Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
ATV's and UTV's have there place if used right, for us guys that had to give up the horses of the past.I have A Yamaha Rhino for my ATV needs and it is not replaceable to us that don't spend thousands of dollars on a Elk Hunt.

Choose the Rhino.I have had both and the Rhino goes where most ATV's go and with common sense you won't be on the roll over list. grin

Jayco

GB1

camp9k Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks...I jet re-jetted the rhino...not too hard. We are going up to the mountains on the 16th to about 7-8K feet to sight in at long distances and we will see how it runs.

Thanks John

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If jeep trails the rhino. If ATV trails use the grizzly. The Rhino is wider than what is legally allowed on ATV trailin Colorado. Just to let you know atv/rhino's are a toucy subject with alot of people in Colorado. Especially during the season. I use an ATV during Archery. I drive it on trail before light and then walk where i'm hunting. At dark I walk back and ride to camp. It is very nice to cut down on how far I have to hoof an Elk out. It's nice to only have to get it to a legal trail and then ride back. I have only had one person complain to me. They were to busy truck hunting and were mad they couldn't get on the ATV trail. They didn't think it was fair..............

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It is illegal in CO to drive any motorized vehicle off roads or trails to retrieve game or any other reason. I believe enforcement will be stepped up this yeare with the new regulations about signage.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
camp9k Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Every state I have hunted has an opinion on off road vehicle use. Since there has been problems, some state don't allow any use others limit use or don't allow it at all. Last year I backed packed in a wilderness area eight miles where only hooves and feet are allowed in California. I hunted Unit 10 in Arizona with my daughter for antelope in September and also used mostly our feet. Thee year before I used my jeep cj7 in Oregon because ATVs were not allowed. In New Mexico for Oryx in Feb hunted out of a truck. This year I am hunting in unit 67 and I fully understand the selectivity of people and the rules. If this area had a huge wilderness area I would be only be asking about locations to hunt because and would leave my Atv at home. This is why i am writing for help...Atvs and off road vehicles are allowed in Unit 67 so sice I have one I will utilize it. I and many others love too hunt and want to follow the rules and ask questions so we can tread lightly. I believe we are all hunters in this forum...Everyone reading and writing in this forum need to work together to not offend other hunters and when a fellow hunter needs help on how to tread lightly we help. If I were to come across one of you in the field and you had a large animal in the bottom of a canyon I would help, just like everyone else here. I feel this forum is the same as being in the field,we are all in it together for the long haul. Since I have been on this forum I have received great information and assistants on hunting but also have been treated like I am the worst person in the outdoors because I have an Atv or I am from California. Like all of you I work my tail off to support my family...Tonight I got home late from a side job to pay for my hunt and wanted to hear some exciting help my elk hunt. I am not an A*& who wants to mess up someones state leave my trash make an unethical kill and go home. I also believe most hunters I have met are not like that and want to leave this place better for there children than it was for them. okay, sorry for the soap box but just needed to get it off my chest...Maybe I need to quit working side jobs...my sense of humor will be back in the morning.

John

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you want to tread lightly you may want to consider two wheels instead of four...Rokon. They'll go places a four wheeler can't.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am pretty sure that ATV legal trails in Colorado have a "less than 50 inch width" requirement

You would be able to legally use both of these on standard jeep/4x4 roads, but only the Grizzly on the designated ATV roads.

Last edited by txhunter58; 08/09/08.

Venor ergo sum
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
If you want to tread lightly you may want to consider two wheels instead of four...Rokon. They'll go places a four wheeler can't.

Do you own one? If so, how long?

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Atvs and off road vehicles are allowed in Unit 67 so sice I have one I will utilize it. I and many others love too hunt and want to follow the rules and ask questions so we can tread lightly.
For some reason I find that pretty funny! I'm not saying you are one of 'them', but I think the opinion many have of ATVers is formed by those that don't 'Tread Lightly'.

I would just take the ATV and leave the side by side at home. It'll be easier to pull, has more trails open to it, and doesn't roll over as easy.

Or just by a new pair of boots... wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would rather have the rhino myself. It would be a lot more handy for hauling stuff in (fire wood, a hunting partner, Dead animals, etc) vs. the ATV. County roads are closed to ATV/UTV use so you�re limited to jeep trails and not all jeep trails shown on the topo maps are still open to motor vehicles. Because you�re hunting an area you�ve never seen before it�s hard to say if either one of those vehicles will be any help to you over the jeep by itself.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by camp9k
Every state I have hunted has an opinion on off road vehicle use. Since there has been problems, some state don't allow any use others limit use or don't allow it at all. Last year I backed packed in a wilderness area eight miles where only hooves and feet are allowed in California. I hunted Unit 10 in Arizona with my daughter for antelope in September and also used mostly our feet. Thee year before I used my jeep cj7 in Oregon because ATVs were not allowed. In New Mexico for Oryx in Feb hunted out of a truck. This year I am hunting in unit 67 and I fully understand the selectivity of people and the rules. If this area had a huge wilderness area I would be only be asking about locations to hunt because and would leave my Atv at home. This is why i am writing for help...Atvs and off road vehicles are allowed in Unit 67 so sice I have one I will utilize it. I and many others love too hunt and want to follow the rules and ask questions so we can tread lightly. I believe we are all hunters in this forum...Everyone reading and writing in this forum need to work together to not offend other hunters and when a fellow hunter needs help on how to tread lightly we help. If I were to come across one of you in the field and you had a large animal in the bottom of a canyon I would help, just like everyone else here. I feel this forum is the same as being in the field,we are all in it together for the long haul. Since I have been on this forum I have received great information and assistants on hunting but also have been treated like I am the worst person in the outdoors because I have an Atv or I am from California. Like all of you I work my tail off to support my family...Tonight I got home late from a side job to pay for my hunt and wanted to hear some exciting help my elk hunt. I am not an A*& who wants to mess up someones state leave my trash make an unethical kill and go home. I also believe most hunters I have met are not like that and want to leave this place better for there children than it was for them. okay, sorry for the soap box but just needed to get it off my chest...Maybe I need to quit working side jobs...my sense of humor will be back in the morning.

