Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
What's the concensus on this one??. I went to the range this morning with last winter's project. A stainless Rem SPS with a .260 Rem take off barrel in mountain contour in a Ti stock. I had tried a few loads in the Spring but wasn't getting the speed I was looking for. This time I tried some 120gr TSX and 140gr Hornady with H414. I got the speed I was looking for but accuracy was in the 3-4".

This is an unproven rifle so I don't know if I should waste more powder and bullets to find a more accurate load or start with a clean slate and bed/float the barrel.

What do you guys do with your Mountain and Ti rifles, float them or keep the pressure point??

HR IC

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You say you didn't get speed in the spring,did you get accuracy?

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have three, all wear or have worn Ti stocks. I have left the pressure points and each one is MOA capable. One thing you might make sure of is even pressure by lightly sanding down the pressure points with 300 grit and a round object like a small deep well socket wrapped in the sandpaper.

But if it's the pressure points, you should see the group rise or go left or right against the uneven pressure as it heats up.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have never owned a rifle yet, that didn't shoot better with a floated barrel. Let the flames begin...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
dogcatcher: Got a spare suit?.........float the sucker... eek

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I used to think floating was a ridiculous expense.

Now, I can say the same as Dogcatcher.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All my rifles are free floating. My Vanguard's original stock had a built in pressure point...would group like yours. Switched out to a synthetic with free floating. If I'm on, it will shoot under an inch consistently.

Free float it. If your rifle groups like you say, I'd say it can only improve...probably substantially.

IMHO.

B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
You say you didn't get speed in the spring,did you get accuracy?

Don't know, I had only loaded a few cartridge with some H4350 and RL19 to test some charges. Didn't like the speed so I stopped to switch powder. Only got back at it now.

B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Floating was the first thing that came to mind as well but this is the first "pencil" barrel rifle I've had. I've heard a few times that they do better with some pressure. I wanted to hear from guys that been there and done that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On my sons 7-08 Mtn rifle, groups dropped nearly in half after adding a pressure point. I had floated it originally, but it didn't group acceptably. This is an early version, walnut with black forend tip. My M70 Fwt. improved nearly as much with the pressure added back in. I would prefer to float a hunting rifle, but always go with what the rifle wants.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unequivocally agree. My closest friend and business partner has taken the world slam of sheep and is one Desert Bighorn away from his second North American grand Slam - all with .270 mountain rifles full length neutral bedded. My son's (formerly my wife's, prior to her ULA) 7-08 LSS went to a true .7" rifle with near anydarnthing fed through it after the same treatment.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I float the barrels, but bed the action and 2 or 3 inches of the shank.

Has always worked for me.

Al

B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Maybe I'll try to old credit card under the barrel trick to temporarily free float the barrel to see if it helps before making any drastic change.

Does anybody know if simply sanding the pressure point is enough on those stocks to free float it or do you have to glass bed it to lift it up a bit?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you have just a pressure point, sanding it out (carefully) shouldn't be a big challenge.

But you might have a good idea first in shimming the action itself enough to float the barrel for some rounds at the range to see what happens...keeping in mind that you don't want to create a different problem with the action's bedding that might mask the results of free floating.

Glass bedding is always a good idea.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not pointed at any poster here, and at the risk of sounding "Big Stickish", which to me is a good thing, and to other anathema...

..this [bleep] ain't rocket science. Adjust the trigger. Assure the crown cut. Bed the action as per hoyle, and the barrel full length neutral. If the dammed thing won't shoot, then relieve the barrel...

Done

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At the end of the day, that's what you do to make a gun shoot its best, isn't it!

I agree, totally.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I glass pillar and bed all of my mtn rifles, 3 so far, (keeping the pressure point gives me a better bedding job) shoot them and note the groups. If they don't make the grade, I then sand out the pressure point at the range and retest. Two of them so far have shot better free floated. The third a laminated stainless shot very well bedded with the minimal pressure from the point.

I also replace the factory bolt shroud and firing pin with GreTan or Tubbs. I chop the stocks by 3/4" and install a Decellerator.

I've got a fourth mtn rifle in the vise right now with the glass curing. I'll shoot it in a week and see what it likes.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
+1 on aalf post and taz4570 is right target

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If it isn't shooting, float the sucker. Like making children, it's easy to do with tools you probably have laying around the house! :-)

I would not float one without shooting it though. I've had two M700 MR's. One of them shoots GREAT with the pressure point. So you just don't know...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Well I tried to just sand off the pressure bumps at the tip of the stock but even with the bumps off there was still pressure at the tip. Even with a little more sanding the pressure was still there. So instead of hogging the channel too much I got the Acraglas out and bedded/floated it.

We'll see if it was the right solution.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 007FJ, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,756
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.