Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fred,

You had anymore time to get out and shoot the new lil 7? Also, did you get the syn or the wood one?

What are you running for powder in it and have you ran them over a clock yet?

Me thinks this could be a way fun lil rig for you for your muley hunt this fall... cool

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Mark
I got the stainless/syn because the wood on the one that Cap Sports had on the shelf was very drab- Figured if I was going to have an ugly rifle, it might as well be indestructable!
With RL15, I got up to 2650 with the 154 Hornady. With that 154 Hornady, shooting into dry newspaper, I got almost as much penetration as I do with a 180 grain Nosler Partition. That surprised me. I would not hesitate to use that on elk, since I have killed elk with 150 Hornadys out of my 270 at very little above 7/08 velocities. At 425 yards, the old old cow didn't move out of her tracks until she was tits up sliding down the hill.
Brad suggested H4350, and after doing some research, that seems to be the place to start. I have some rounds loaded ready to go to the range, but right now am getting ready for a back packing trip.
One day last week I had to go on an emergency hunt for man eating praire dogs. Couldn't drive onto the property because it was so dry, so I hunted them like antelope, walk a little ways, get 3 or 4, then move some more. Not fast and furious shooting, but went thru 80 rounds in my 243, all from typical antelope hunting positions with the bipod. Every time I take that 243 out, I am impressed with how deadly it is. Thinking I might even use it on antelope with those 80 grain Ballistic Tips. Ever hear of anyone killing a big game animal with Ballistic Tips? LOL
Did you buy a new truck yet? Chevy is giving lots of rebabtes right now, if you are interested in Chevies at all. I have been looking at the Colorado for gas mileage.
Fred

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah for some reason or another I think it'll do just fine on anything that we hunt. I feel that it's a super bullet that gets over looked a lot.

I've done some very good work with the 150 out of the 270 as well. It's accurate and always flat out kills game.

Nope, haven't done anything about a truck, buying a different rig for me is about as much fun as fist fights and divorces...so, I'll most likely just buy some new skins for my old F150 and keep er going.

NBT's on game, how dare you..........

Dober

(ps, saw Bill K out at the Willow Creek Cafe last night)

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Are you talking about the Speer Throphy Bonded bullet ? As I recall, they are like $1, or more, a piece. Not me. Way too expensive.
Don't get me wrong. I prefer premium bullets, even for the type of deer hunting I often do. But the most expensive ones I'll even consider using are the Swift A-Frames. And then only for elk.
I'm not sure that even the SAF's have anything going for them over the Barnes TSX or the Nosler Partition.
And if I didn't insist on hunting the types of 4 yr. old bucks that I do, I'm not sure the premiums would even give me anything significant for the usual deer hunting conditions. Let's just say I like to indulge myself with the edge that premiums give me. E

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The 154 Hornady is a great bullet. It and the 145grn Speer Hot-Core have served me quite well. The "premiums" are just another course to the same meal and are only truly justified by marginal differences.

This is God's universe, and he has a plan. You might think that you have aa better plan, but you don't have a universe.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Hot Dog! I can't hardly believe it. You guys sound like me, their is a bullet that works, that doesn't say Barnes on the box.
I loaded them in my buddies 280 Rem Mtn Rifle for Elk and deer this fall in Wyoming. I will be using the same brand in a 6.5x55 and 7x57. They just flat work.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I just picked up a box of these to try in my 280 Mt. rifle. Sounds like I made a good choice.Loaded some up with R-19 but haven't had time to make it to the range.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
crazyUnless of course he started using the 139 Horns flat bases...grins

Dober

True, true, true. Man, I could just use the 139 forever and be a happy guy. The 139 surely whacks bull elk dead ricky-tick.

Steve

I am heartened to see all the positive comments about the Hornady 139gr bullets! I bought about a thousand a few years ago from a gunstore going out of business -- figured to just use them for practice.

Although I often select Sierra for accuracy, these Hornady 139gr bullets have shot like a house afire in two different rifles. Seems I should not be surprised at this either!

A wealth of first hand information on this forum!

John

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You guys just reminded me that I bought a couple hundreds of those Hornady 154gr that I got on a trade a couple years ago. I wouldn't use a simple core and cup bullet for hunting but I'm sure they would work on paper! whistle grin. I should go load a few for the 7mm Rem Mag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If anybody has any 154gr 2nds they want to sell reasonable. PM me. I bought some from Midway that are technically 150gr but you can't miss the Hornady shape. I could use more.........

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Way back in the falls of my youth as I steadily climbed the cartridge ladder, I stopped at the 7mm RM for awhile and stoked it with the 154s which easily sedated a couple of pick-up loads of S.D. deer. They never failed to work well and though I have no doubt they will work well in the smaller 7s as well I'd be inclined try the 139-gr Horn too.

The 139 just seems to my mind to be a better weight for those cases. I have a new .284 (I'm going back down the ladder) coming my way this fall, hopefully, and I have the Horn 139 and 154-grainers already on the shelf just waiting.

I've found that the Horn Interlocks to be one of the most accurate bullets of all I've tried over the years.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The bullets and the people at Hornady are first rate. I live just 90 miles away ane stop in when I'm close. They sell seconds in the lobby and are friendly as hell. I've even chatted with Steve Hornady in the lobby.

The Interlocks are serious bullets for practice bullet cash. I still have TSX's around but if I'm left with my "practice" load at hunting camp I'm good to go. I think they get overlooked they are accurate and tough. If I need an accuracy load I go to these before anything else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

........... homometalic bondage core bullets,I just grin and nod. grin

Got me nodding and grinning too! grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The 7mm 154g Hornady Sp is one of the very best kept secrets in the reloading world. They are extremely accurate out of every 7 Mag that I have shot them in.

In the Browning A-Bolts, Win 70's, and Rem 700's, two loads are supurb on deer, elk, and hogs:

63.0g of IMR 4350, Rem Case,9 1/2 primer, bullet seated to touch
the lands at 3050-3100 fps

73.0g of R#25, Rem case; WLR-Mag primer; bullet seated to touch
the lands at 3200 fps

We have killed many elk with both of these loads. The 63.0g load will shoot a hole through both shoulders of a 250 lb hog.

The Interlock on the base of this flat base bullet really works as seen from the bullets that I have recovered.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Well folks,
I have some 154 IL's loaded for my new custom 7X57......

Hopefully I will have a range report soon!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I caught hell for praising the 154-gr Hornady bullets a few years ago.
My, how things change, or how different they are when the posters are those who have used the bullets.

I am loading up some 154-gr SSTs for my 7x64 Brenneke next.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I use the 154 gr. Hornady SP almost exclusively in my .280 Rem with great results. Mostly on deer/sheep sized game. I might go with a heavier/tougher bullet if I were to go after elk or moose sized game, but usually I just go to a bigger rifle. I have never recovered a bullet on deer sized game with that load. Always excellent accuracy as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have about 70 or so 154gr. SST's if someone has some 100gr, .257,IL's or .284 120gr B-Tips... or anything Barnes really..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How will the interlock 154 gr do at 3100-3200 fps?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I saw my brother use them a bunch in his 7 rem mag from deer to moose. One bull I saw him shoot was approx. 300 yards away. One shot broadside high in the shoulder dropped him and came to rest against the hide on the opposite shoulder. The bullet went through at least one shoulder blade. I sometimes thought it was a bit tough for deer, at least compared to my 270 loads.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (B52RadarNav, 35, 808outdoors, ar33c9, 10Glocks, 308ld, 8 invisible), 1,208 guests, and 754 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,688
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.