John

Unit 67 lies within portions of the Uncomphagre NF, Gunnison NF, and the Gunnison BLM District.

None of these public lands are "open" to ATV/motorized unrestricted use--I know, because I was on the citizens committee that helped develop the Uncompahgre Travel Management Plan. Motorized vehicle use of all of these areas are limited to designated roads/trails only.

Some roads trails are open to all motorized vehicles, some only to ATV's less than 50 inches, others to motorcycles only (single track).

As txhunter said, the ATV trails will not allow anything wider than 50 inches, so that may limit the Rhino.

Save the motorized vehicles for hauling the elk out, and invest in good boots--it'll get you more elk.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
camp9k Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Were going to bring the grizzly...It has a winch and is fuel injected and will only use it if we need it. We got the boots and packs...This picture is from eight miles back at 10k feet last year 1k above my favorite place to camp (camp9k).

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the help

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by txhunter58
I am pretty sure that ATV legal trails in Colorado have a "less than 50 inch width" requirement

You would be able to legally use both of these on standard jeep/4x4 roads, but only the Grizzly on the designated ATV roads.

In all my riding in colorado I have yet to hit a trail I could not take my mule on. And have seen nothing or been able to look up anything on 50inch requirement in colorado, if someone finds something that is not hear say please put up a link.

http://parks.state.co.us/OHVsandSnowmobiles/OHVProgram/OHVLawsRegulations/OHV+Laws.htm

http://parks.state.co.us/OHVsandSnowmobiles/OHVProgram/OHVLawsRegulations/OHV+Regulations.htm

I would still vote on the Rhino, it will still run fine just a little rich. You could bring some spare spark plugs for insurance. When it comes to hualing your packs, gear and hunting partner up the hill to where you are going to hike from it is much nicer ride.

Where is that wascally Wapiti?
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
This is the ATV that I use.

Attached Images
10699-2006Elk#1.jpg (62.07 KB, 130 downloads)
10700-2006Elk#2.jpg (44.03 KB, 139 downloads)

You see in this world, there's two kinds of people my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't like ATV's UTV's for actual hunting or getting there in the morning, As I sit High atop my rock after waking up at 4:00 am and hiking for an hour in the dead quiet. I hear the woods come alive with trucks, atv's and even horses aren't the quietest when they are hualing someone up the mountain. But for mid afternoon rides to the river to fish or get firewood or hual the kill back to camp (after it is drug to the trailhead or road of course) they have there use. I wish nobody in the woods would start a motor vehicle before 9-10am, but that will never happen, even though I am 5-10 miles away I can hear everyone crunching down the frozen trails in the early dawn. But I don't mind cause I am already high atop a hill waiting for them to push the elk up to me, and you can see the elk take notice of the noise and start to work there way back up the hill.

OH yeah larry here is my horse,
[Linked Image]

Elk Fleeing the sound of the oncoming heard of ATV's at fossil ridge in gunnison
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BroncoLope
Originally Posted by txhunter58

In all my riding in colorado I have yet to hit a trail I could not take my mule on. And have seen nothing or been able to look up anything on 50inch requirement in colorado, if someone finds something that is not hear say please put up a link.

http://parks.state.co.us/OHVsandSnowmobiles/OHVProgram/OHVLawsRegulations/OHV+Laws.htm

http://parks.state.co.us/OHVsandSnowmobiles/OHVProgram/OHVLawsRegulations/OHV+Regulations.htm

I would still vote on the Rhino, it will still run fine just a little rich. You could bring some spare spark plugs for insurance. When it comes to hualing your packs, gear and hunting partner up the hill to where you are going to hike from it is much nicer ride.

Here is on link for a San Juan national forest that lists the 50 inch max:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/sanjuan/recreation/hunting/atv.shtml

You should be able to find a similar link for all other nat. forest in Colorado

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks TX,
that is the first one I have seen, But to let everyone know most of the roads (trails) you take hunting are FR(Forest Roads) and you can take any motorized vehicle on most of them. But then there are some (TRAILS) TR that are only motorcycle, or ATV only or Horse only. but the majority of them are NFR.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't forget you need a permit for all ORVs in CO. Check with the forest service in that unit ORVs may not be legal. They are not legal on all public land.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 71 invisible), 3,047 guests, and 1,405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,103
Posts18,483,170
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.