Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lawdwaz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Saw this posted on Craig's List this morning. Would you take 20 grand for it if you shot it??

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/spo/779594457.html

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Some folks don't care. Personally I think it should be ILLEGAL to sell the game or parts of it... Problem there though, that would make it illegal to sell hair or feathers to fly tiers etc....

But to shoot something like that and try to make huge money....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Lawdwaz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
+1

Funny thing about that buck, it was shot the first day of the archery season (Oct. 13) in '06 about 6 or 7 miles north of my house. WE had 2.5' feet of wet heavy snow that brought down trees, limbs and power lines. Millions of dollars in damages. Our power was out for 7 days around here. IIRC they had a dusting!

It was a hog of a buck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For 20 grand, Sha-Yeah! That'd but a lot more hunts, rifles, college classes for the kids.

And I don't know the story behind the sale, there might be some financial problems we'll never know about. If I was selling stuff to pay medical bills or something, a deer mount would be one of the first to go.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'd rather the government not get involved in such things. It's a slippery slope. What is this guy doing that has a tangible adverse effect on you or anyone else? If we're going to outlaw everything that offends someone's sensibilities, we're all going to be done hunting in short order. Where are you going to draw the line? Do we need to make hunting over bait illegal in Texas and any other state where it's legal? Wouldn't bother me. I don't hunt over bait and have no desire to. What's the moral difference between this and a millionaire paying an obscene amount of money to be ushered into an elevated tree stand over bait or a food plot where a magnificent buck has been patterned on a cuddeback? He pulls the trigger and writes the check. The guide delivers the head to the taxidermist, & he waits for it to come home. It isn't my idea of hunting. If one of my friends got a head in that fashion, I'd never let him hear the end of it, but I'd stop short of making it illegal if that's what the good folks in Texas want.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Saw this posted on Craig's List this morning. Would you take 20 grand for it if you shot it??

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/spo/779594457.html

Taken in Bracken County, KY in November 2007. Biggest one I ever took.

[Linked Image]

Asking $20K. Will throw in rifle, 20 rounds of ammo, reloading dies, and knife used to gut him and truck used to haul it to the processor. Will assemble wife,children and dogs and retake the trophy photos with you in them. Act in the next hour, and I'll even give you the remaining venison from my freezer.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If you can fix up that neck we might have a deal....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
If you can fix up that neck we might have a deal....

I lost quite a bit of weight after that picture. My shirts are now a good half-inch thinner. Besides, we'd redo all the photos so that it was you in the pics and not me. . .

Oh you mean the mount's neck! Oh that was just a little roughed up from transit. It all combed out.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For 20 grand, one would at least expect Cindy Garrison or Courtney Hanson in the hero shots.

Set them free again
IC B3

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I don't know the story behind the sale, there might be some financial problems we'll never know about. If I was selling stuff to pay medical bills or something, a deer mount would be one of the first to go.

Agreed. We don't know WHY its being sold.

The pride and joy deer head is worth little compared to keeping a roof over the kids' heads.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For $20K, you can have KYHillChick in the picture with you, and I'll get her to wear a hunter orange cap and vest. For no extra she'll wear your choice of either Ed's Red, Tinks 69, or Hoppes #9 behind her ears.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by bucktail
I'd rather the government not get involved in such things. It's a slippery slope. What is this guy doing that has a tangible adverse effect on you or anyone else? If we're going to outlaw everything that offends someone's sensibilities, we're all going to be done hunting in short order. Where are you going to draw the line? Do we need to make hunting over bait illegal in Texas and any other state where it's legal? Wouldn't bother me. I don't hunt over bait and have no desire to. What's the moral difference between this and a millionaire paying an obscene amount of money to be ushered into an elevated tree stand over bait or a food plot where a magnificent buck has been patterned on a cuddeback? He pulls the trigger and writes the check. The guide delivers the head to the taxidermist, & he waits for it to come home. It isn't my idea of hunting. If one of my friends got a head in that fashion, I'd never let him hear the end of it, but I'd stop short of making it illegal if that's what the good folks in Texas want.

Laws retricting sale of game parts are not because of someones sensibilities. The resoning behind such laws is to control poaching of game for profit. Bear gall bladders being an example.
For $20 000 many peoples ethics woukld take a beating.

Murf
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For $20,000 my ethics wouldn't be the only thing taking a beating.
For that much money, I'd give a beating to most anyone you asked. LOL

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
But does stopping the sale of legally obtained trophies really curtail poaching? There's a demand for trophies. Most folks like to shoot their own, and I'm in that group myself, but some people, for whatever reason, prefer to buy them. As it stands, these people can be supplied by trophies taken legally, or illegally. If we make trade in all trophies illegal, we reduce the demand because not everyone who wants a trophy enough to pay for it wants one badly enough to break the law to obtain one, but the demand will still exist, and you've now given a monopoly to those who break the law.

The bear gall bladder thing has gotten me thinking. I watched a documentary on it some months back. Yes, I understand that this doesn't make me an expert. They started out with some footage of some poachers who were dumb enough to take video of themselves poaching a bear, and followed the process all the way to the Japanese black market, where the gall bladder fetched upwards of 20k. I couldn't help but think that if we managed to collect the gall bladders of a significant percentage of bears taken in Americal and Canada, we could dump enough legally taken gall bladders on the market to make the black market option less attractive.

Set them free again
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Shaman, I looked in my pockets, and unfortunately only have $19,999. It was a pleasure almost doing business with you.

Set them free again
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No accounting for what some folks will buy. Trophys I guess I am odd. I have some raggy heads that you couldn't buy because of what they mean to me alone. OTOH I wouldn't give you a dime for one of yours no matter what it was or how big just because it ain't mine.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I wonder what I could get for my baboon when it comes back from Zimbabwe...? wink

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Will the tuxedo be included?

Set them free again
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Actually, I would check the cost of a replica and then let it go. I don't understand antler collectors, but $20,000 to them might not be much. For us, it would be a great help for my kid's college or first house.

stumpy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1Longbow, 257 mag, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 22magnut, 61 invisible), 1,863 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,246
Posts18,525,054
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.