Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
La. teen who hung nooses gets 4 months in prison

2 hours, 18 minutes ago

A Louisiana teenager who hung nooses off the back of his truck to intimidate a group of black civil rights demonstrators has been sentenced to four months in prison.

Federal prosecutors say 19-year-old Jeremiah Munsen displayed the nooses when he drove past people who had attended a massive civil rights march in Jena on Sept. 20.

Munsen had faced up to a year in prison after pleading guilty in April to a misdemeanor charge of interfering with the marchers' federally protected right to travel.

The marchers were waiting in Alexandria for a bus home to Tennessee. They had been protesting the criminal cases against six black teenagers charged with beating a white student at Jena High School in 2006.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
YES he should! that is terrible

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"The marchers were waiting in Alexandria for a bus home to Tennessee. They had been protesting the criminal cases against six black teenagers charged with beating a white student at Jena High School in 2006."

Kinda balances out wouldn't you say?

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A fellas free speech has to be protected, but only if he is in the minority.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No he shouldn't , unless he used the nooses.

That prison sentence is BS

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 6mm250
No he shouldn't , unless he used the nooses.

That prison sentence is BS

Mike

+1

SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think its a bad thing but he didnt hurt or obstruct anyone from demonstrating according to this report...kind has me scratching my head...I guess if I offend someone without any physical action, i can go to jail for it... maybe STEVE_NO will weigh in

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not only for a noose but what about those lawn jockeys or the Confederate flag? Anybody racially insensitive enough to have one of those on display should be thrown in prison as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The judge that imposed that sentence is the one who should be in jail.

Mike

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SAKO75

The marchers were waiting in Alexandria for a bus home to Tennessee. They had been protesting the criminal cases against six black teenagers charged with beating a white student at Jena High School in 2006.

Yup, they shoulda' put all of them marchers in jail...........

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
He broke the law.

The law doesn't care about should or shouldn't, only that it must be obeyed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's folks in a city in a few counties over, who want a police investigation into a noose, that a man put up on his own property. The folks that are complaining want it investigated as a hate crime.

These folks haven't seen hate crimes, we've still got counties in this state, were people burn crosses and wear white robes and pointy hats.

C
ccd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes, the law is pretty clear on this. You don't really have a right to free speech or to be a Knucklehead(in regards to your racial views). If you think this is bad, as concerned to violating his 1st amendment rights, you should really look at what Political Correctness has done in Europe in regards to speech rights concerning criticisms of religion, ethnic groups, gay rights, etc (unless it is about the Romas(gypsies) then you are free to talk and do what you will).
We are pretty much resolved to this being the standard until SCOTUS rules that the minority population has benefited enough(or achieved equality) from the confiscation of the majority's rights. This is also the basis for the quotas and EOCC. The very fact that you HAVE to rent houses, apartments, etc. to anyone that applies even if you find their lifestyle,religion,etc. objectionable violates the very concept of liberty. SCOTUS still doesn't believe that enough time has passed as they ruled on quotas a few years ago, so maybe in 30 years when there is no majority population they will finally be good enough to give us back our full set of freedoms(although government doesn't really make a habit of doing so.)

Last edited by ccd; 08/15/08.
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
If Obama wins, I'm opening a web business selling lawn jockeys.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I�m with VA, he broke the law.

It�s intimidation pure and simple. The KKK is always trying to intimidate within the law, it�s their last bastion of protest. This guy just tripped over the law and got caught. He was wrong both legally and morally, enjoy your stay in jail you POS.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I�m with VA, he broke the law.

It�s intimidation pure and simple. The KKK is always trying to intimidate within the law, it�s their last bastion of protest. This guy just tripped over the law and got caught. He was wrong both legally and morally, enjoy your stay in jail you POS.

So when the klan starts intimidating people with oven mitts, we�ll throw them in jail for that too right?

It�s not the object per say, it�s whether or not it intimidates people.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Next thing ya know they�ll be throwing people in prison for drawing cartoons of Mohammed.

I agree that intimidating people is wrong especially when they do it by dictating what speech or symbols are off limits to the rest of us.

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
Did any of you guys happen to see the rubber ball sac that you can buy to hang off your rear bumper? Not asking for opinions about "taste"; just want to know if you feel that is intimidating to females or more exactly "feminists"? Was "intent" proven in this guy's case?
We have to be careful about the "slippery slope" effect here. How far will the gov. go into this area of speech?

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A noose is a long way from an oven mit. You can take it to the extreme, but in this particular case, the intention and the meaning was quite clear; the guy goes to jail.

If in the future someone goes to jail for the oven mitt, then I would imagine that one would be appealed to the Supreme Court to define what is and isn't considered ok.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No doubt that young man should learn to be more considerate of others , just as the black people should learn to GET OVER IT.

My ancesters (all of them) are of Slavic origin. Adolph Hitler did not like the Slavic people any better than he did the Jews. One of my great-aunts was put in a Nazi slave camp in WWII. I don't run to a policeman if I see a swastika.

I do not believe in the idea of "hate crimes" , that is discrimination too. People , any people should stand on their own merits and not hide behind BS laws like that.

BTW KevinGibson , I think it is a bit strong to call that young man a POS , he probably just doesn't have good sense.

Mike

Jerry Miculek
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 6MMWASP, 9 invisible), 1,459 guests, and 863 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,082
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.