be his home soon.

Here's ole woody chillin by the wood stove.
[Linked Image]

Yeah, well I don't even know If I want to show you guys this next picture, there's a big buck stomping up my road. I mean really big, I almost got the truck stuck in one of his tracks.

Have a look see.... is that a big ole buck track or what?
[Linked Image]
Yeah buddy, looks like it's time to dust off the elephant gun!! crazy grin whistle

OK, here's the side of the shack that needs the most work, the sauna/BS room addition. What you see here sticking out for a floor frame was to be for the sauna... well now we want a Bar type fun room as well so the width will double. We're thinking to the right on this photo we will add another 8' of floor width. It's currently 8' wide & comes out from the main cabin 16'. I've got a bunch of lumber & sheeting stacked up on that floor frame right now cause it's the best place I've got out there to keep it up off the ground.
[Linked Image]
We'll likely swap the sauna to the right & put the fun room facing the front of the cabin (where the sauna floor is now).

And finally, a windshield view coming out of the deer camp on the trail.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wabster, good to hear your jarhead buddies made it through, I hope they got what they wanted out of that trip.

Thanks all for the replies, time to hit the rack here pretty soon.

Dave

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
HOTAMIGHTY,what a track!That bigun needs ambushing.
Mrs.ND,your additions to the thread are ALWAYS a breath of fresh air.Please drop in more often.
All you guys birthday wishes are muchly appreciated.
Great pictures,Dave.Need more and more.Adds visualization to the cabin.
My home town is in west Georgia right on the Chattahoochee river.
It's about two hundred miles down the river to the gulf of Mexico.When I was in high school my dad and I,along with a bunch from the town motored down the river to the bay.All told we had six powered boats.Took four days.This was in the middle 1950's long before any of the dams were built such as the one at Eufaula,Alabama.The Chattahoochee forms the boundary between Alabama and Georgia for a long way.We slept on sand bars and fished along the way and the adults consumed lotsa beer.We shot at turtles sitting on the rocks with .22 rifles.It was a great trip for a 14 year old.I'm sure you couldn't do today all that we did.
Today is going to be a great day.I sense that the wood spirit is strong today.

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
G'damn wood spirit let me down this morning!! I got a speeding ticket on the way to work!!

I guess he should have been riding shotgun with me instead of hanging on the wall way out at deer camp. grin

Check this out, the golden child does it again. It wasn't enough to haul home that awesome BWCA northern a week ago. The boy figures that Northern might get lonely on the wall so he goes out & catches this guy over the weekend. 46" Muskie!!
[Linked Image]

Dave

Something clever here.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm tellin' ya dave,

You HAVE to find that horse shoe pile. Remember to plug you nose if you go under.

tell "The Golden Boy" congrats from tzone...AGAIN. I hope he has a big wall in his room with all that stuff he's been puting on it.

'ol forkey toes grew a little from last year 'eh.

Should have showed the Popo that pulled you over the pic of the deer track. He would understand that you were trying to get the hell out of there before he starts to rut. I figgure you'd be just about the right size. smile

Tom

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
hey, you were my 1000th post. cool. 1001 too I guess smile

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
one towsand posts!!

hey, see how tall that damn grass is getting around the shack?

I can't even tell where my trails are anymore!!

I called last night on a used 5' rotary mower for the 3 point/pto on my little blue tractor. Guy wants $650 for it, I might go take a look at it tonight. Says it's a Massy, never seen one before but I suppose it's like any other 5' mower.

I gotta get one though because them bugs love that tall grass & the tall grass is creeping in on the shack!!

Not to mention my trails!!

Dave

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The grass will keep those mice down a little too.

Hey, I learned a trick last weekend to keep mice away that you could probably use. Fill the edges and cracks to the out side with steel wool. The mice won't chew through it to get in like the will with insulation. Places like around windows and doors behind the trim.

A perfect spot to do it would be when you connect the new addition to the cabin. Put it between all the new framing and "old" building, and then put your sheeting over it.

Have you looke into the mowers to pull behind the wheeler? I'm not sure how much they are put might be somthing to look at too.

Tom

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Have a look see.... is that a big ole buck track or what?
[Linked Image]

You're a phuggin beauty man..... grin grin

Never a dull moment.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yeah I've looked at em, but the 3 point pto units are handy, you pay for strength, heavy blades, hevy deck, heavy gearbox. instead of paying for a drive engine you are paying for heavier steel & the little blue tractor is a 30HP, it does just fine with a 5 footer behind it. I see I can pick up a "king Kutter" brand 5 footer rated to 40 HP with a solid rear tire, a slip clutch & a stump jumper blade set up for about $860

deck is 12 gauge, I wish it was 10 though. But I think I'd be happier with a solid rear tire & a slip clutch for my intended use.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Could be a lot less manitenance with the solid rear tire too. Espically since you'll be running it in the woods. Won't be affeceted by by the weather either. Nothing worse than having a flat when you forgot to throw the compresser in the truck.

