Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I would appreciate someone in the know clearing up the Silvertip/Power-Point story. I have in front of me the May, 1968 issue of Gun World magazine. The back page is a Winchester-Western ad that once again reminded me of the confusion over the construction, intended use and performance of the two bullets. To quote from the ad, "The Silvertip's used more for bigger, heavier-muscled animals. Because its metal-clad nose delays expansion until the bullet's buried deep. The Power-Point, on the other hand, is a soft-nosed bullet. It expands fast." I have seen all sorts of off-hand references to the early-day Silvertips being a different (tougher) bullet than the later ones, but I have never found any real evidence to back this up or to tell when any such change took place. I would appreciate input from anyone who could sort this out once and for all. (Might be an idea for an article?) Best to all, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nothing definative, but this is from the Winchester site for the .30-06 SilverTip:

"Specially alloyed aluminum nose cap protects the lead core and allows for deep penetration delivering controlled expansion."

Same source for the PowerPoint:

"Unique soft nose jacketed design delivers maximum energy on target. Notches around jacket mouth improve upset and ensure uniform, rapid expansion."

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I've wondered about that also.

The Power points performance on game up through elk is exceptional.

I found the Silvertip a little explosive.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
A lot of company information from those days was pure BS.

Some of older (than 1968) Silvertips were pretty decent bullets, because of thicker jacket sidewalls, but in general they were not great penetrators, especially toward the end of the actual Silvertip (not the Ballistic Silvertip, which is identical to the same Nosler Ballistic Tip). In particlar the so-called "Silvertip Supreme" of the 1990's was a real blow-up bullet, and the reason for the Fail Safe. The "hard" tip on the Silvertip was actually a thin jacket over over a big lead tip. This promoted quick expansion, and without a thick rear jacket they could easily come apart. A friend shot a big brown bear 11 times with .375 300-grain Silvertips in 1958 and only three got into the chest, the rest comng apart on the wet hair and hide. In 1984 I had a 150-grain Silvertip from a .30-06 come apart on the shoulder of a forkhorn mule deer. It didn't get through the ribs, and the range was 200 yards.

In general I would trust a Power Point much more than the older Silvertips. The Power Point is basically a very reliable cup-and-core bullet, meaning it works pretty well at moderate muzzle velocities.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 08/08/08.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
John, thanks for the information. I particularly like your description of company information from those days. The company information provided by doubleradius above would seem to indicate that not much has changed. Upon reading it, my reaction was pretty much, "So, what's that supposed to mean?" (That's not intended to be a slam at you, doubleradius - I appreciated your input.) The 180 grain Power-Point has become my favorite practice bullet as it goes to the same place as the bullets that I intend to hunt with. (Probably would do just as well using the P-Ps, but you know how it is - got to try the premiums.) Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just a note: Everything I have shot with Power-Points has died pretty darn quickly!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
My buddy shot a large cow elk last Jan. with a 180gr Power Point from his old Rem. pump 30-06. At a lazered 187 yds. the bullet did a broadside double lung pass thru and the cow took two steps uphill and fell down.
I shot the cow next to his with a 150gr Parition out of my .270Win. Kimber. She went uphill about 10 steps and then started downhill for about 75 yards and slid into the snow.
The hunt ended before my truck cooled off!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

I have shot several whitails with various power points and they worked great. Also, they are the most accurate of any factory bullets in my 338 WM.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
A few years ago I was looking for a load for my 30-40 Krag. I wanted to duplicate the ammuniton that my father had used for elk back in the 40s and 50s. I found that the 220 Grain Silver Tip had the most reliable expansion of any of the available 220 grain bullets. These bullets are only starting at around 2000 fps, so by the 100 yard line they have slowed considerably, but expansion was still positive. I did kill one cow elk with this bullet, it penetrated completely on a broadside 50 yard shot. I managed to buy 300 of these before they became unavailable. My older brother shot quite a few elk with a 30-30 and Power Point bullets, I never did hear him complain of poor performance.
KP

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about the bulk pack 180 gr Power Point bullets that come in plastic bags of 100? Anyone know what cartridge/velocity they are designed for?

Ted

IC B3

5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Given their age and cup and core construction I am assuming that they are designed with .30-06 performance in mind. What with all of the variables that enter in, this whole window of performance thing seems to be a real doozie to subdue.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
...The company information provided by doubleradius above would seem to indicate that not much has changed. Upon reading it, my reaction was pretty much, "So, what's that supposed to mean?"...

I too am confused. 40 years ago the guys I hunted with said that the Silvertips were either "tougher" than PowerPoints, or "softer" than PowerPoints. Each guy was adamant in his belief, and I never flet that I knew the real story. Seems like the situation is unchanged today. Personally I never shot an animal with either so I can't bring an entertaining anecdote to the thread....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a brother-in-law who back in the '80s shot a couple of antelope with Silver Tips in 30-06 (can't remember the weight) which did some very funny things. My recollection is that I didn't want to ever use them on game.
Recently I had a box of 250 gr. .338 Silver Tips given to me and I have been shooting them for practice. They are quite acccurate but I will not consider using them for hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just to add more confusion to the subject, I have been using 130gr SilverTips off and on in 270's on deer since the '50's, and never had anything but good performance.

Also had great results from the 100gr Silvertip in a 257 Roberts and have been mourning its loss.

Last edited by southtexas; 08/10/08.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only factory ammo available in .358 Win is the 200 gr Silvertip, isn't it? I have several boxes, but haven't used them on game, using 225 partitions or 250 hornady spitzers for the most part.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John,

I'm absolutely mortified! The Silvertip has always been my goto bullet for deer. I'll have to take your advice under advisement. This could cause me to sell off several hundred rounds of .300 Savage 150 gr Silvertips that I've been scrounging and stockpiling since they went out of production. Thanks for the opinion. I'll be chewing on it. wink

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I`ve shot exactly one deer with a Silvertip, a small spike whitetail. This was in the mid `60 from a 32 spcl at ~ 50 yd, The bullet (170 gr) entered hitting ribs and nailed the off side shoulder joint. It traveled down the leg bone and was found 1/2 way to the knee along the bone expanded like in a picture book. The deer was walking (sneaking) when I shot, fell, got up and dropped for good within a hop or two.
My only experiance on game with any Winchester bullet....

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My son kills a fair number of deer with a 1954 Marlin 336, and only uses 170 grain Winchester Silver Tips in it.
I laugh at him, as I won't use anything but CoreLokt if using factory loads.

Sam......

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The old 270 gr Power Point factory load in 375H&H had a very good reputation for holding together well,and expanding nicely.Finn Agaard used it extensively.I was told that the jacket was made of brass or some such alloy and this helped it hold together well.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by DoubleRadius
...The company information provided by doubleradius above would seem to indicate that not much has changed. Upon reading it, my reaction was pretty much, "So, what's that supposed to mean?"...

I too am confused. 40 years ago the guys I hunted with said that the Silvertips were either "tougher" than PowerPoints, or "softer" than PowerPoints. Each guy was adamant in his belief, and I never flet that I knew the real story. Seems like the situation is unchanged today. Personally I never shot an animal with either so I can't bring an entertaining anecdote to the thread....

So what, then, is the difference between the Winchester PSP and the Power Point? I've noticed the 165's I picked up are PSP, and definitely not the Power Points. Is there anything different between the 2, or is this more double-speak from their Marketing Dept.?

They sure do shoot well for me, but it would crush me to find out that they couldn't possibly kill anything but paper!

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 74 invisible), 3,176 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,437
Posts18,528,637
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.