Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I am thinking of buying a HS precision Pro Hunter Lightweight in 300 wsm. I would put a 2.5x8 Leupold on it. Any opinions about this package? Pros vs. Cons? As this would be my most expensive gun purchase to date and I don't want to regret it. I already own a Weatherby Accumark in 300 wby. I just want a light rifle to use when I don't want to pack the weatherby.

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sound awesome to me...........go for it.
Though having 2 30 cals might be a little redundant, kinda like me, I have a .308, 300 WSM, and a 30/378.......some redundancy there.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Sounds good! I almost went with a H.S. Precision in 300 WSM. I opted for the Nosler Model 48, you may want to check them out as well. It came down to what rifle felt more comfortable in my hands.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I hunt in mountains of north GA and have a HS Precision PHL in 7mm-08 with a mid-power Leupold scope. Every part in them including the cut-rifled barrel and trigger is made in house. I will never
regret spending the money and believe these rifles are a great value. Nothing in these parts warrants a larger caliber. The unique
stock design of the PHL should manage the .300 WSM recoil. Any larger caliber or with any other stock design...I'd want more weight in the rifle.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
For the money, you could build an even better custom gun including scope. Personaly, I'd buy a Kimber Montana and mount a Leupold scope on it. I'd use the extra money for a pair of Svarovski binoculars or put it towards a hunt.

Honestly, If you really like the gun and can afford it, then buy one. It should be a good combo.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They are great rifles. I had a choice when I bought mine between the regular PH with fluted barrel or the lightweight.
I'm glad I chose the regular taper as the lightweight is pretty thin for a 300 WSM.
I've seen 3 or 4 lightweights in 270 WSM and 300 WSM on the used racks since then.
The Teflon finsih looks great but may be a little soft for your liking.

I like it here. They let me swear.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've heard to many bad things about them for me to buy 1,I'd have a good gunsmith build me 1 that I wanted,that way the rifle would be built with everything I wanted.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What have you heard that's bad about them crittergetter?
Not trying to start an arguement but just wondering if there's something I'm missing.
Other than being a "clip" gun and having that Teflon finish I'm more than happy with mine.

Fact is when the wallet gets fattened up some I'm looking seriously at a .204 or 22-250 HB to go with the WSM.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple HS rifles including a HTR in 300 WSM. I guess my only complaint about the 300 WSM HTR is that the magazine won't allow bullets longer than 2.860. With some bullet ogives it would be nice to be able to seat them longer than the normal SAAMI max to play more with different distances from the lands. That being said the 4 different HS rifles I've loaded for easily met their accuracy guarantee.

When you really add up what you get with an HS Precision rifle I think you'll find that they are one of the better deals in a custom rifle that's out there. You get a precision made action, a premium barrel, custom stock, good trigger etc. and an accuracy guarantee. You can pay more or pay less to have an equivelant rifle stuck together by any number of different gunsmiths but not all of them will have the same accuracy guarantee and rarely will a custom rifle hold it's value near as well as a named gun like an HS unless it'sput together by a very well known smith.

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Worked with a fellow a few years back who had just broke up a decent M-700 into a 4000.00 dollar "custom" 280 Remington.
It sported just about every famous name component I could think of and for 4000.00 dollars it made nice big 8 inch patterns at 100 yards.
Our HS rifles are a pretty good bargin when you look at the shafting he took.
Hell if they're good enough for the United States Marine Corps it's good enough for me!

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I can't say because I don't want to be sued,I would still have a rifle custom built for me,probably save money and it would be my rifle.I've had 8 rifles custom built for me over the last 3 years and couldn't be happier with the results.All shoot less than or equal to 1/2in. groups and all very fine looking rifles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the HS rifles are a fine package. I did not put the cash down though because when I held one it did not feel *right. It seemed to have a high comb and straight stock that I could not get used to.

Great rifle, but try to hold one before you buy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Feels like and looks like a nice rifle to me as well. I would however make sure to run some dummy rounds thru one first just to ensure that it fed in a manner which was acceptable to me.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thanks guys. Keep the info coming. I am still right on the edge of the fence. I am trying to find a 300 wsm to play with. The local store has a 270 wsm and I love the feel.

Dober that is a great idea about running dummy rounds through it. My hunting partner would have less headaches if he could have done that with the Weatherby ultralight he just bought. When he took it to range it would not chamber a round, PERIOD. And this was about 6 weeks after he bought it. I will say the gun store did refund his money in the end.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You wont have that trouble with any HS that you choose because it will come with a three shot target plus the load specs that shot that target from HS.

Bottom line is it will shoot well,feed well and work smooth as deer guts on a gearshift.

BTW what I've noticed with mine is they are not "fussy" rifles.
I took out 6 boxes of Winchester grey box power points when I bought mine simply for the brass.
I wasnt expecting cloverleafs but thats what I got with it more often than not.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

284 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 270wsmnutt, 26 invisible), 14,121 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,109
Posts18,541,996
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.