Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Give Kimber credit - over at Kimber they are smart enough NOT to offer an accuracy guarantee with the rifles they make.

Think about that.

There are reasons for everything in this world.

Well stated! I'd cut my losses and start over. I've tossed around the idea of a Kimber for a while. But, I'll be giving my money to another company more deserving. One with customer service. What good is a product with no one to stand behind it? Especially with a price like that. Money is to hard to come by for a gamble.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 7mmfreak
I have had bad experiences with HCR both with my own rifle and customer guns.

Care to elaborate. I'd be interested in your exprerience.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Two stand out in my mind. They built a .280AI for me that was incorrectly headspaced and did not want to fix it so I had it corrected elsewhere. Against my advice a customer wanted one of his rifles by Mountain Riflery (John Bolliger) "accurized" by HCR. The straddle floorplate somehow managed to break and required welding and refinishing to fix. Thankfully, I had insured the rifle for it's full value.
I know lots of people who are happy with their work but I will not do business with them if I can help it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If you buy another factory Kimber,you could end up in the same position...or everything could be fine.Rebarreling, or rebedding, recrowning, etc is money better spent.

I have frequently been dissapointed in factory rifles; I have RARELY been let down by good custom barrels and custom work.The Kimber has some nice features and if I wanted one badly, I would plan on spending some extra bucks on it;you should end up with a better rifle.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
sell it an buy a Weatherby MarkV ultralight in .270 Winchester! Get a real cartridge instead of that puny 7-08! (smile)

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Now to shoot the smallest possible 100-yard groups with the thing I have found that holding the fore-end works best, but for practical hunting scenarios, it's not real relevant even out to as far as 600 yards, which is a LOOOONG poke and further than I'd shoot at game anyway...

I have had excellent results just holding the Kimber in my hands to shoot it. I do this from the bench by resting the back of my left forearm or wrist on the bag.

pillpeddler,

Give this rifle some more time. Check the screw tensions and bring a driver to the range.

Here DJpaintless says he shoots these light rifles well by holding the forearm down on the bag. He gets very small groups but I would say that just holding the rifle the way you would shoot it at game yet making yourself steady from a bench duplicates real field use. Try that.

Get back to us on how it does.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
i dont know why anyone would spend that kind of money on a kimber and then have to spend more to get it to shoot well.

this is 2008. a new car is built better than they were 20-30-60 years ago. why shuold you pay new price when you can get a weatherby or tikka that will shoot fine right out of the box for a lot less money?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So what options are out there if my want/need is a five pound rifle before adding anything to it? Please enlighten me on what options are out there to put together or buy off-the-shelf to get me to five pounds. Please include prices as well. Thanks.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Whttl in mt, that is exaclty my dilema.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Remington Mtn rifle, with a Ti, Bansner, Brown Pounder, or Edge stock, will get you close. Mine with a Ti, is 5lbs 12oz before scope. I really don't know how to get it any lighter, and it feels like a BB gun as is.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
annie: The answer is easy;first,it's not uncommon to find a factory rifle that needs tweaking. If you expect an over the counter rifle to really perform all the time, it just won't happen.Second, the Kimber has some nice features that just need some tweaking to bring out the full potential.

The stocks are very nice,handsome,and well shaped; good trigger, M70 type safety.The rifle is light, nice handling, etc.Besides even with the cost of a new barrel, it's still cheaper than ordering a full custom. I for one would rather spend the money gussing up a Kimber than buying a Tikka or Weatherby,which, notwithstanding their virtues, I really don't care for.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd lean towards tweaking or rebarreling. I'd lean towards rebarreling since you could get a better quality barrel of a contour of your choice and know it will shoot. I prefer a slightly thicker barrel contour. All this for only a few hundred more than all the tweaking. If you want to try and save money I'd tweak first, but definitly rebed the rifle.

For some reasons the 7-08 seem to be the ones with all the problems. The 308 seem to shoot fine out of the box.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been shooting Kimber 84M's and 8400's since they came out. I have been to the plant more than once etc.

The first common sense thing to do with a Kimber or any other rifle for that matter thats not shooting well is to look it over yourself.

Making sure that everything is tight, change the scope and loads, check and touch up the bedding if necessary and break the corner on the crown before spending. It makes sense to me as I have proven it works

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
mliang: Ditto that on the rebarrel. remove all doubt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
So what options are out there if my want/need is a five pound rifle before adding anything to it? Please enlighten me on what options are out there to put together or buy off-the-shelf to get me to five pounds. Please include prices as well. Thanks.

an extra few ounces that a tikka has will not kill anyone or likely be even noticed, a tikka with factory rings will be about the same weight as a kimber with steel bases and rings. cut a pound off your gear or gut. would be easier, use the extra grand you save between the more expensive gun combined with the gunsmithing of the kimber, and you will be able to pay for an extra hunt with no out of pocket. unless you hunt extreme mountainous conditions and alaska you don't need a 5# rifle anyways. I hunt the wasatch range I don't have any trouble touting a 9+# rifle, most of the time if you are hunting mountain areas with rough terrain you need to be able to pull of a long shot, I will take my heavier rifle every time

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

an extra few ounces that a tikka has will not kill anyone or likely be even noticed, a tikka with factory rings will be about the same weight as a kimber with steel bases and rings. cut a pound off your gear or gut. would be easier, use the extra grand you save between the more expensive gun combined with the gunsmithing of the kimber, and you will be able to pay for an extra hunt with no out of pocket. unless you hunt extreme mountainous conditions and alaska you don't need a 5# rifle anyways. I hunt the wasatch range I don't have any trouble touting a 9+# rifle, most of the time if you are hunting mountain areas with rough terrain you need to be able to pull of a long shot, I will take my heavier rifle every time

If you can find one the original remington Ti are there. Close in weight and I bought mine for $1050 which is about where the kimber seems to go for around here. While both are ~1000 dollar 5 lb rifles. The kimber has a nicer stock and is CRF with a 3 position safety. I own the remington, but wish I had the Kimber smile

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Question on the rebarrel, If you get a barrel with a slightly larger contour, can that montana barrel channel stock be modified. I'd hate to ruin that stock trying to rebarrel. Also, when rebarreling do they true the action, lap the lugs etc to make sure the action is not the problem. I'd hate to rebarrel with a good barrel and still have the action be causing problems. And lastly, who would you recommend do such work for a reasonable price???

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've bought a lot of rifles in the last 2 yrs. or so and all shoot with accuracy that more than meets my expectations. Having said that any Kimber that would not shoot would be down the road. I can't see sinking more money into an already expensive rifle!!!

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I'd put my money towards a Weatherby Ultralite 7mm-08 at 5 3/4 lbs. An extra few ounces should not be noticable and even if they are, at least you have the confidence of knowing a company will back their product and give you an accuracy guarantee.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I just don't like the feel of those weatherby stocks. But thanks for the input. It certainly would be an option.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1941USMC, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 46 invisible), 1,752 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,000
Posts18,520,403
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.