Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well,

I finally broke down and bought a Lyman trigger pull gauge. It is probably the best investment that I have made in long time. I knew that trigger pull weights on these older Ruger's were poor but I never dreamed it would average over 8 pounds!! The worst part is that the sear set screw is adjust out to where it is practically falling out!!

Never fear as I have a Timney waiting to be put in it...I just need the time to mess with it.

Calling a illegal immigrant an 'undocumented worker' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'!
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Those older Rugers have completely adjustable triggers, and do not need an aftermarket unless you are trying to go very low.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Be careful when you install the Timney, as you will need to mill some room in the stock and trigger guard. The stock work can be done with a dremel tool, but the trigger guard is best done with a mill or a drill-press with a good vise. The trigger guards are (mostly) made of aluminum alloy and are easy to crack if you're not careful. I know this because I've broken a few of them. The last time that I checked, Ruger didn't carry the trigger guards, but Jack Frost in Rapid City, SD, has them.

If given a choice, I prefer the Timney triggers in the tang safety Ruger 77s that I'm going to shoot much. I probably wouldn't install 1 in a collectable Ruger 77, because of the mill work necessary to fit the new trigger.

Jeff

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Another option is just get a Rifle Basix sear. It will allow you to go below 2 pounds, if that is what you want.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
What would be considered a collectable? I've got a M77 UltraLight Carbine in .243(18.5"bbl,iron sights,black tipped forend,etc). Oh,and that trigger "adjustment" screw does absolutely nothing on mine. Bought it for my daughter yrs back.

til later

Last edited by EZEARL; 08/13/08.
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
On the old Rugers, a spring swap will help with the trigger weight. Otherwise its not to bad. I have 4 TS. One has a timney and three have mildy tuned triggers with the spings replaced. I don't have a guage but my guess is some where in the 4lb range. Not quite what I would want for shooting groups but pretty good for general hunting. I have a another timney in the basement but haven't felt the need to install it.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You description sounds like a 77 RLS (Rife, Light, Sights). Since it was a cataloged style chambered for a common cartridge and not in NIB condition, I'd call it a shooter and either keep playing with the existing trigger or go with a Timney and its associated modifications.

Jeff

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Those older Rugers have completely adjustable triggers, and do not need an aftermarket unless you are trying to go very low.

While you may have a decent older 77 trigger, mine is not so great. I have the set screw just about adjusted OUT and it is still at around 8 pounds.

Calling a illegal immigrant an 'undocumented worker' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Be careful when you install the Timney, as you will need to mill some room in the stock and trigger guard. The stock work can be done with a dremel tool, but the trigger guard is best done with a mill or a drill-press with a good vise. The trigger guards are (mostly) made of aluminum alloy and are easy to crack if you're not careful. I know this because I've broken a few of them. The last time that I checked, Ruger didn't carry the trigger guards, but Jack Frost in Rapid City, SD, has them.

If given a choice, I prefer the Timney triggers in the tang safety Ruger 77s that I'm going to shoot much. I probably wouldn't install 1 in a collectable Ruger 77, because of the mill work necessary to fit the new trigger.

Jeff

Thanks for the heads up. I will keep this in mind.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Yep,your right Jeff. Borrowed a Blue Book and looked it up. My 88 Gun Digest lists it as a UltraLight Carbine.Wasn't really considering altering it as it really doesn't get used much. Did check the zero on it today.
280RemFan said his trigger gauged at over 8lbs? Mines every bit of that! And as I said before that adjustment screw on mine does nothing. Got a friends M77.257Roberts I'm working a load up for and it's the same way. The triggers are consistent but HEAVY.

til later

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S

The set screw in the trigger on old 77's just works on the trigger return spring. To really adjust the trigger it's necessary to take the action out of the stock. The sear engagement and backlash are adjustable with screws in the trigger housing. My 77 has a perfectly solid and safe 3-lb trigger that hasn't varied in over 34 years. It helps to have a schematic of the trigger group. Of course the best bet is a gunsmith or advanced tinkerer who knows what to do for you. Still, anyone with a spoonful of sense can figure it out for himself with a diagram. Old Ruger ads from the early 70's had a great color x-ray of the 77 action...it's what I used to figure out how to 'fructify' my trigger.

The Wise said: "This cannot be done". The Fool came, and did it.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Appreciate the info ss. Not really concerned with mine but will mention it to my friend for sure. He's got another M77 in .300 Winchester Magnum that he says has an even heavier trigger.

til later

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess I've been lucky. I own 2 M77's. One an original year M77 in .25-06 new in '68 or '69 and has a great trigger. Another I bought when the MkII's came out in .30-06 because I liked the old style tang safety - this would have been in the early 90's and it has a decent trigger as well. Not as good as tuned jewell/timney or something but perfectly acceptable for a hunting rifle.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Cag Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As far as I know, MK II's do not come with the tang safety. I thought that only the old Model 77 comes with the tang safety and also with an adjustable trigger.

Alfredo

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Back in the day when the tang-safety M77 was Ruger's current bolt gun adjusting the trigger by cutting one turn from the trigger spring was a common fix. I recall reading about it in at least one issue of Rifle magazine, IIRC the article was about a M77 in one of the not ordinary cartridges.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody have or know where to find a schematic and/or instructions on how to adjust the TS triggers?

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cag
As far as I know, MK II's do not come with the tang safety. I thought that only the old Model 77 comes with the tang safety and also with an adjustable trigger.

Alfredo

I think what I said wasn't clear. I bought an old model M77 with tang safety when the MkII's came out when they still had the old ones on the shelf - because I hated the new MKII's. Never owned one and never will.

Otto is my co-pilot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,652
Posts18,474,638
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.