Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 52 of 1,842 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
10-4 on traveling the gravel roads instead of the paved. driving a lot more where the fields are too.

if you haven't already tried them, shoot some RAGE expandables. I was NEVER a fan of expandables until I tried them. I had a hard time getting my arrows tuned so I tried them. they flew great, and left a huge entrace hole/exit hole on the big azz doe I shot with them last year. not a ton of blood but very easy to follow.

I shot muzzy's before these and did well on all other set up's but this one.

Stop typin' crap about double drop time rut crazed monsters too. I'm having engough trouble wit da fever da way 't is now. grin

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
HA! I knew I would get you going Tom. laugh Once you bowhunt it's in your blood. You can talk all you want about skipping this year but it ain't gonna happen. smirk The first chilly morning that you walk out your door and the smell of fall is in the air and that sun is just peeking up over the horizon, your thoughts will turn to that elusive double drop tine and you will get a sensation running through your body that screams "YA CAN'T GET 'EM IF AIN'T OUT THERE" It will happen trust me!

grin

I have never tried expandables mainly because I don't trust them but I've heard a lot of good things about the rage 2 blades. The only negative things I've heard is that they are not very durable and they tend to open in the quiver. What's your experience with that?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Ok Rooster,

ya got me pegged. To a "T" in fact.you know damn well I'll be bow hunting. Even shot the bow a couple early this mornign. It's been cool in the mornings and evenings the last few nights here.

I stepped outside to let the dog out and take a leak grin and it couldn't have been much more that 50 out. So what do I do, fire up the old mathews and fire a few from the deck before the kids wake up. laugh Didn't even need the smell of fall.

I shoot the 3 blade Rage Expandables on Easton Axis shafts. The main reason I shoot them is because I could get consistant groups with this set up. For some reason I could not with other heads. If the Rage didn't work, my next move was to go back to aluminum arrows. blush

I went back and forth on the 2 vs 3 blade and choose 3 for no other reason than I like the extra cutting blade. It made a perfect triangle shape through the lungs of the only thing I shot with it.

No problems with them opening in the quiver either. My quiver is a Kwikee with the insert for expandables, so that may have helped. If they did open, I wouldn't want to put them back into place. With the cut on contact tip and razor sharp blades, these babies are bad azz looking thats for sure.

The other problem is they are expensive now. I got them for $28 at Fleet Farm last summer. Now I see they are up to $38. I did get some replacement blades too so I should be set for awhile.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I was always a muzzy 3 blade guy until I got on archery talk and read everyone raving about Slick Trick 4 blade fixed head. I bought them and tried them out on Easton Epic ST's and they flew true with field tips and were as sharp as advertized. I currently have a huge gash in my thumb to prove it. The thing that's got me looking at others is the penetration I got on that buck (its pictured in this thread somewhere)was very poor. Sure he died within 30 yards but I feel it should have been a pass through. G5 sent me a free Striker to try. It also flies true with field points and is just as sharp or sharper than the "trick". They are made from the same material. German Lutz steel. I bought Easton Axis Full Metal Jacket arrows the other day. I think I'm really going to like them with the Striker head. The penetration is supposed to be awesome. So long story short, if you ever want to go back to a fixed blade head that flies true, try the G5 Striker or Slick Trick.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
have heard many good things about G5. Their expandable doesn't look too bad either. I too read about the slick trick, but until this summer, I was not able to find them in stores. I'm not a big fan of ordering on the internet. I think I would have tried them if I could find them, because like I said before last fall I was never a fan of the expandables. Now that I have them, I'll use them until I find a reason not too.

Let us know how the full metal jacket shafts work. Are they similar to the older Easton ACC's? They seem like it from what I've read, but maybe just tougher. They sure are not any cheaper.

The broad heads are just getting priced to high for me to keep testing different ones. I don't want to sound cheap but... It would be nice if you could by a single for a trial pack or something like that.

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
You guys are going to put me into early rut, I'm not quite ready for that yet! Still got some summer to experience before i toss myself into the deer hunter tailspin grin

Me, Pam & the boys went out to the deer camp yesterday to scope out the blueberry sittuation. I guess I'd rank it as a very good year, we didn't have much trouble filling a 5 qt pail in a short time.

Cabin seems very lonely frown

We need to get out there & stay over night very soon.

Dave

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You don't sound cheap. I hear ya. When your talking anywhere from $30.00 - $40.00 for a pack of THREE heads, 'testing' broadheads could put you in the poorhouse pretty darn quick....or get ya divorced! smile That is why I rely on the internet and sites like archery talk. Let someone else test them and make your own conclusions based on results. It really just comes down to personal opinion I guess.

