Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Where do you see yourself with regards to collecting collectable knives verse using them.

The reason I ask is I'm seeing Mr. Ingram's knives going for $395 for a model I purchased for $140. I've use the knife a bunch, it still looks great but is obviously used. I know it would have been a better financial decision to have never used the Ingram blade and continued ignorantly along using my ole Kershaw blade. I have a couple of other Ingrams that are even nicer and I don't know if I can bring myself to stuffing them in a pack for a week long hunt.

My collection of knives (not collectibles) is growing rapidly with my interest in knife making. I can't bring myself to part with the very first samples and frankly speaking don't like that many people that I feel good about giving a knife. Plus, my work isn't good enough to warrant a selling price more than the material cost - so that has me giving away all my labor - can't even make the $2.50 an hour some of you talented posters are quoting.

Now I'm thinking I want to get a truly collectable knife, never to be used other than an occasion cut of my finger as I fondle the dang thing. Am I nuts or just in the same category of a lot of the other posters here?

Damascus steel, lots of file work, presentation grade wood or ivory, superb leather sheath, are a few of the items that fill my dreams.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am strictly an accumulator...

NRA Life Member

"All hunters should be nature lovers"
~Theodore Roosevelt~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use the knives that I have...I don't misuse them...and I take care of them, but I like using them. cool

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
MurhpysLaw --- You have it exactly right.
As an "accumulator" you can use it or display it or...... but you don't have to have a reason and you don't have to have a bunch of "expert" knowledge. Though you may have to give the wife some responses occassionally. Hopefully "Just because" will be sufficient to all who question.
JMHO
mrk

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boise

The reason I ask is I'm seeing Mr. Ingram's knives going for $395 for a model I purchased for $140.

Probably no small part in thanks to Big Stick telling all it's "Ingram or bust". Wished I's found out about them before he did. I sure they are great and I'm usually a pretty patient guy, but 3 1/2 years is a stretch for me. Even my two May's are going to take 18 months to get.

Roy

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
that 140$ knife is listed @ 295$ new on ingram's site

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I collect and use--a couple are unused and may stay that way as I accumulate more than I use, but a few are regular users and a few more rotate through.

W

Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If I can use it I don't own it. Just my way in life. Otherwise the garage would be filled with collections.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RDFinn

The reason I ask is I'm seeing Mr. Ingram's knives going for $395 for a model I purchased for $140.

Probably no small part in thanks to Big Stick telling all it's "Ingram or bust". Wished I's found out about them before he did. I sure they are great and I'm usually a pretty patient guy, but 3 1/2 years is a stretch for me. Even my two May's are going to take 18 months to get.

Roy

I agree Big Stick did add on this site significant credibility to Gene's work but can't help but believe being named knife maker of the year is the event making his leadtimes and prices raise so dramatically.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'd look into a Burt Foster knife. I think Burt is around 18 months out now. His work is superb.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have some high dollar knives and would use any of them in a second. Life is just too short not to enjoy things like nice knives and guns. I understand trying to keep stuff NIB but I bet if you asked the maker of said item they would all say use em.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I was going to order an Ingram till I acquired a May B&T used from a member here. Since then I have acquired a used May Swamp Oak and have two other May's on order, delivery next spring and summer. They are all either used or will be.
Good tools are meant to be used, just take decent care of them and nothing should go wrong. That goes for knives, guns and trucks. If you need a can opener, then use a can opener!!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I wouldn't call May's high dollar or collector knives. They are great knives made to be used. High dollar to me would be in the $1000 plus price range. Most of these collector knives are either made with natural exotic handles that are not suited for hard field use or the maker is retired or dead. I don't own any of these knives but if I did I would find it hard to use. So I will stick to my $500 and below working knives.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Can't argue there. Seems some folks are collecting Ingram's/May's/Crott's etc as investment items. I would agree as well that $500.00 is about top end for a good working knife. I can see spending that much when the knife is new from the maker. Used or NIB resale on the other hand.......depends how bad you want it. But they are still working knives.

Last edited by troutfly; 07/27/08. Reason: content
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I have to use them, which is why most of the knives I made have a lower finish on the blade. I pretty much give them as gifts and the best gift to give is the one that is used without reservation.

I would rather give a knife to someone and see it beaten up with honest wear and tear than see the knife 10 years later looking like I just gave it to them.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
varmintsinc Christmas will be here soon don't forget me I will take a lower finish working knife and use it as it was intended to be used. Ok well I would settle for some pictures

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by troutfly
Can't argue there. Seems some folks are collecting Ingram's/May's/Crott's etc as investment items. I would agree as well that $500.00 is about top end for a good working knife. I can see spending that much when the knife is new from the maker. Used or NIB resale on the other hand.......depends how bad you want it. But they are still working knives.

Anyone stowing away Ingram's or May's as an investment is wasting their time. They are knives made to be used, they are tools. If they were intended to be more then that they would add some fancy un-needed file work. They would be using exotic handle materials and wire inlays. In general what you get from them is a basic knife that works and works very well. I could be wrong but I don't see them ever becoming investments outside of the hunting tool class. IMHO. I don't know Crott but now you have me intrested in seeing his work so I will look him up. Besides life is to short to let a great working knife set un-used. Its like a good rifle are you going to throw it in the safe and look at it every now and then to hope that someday its worth X-amount of dollars? Not me its going to be used hard and well cared for. When I can't shoot it anymore or die then maybe it will be sold and hopefully I get something for it but if not I have a lifetime of memories with it. Can't say that for the knife or gun sitting in a safe.

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I agreee in concept that the May and Ingram knives are working tools but admit to having far more knives than I can use (also have too many rifles but that's another story). Gene made it very clear that he wanted his knives used and I've sent him images of his knife in the field.

But I have my favorite hunting knife, an Ingram #7, and always carry it a field. The others sit on a book shelf on open display. I don't see a good reason for tossing a brand new knife in a pack just to try something new. It is comforting to have spare Ingrams on hand.

Plus I am now putting together my own knives and will add one of the K2 capers to my pack this season. These are clearly tool quality knives and it won't bother me if one gets bent or broken.

Maybe I should have asked, "for those of you with knife collections, do you carry the same or different knives a field?" I carry the same hunting knife and an EDC.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just got 2 Fosters and have to say they are superb knives. Finish, heft, balance are second to none. I own and use Ingrams and Mays, have some on oder, but Foster makes a hell of a knife, my new favorites.

Last edited by thismortalcoil; 07/28/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I can't help but believe being named knife maker of the year is the event making his leadtimes and prices raise so dramatically.

Is there an article or link about that? I did a quick google with no luck---

Thanks

to add to the conversation, I've got a pair of Ingrams and two more on the way, all four will be used, no safe queens for me. Dad and Bro-in-Law each have one as well, and they get used too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,530
Posts18,530,914
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.