Hop To
#2334449 07/26/08
J
jprice Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
How much does it usually cost and what are the options? Shipping from South Africa. Is this a weight issue/or number of animals issue? Taxidermy work to be done in the states unless it is more economical to have it done there.

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's not really possible to answer that question with any accuracy because it firstly depends on how much weight/volume you ship and secondly of course on what happens to fuel prices between now and when you ship your trophies and thirdly whether you ship by sea or air.

As to taxidermy costs, the only subject that'll cause more 'heated debate' than this is what calibre for whatever species. From my experience, it's less expensive to have your taxidermy done here in Africa and then shipped as finished trophies, but of course there are good and bad, and cheap and expensive taxidermists all over the world and as you'll have to look at your trophies for many years to come, my advice would be to choose a taxidermist who does good work rather than the cheapest work.

The hardest animals to get right and easiest to get wrong are the cats - esp Leopards and you'll find examples of really good work on a wide range of African game and esp cats at www.lifeform.co.za. If you use their work as a guide to how the animals should look, you can judge the work of others.......so take a look at a few websites and make your decision.... I think you'll find Lifeform's work hard to beat though.

Last edited by shakari; 07/26/08.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
J
jprice Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I previously posted my plans to hunt Leopard in South Africa and was told that was near impossible. However, I am still waiting on confirmation on Cites permits and should know something maybe in late November or early December. I have my fingers crossed. Thank you for the post and you are the third person that that has referred that particular taxidermist. I will defenitely check them out. Based on current fuel prices and if I had 3-4 shoulder mounts and 1 full leopard(if I get CITES and lucky enough to shoot one) what would the cost be? Air? Ship?

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Saw lots of good Leopard spoor in Zim two weeks ago. If you want info on who I was hunting with, LMK.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
3 shoulder mounts, 5 euro's and a zebra rug from Jburg to Edmonton Alberta by air cost me $1793 US in June.

The crate is about 5' tall, 3' wide and about 4' long, it weighed 243 lbs.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never used these people, but FWIW for my upcoming hunt both my PH and importer tell me Lifeform is first class. I plan on using them for my dip and pack.

405wcf

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you contacted your outfitter to find out who he is using for the Dip Pack Process? That is your best route. Contact the outfitter, get the name and contact info for the Dip Pak and ask them what the crates have been running for the shipping to the USA. Add another 450 bucks for an American broker and you have a good ball park idea. Your absolute best resource for these questions is the person setting this up for you. He's most likely done this 100(s) of times and has all the answers you would need.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
An option I am using for trophies taken in South Africa is to have taxidermy done in country. As stated, there is much debate on this. I didn't have any record book animals-1 Gold, the rest Silver & Bronze. I am having the taxidermist use removable horns to reduce crate size. I am also using ocean shipment to Port of Baltimore. At this point its difficult to know savings but, I expect a substantial difference. Time will tell.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
All told we shipped back 11 shoulder mounts with the attendant back skins and a few flat skins by air and it set us back around $3500 IIRC. For an idea of the size of the crate, see the "Head Hanging Good Time" thread. I'd say it was 4x4x7 or thereabouts. 500 lbs rings a bell too.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The price guides you've been given sound reasonably fair to me, but you need to remember that the time lapse between when they were shipped and the time your trophies will be shipped will probably be more than 2 years and the rising price of oil might well mean you'll have to pay considerably more........but at the end of the day, you just have to accept that it's gonna cost what it'll cost....... and the trophies are gonna give you an immense amount of pleasure over the years and will be worth every cent!

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In 2006 I had my trophies shipped sea from Namibia. The savings was about 40%. If I do another hunt over there that's the way I want it done. The price of oil is much higher now. The ocean shipping option is also available from the RSA.
John

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 15 invisible), 1,832 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,897
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.