I'll keep ya posted on the FMJ arrows. So far so good. I do need to adjust my sights a little though due to increased arrow weight.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Rooster's like blue berries! wink grin

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Rooster's like blue berries! wink grin

Well then come on up. should be good for a couple of weeks yet.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by northern_dave
You guys are going to put me into early rut, I'm not quite ready for that yet! Still got some summer to experience before i toss myself into the deer hunter tailspin grin

Me, Pam & the boys went out to the deer camp yesterday to scope out the blueberry sittuation. I guess I'd rank it as a very good year, we didn't have much trouble filling a 5 qt pail in a short time.

Cabin seems very lonely frown

We need to get out there & stay over night very soon.

Dave

Dave in rut is scary thought indeed...

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yeah, I probably should rephrase that.....

nope, it's just too damn funny. But I won't start till late Sept.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
We'll all know when Dave is gettin close. Mrs Dave will be on here yellin about all the scrapes he's leaving on the living room carpet. smile

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yep and then Weezey will be comin along behind the momma wih a big ol belt sander for fixing the rub line he'll be making on the fixtures...the part that has some concern is when he and the boy are together to testosterone laden bucks and one of them the up and comer but not quite seasoned could develop into some interesting times.

But we all know that Dave is the herd bull in that neck of the woods at least til the momma puts her hoof...er...foot down.

And the whole time this posturing is going down ol forky toes will be sneaking out to the sauna and sucking some suds.

Have a great day folks.....

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Too funny!

You've certainly got it figured out.

I hope to get out to camp this weekend to get some more blueberry picking done, possibly mow some around the shack & get the trails cut back down. Also would really like to start on a couple of new stands & improve one existing one that has proven to be a good spot.

Dave

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yep, we are going out to the camp this weekend, it's settled. After some pondering of whether or not to go to an antique tractor pull at a local steam & gas show on saturday, we decided to leave the old tractor at home, skip this pull & dedicate the whole weekend to the cabin. We're bringing the blue tractor out, a box blade, a new 5' brush mower, a 4 wheeler, couple of little dirt bikes, 2 canoes...

Yeah, we're bringin all the toys!! grin I doubt we will have time to use all of them but we'll try!! Weezy is camping with friends this weekend & she owns the best digital camera we have and I'm sure she has it with her so we'll do the best we can with Pam's digital if we get a chance to take pictures.

Mow on sat morning, start a pork roast on the charcoal grill which will cook all day & eventually be pulled apart & smoked for bbq sandwiches later in the day, pick some blueberries... do some road repair with tractors, try to get down to a nice little local lake with the canoes (it's a motorless lake, electric or paddle only)

Maybe a bon fire sat night, just looking forward to getting out there & doing a few things, relaxing, having fun.

have a good weekend everyone, I'll report back here next week.

Dave

P.S. Craig, if you catch this post, thought you might get a kick out of the fact that I too have now joined the Bush Hog squealer club shocked

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A motorcycle and a Squealer? That ain't right man. I thought somebody here said you could only have one mid life crisis?

Pictures? Need pictures, Dave.

I've been in Flagstaff for a week. No bugs. Nice.

Craig

Wood is Good.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Ok, I'm back in the saddle.

Busy morning, up early and in for a delightful experience at the local hospital. Colonoscpoy this morning. Not going to get into the details right now other than to let all you guys, and girls know that if & when the time comes for such a test for you, there is nothing to be afraid of. Piece of cake.

Heck I went in for the procedure at 7 this morning & I was to work before noon today.

So, enough about that.

Here's the report for last weekend.

Check out our load of toys heading from home out to the cabin.

[Linked Image]

here's the new mower in action.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here's a good friend that came out & helped with some blading & bucket work. (were real good frinds, last year we even bought matching tractors) grin
[Linked Image]

some shots from in front of the cabin.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Then of course Pam had to capture this incodent on camera.
Dave got a little too close to the edge while mowing.
[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/DSC01349.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/DSC01350.jpg[/img]

Then we were done working, so we decided to check out the fishing on the little lake close to our deer camp.
[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/DSC01363.jpg[/img]

Check out this panfish!! What the heck is it? bluegill? Anyone?

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/DSC01364.jpg[/img]

It was a great weekend, The girls hit the mother load of blueberries, good lord did they ever find blueberries!! We plan on getting back after the trails & the trimming maybe on Friday this week. My folks are coming to visit.

Lots of catching up to do at work here so I have to run, hope everyone had a good weekend.

Dave

Last edited by northern_dave; 08/04/08. Reason: spelling

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Looks like a GREAT time Dave! Colonoscopy????? Aren't we a little young to be getting probed? Hope everything is ok man!

Oh and yup, looks like a blue gill to me....

Last edited by Rooster7; 08/04/08.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yeah we are a little young for that, I just took it upon myself to go & check it out for all of those who haven't yet but know they'll have to someday. grin

Perfectly safe, piece of cake, nothing to be afraid of.

And don't worry, I'm a gonna be just fine.

Dave

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Makes me happy I still just get "the finger". eek eek eek

Craig

Wood is Good.
Page 52 of 1,842 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 2500HD, 49 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,438
Posts18,489,412
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.