$860 sounds pretty good for new. If your worried about the steel, maybe a guy could weld or bolt a piece of steel to the front of the mower or something.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Just called a local tractor supply company & they have them in stock, they can set me up with a 5 footer with a slip clutch for about $770.

that's probably the way to go for us, solid rear tire, brand new, and a slip clutch on the PTO shaft, all for about a hundred bucks more than this guy wants for his used one with sheer pin drive & a baloon tire in back.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's considerable less than I just paid for this 4 footer. Devirginized it this weekend at Shooterville. Worked well....

[Linked Image]

Except - the Kubota dude can't seem to get the front bracket for my suitcase weights - wants to lift the front end every time you try to back up...

And I cut the top off so many racks I think I need a new set of blades already! Maybe should have got a rock locator first.

Happy birthday Stan! And good patina to the rest of you. This weekends contribution to patina is smeared bugs and Kippered snack juice. Kiddo loves kippers now. Mom ain't gonna like this....

Craig

Wood is Good.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sheesh! Where do I start?? A LOT of activity this weekend I see!

Weezy - So cool that you posted up and captured the 'ol man with his new drinking buddy! Thats good stuff indeed! Come on more often!

Dave - Yep! I'm thinking that is exactly how your supposed to use 'ol woody". As you mentioned, he likes to have fun and listen to stories. Heck with a few high life's down his neck, he might even tell a few. My Archery Talk buddy Jeff from WI carves those along with many, many other things (bears etc.)with a chainsaw and carving tools. Very, very talented man and one heck of a nice guy too! I've clued him in on this thread and when he gets time he wants to read it. He is good 'ol boy like everyone else on here so I'm sure he will enjoy every word. Wow that is one heck of a buck track Dave. Better raise your stands a few feet before they go missing from antler entanglement! Give a shout when you want to work on the cabin. I'll do my best to come up and help.

MrsND - Always a pleasure! I wouldn't worry too much about Dave and Woody the Spirt unless you see Dave carving things out of black walnut that resembles boobs. Until then everything should be fine. smile

Stan - Happy B-lated Birthday! May you have many, many more! I can tell you have lots and lots of experience and wisdom to share so we need you around for a long time!

Rooster

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Craig got him the squeeler!! That's a serious mower right there, you won't ever buy another one cause you'll never bend or break that one!!!

That's what I really want but like you said, very pricey!!

I'm jeleous!

Rooster, figured you would like that deer track & those wood spirit photos.

Now you gotta come up & see him!!
(woody)

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Dave on that slip clutch you may have to cut your PTO shaft down on the mower in order for everything to work. The shaft on that 5 foot 3 point finishing mower I bought is too long to install the slip clutch. I get by without it but I can see where it would be nice to have especailly if your swinging that heavy blade around on the brush mower your looking at.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
the old 5 footer woods brand mower I borrowed from Twisty (twistedone) on the campfire here last year had a slip clutch & I made it slip a couple of times, I'm thinking the slip clutch is a good thing.If I have to cut something down, shorten, re-fit or what ever I should have the tools & equip to do it at home & if I don't, I'll bring it in to work & do it.

G'damn craig had to post that super wicked cool bush hog squeeler.... now I want one of them... damn it!!

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Price do make you - - squeal.

Turns out the guy I dealt with is the son of the guy running the place. Sr quoted me a price way too low. After waitning 3 weeks for the Kubota orange one (Sr said a week) Jr jumps in on the deal and gives me the red one for what Sr said, but swears he's losing about $400. Sr is around 75, very very nice, set the whole thing up for me. Very patient, Jr should be proud.

I'd feel bad about it, but waiting, you know. And it'd really be sexy if it was orange. Hot.

Trouble is - do I have too much mower or too little tractor? Ain't either one going away soon. Better just mow.

Craig

Wood is Good.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
AAAARRGGGGHHHH...beer...power tools...deer...duck ponds...wood spirits...robot girls...big fishes....grilling...SENSORY OVERLOAD

Did ja hear dat...what...who...where...oh not the forky toes track.

Need to go to the cave it is better in the cave, sniffing the orange, caress the wool, pop the tops...

I CAN'T TAKE THE SUMMER WITHDRAWLS NEED MORE PICS TO OFFSET THE INSANITY

Page 47 of 1,842 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 41 invisible), 2,139 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,460
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.