Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Got a new CZ527 in .22 Hornet and it is very accurate. However, I like to shoot Hornady 50gr bullets and have to seat them real deep so they will cycle through the magazine.
I have some reloads with Lil Gun and the 50gr Hornady that I loaded for my Ruger 77/22 Hornet and they shoot great in my CZ but I have to load them one at a time. Bummer!!!

Neil

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
wow.....you got those longer,heavier 50 grain Hornady sx soft points to stabilize and shoot accurste out of a 1/16 twist cz hornet?

Interesting.........never tried it.

anywho- yes, I have seen the fine link someone posted about the cz hornet clip mods for longer bullets. Its the same as their .222 clip but with the plastic spacer.

I think it was either a saubier.com or go go varminter

"I ain't as good as I once was but, I'm as good once as I ever was"
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Yes Bill, the Hornady 50gr shoot great in my Ruger and my CZ with 1.16" twist.You ought to try them.
Thanks for the links.

Neil

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Read post #2 here for magazine modifications:
http://www.coyotegods.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=3&Number=221437

Bruce

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bcp
Read post #2 here for magazine modifications:
http://www.coyotegods.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=3&Number=221437

Bruce

Here it is:

"The CZ hornet uses the same magazine body as the .222 versions. There is a plastic spacer pinned inside the magazine to compensate for the difference in COAL�s. Strip the magazine, look inside and you will see it.

The front of the spacer is tapered, and the rear (the side that goes against the mag body) is flat. Drive out the two pins and remove the spacer. Remove .010� to .015� of material from the flat side of the plastic spacer (I used an end mill, but it could easily done on a disc sander if you take it easy and keep the heat down). Reinsert the spacer in the mag body, level the mag in a drill press, and re-drill the pin holes using the original holes in the metal magazine as a guide. Insert the pins and flair the ends using the appropriate size pin punch, or a dab of locktite to keep them in place.

Usually, that is all there is to it.

Occasionally, a magazine modified this way can cause the top round in the mag to �nose down� a bit which can cause feeding problems. If this happens, it may be necessary to add a spacer or shim to the back of the follower to make up for the angle change. Cut a piece of shim stock the same thickness as the amount of material removed from the spacer, and fasten it to the back of the magazine follower. I have silver-soldered copper shims on them, and TIG welded stainless shim stock to them, and both work equally well. I imagine a fellow could even use epoxy and a shim made from a nickel or quarter coin.

It is easier to do than describe."

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, I will need to give it a try, I've been limiting my loads to short bullets(35 gr v-max)

Neal
NRA Endowment Life Member.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by nmitchell
Yes Bill, the Hornady 50gr shoot great in my Ruger and my CZ with 1.16" twist.You ought to try them.
Thanks for the links.

Neil

I tried the Hornady 45 PSP Hornet bullet in it just recently but was not able to match the accuracy of 45 Varminters SP's from that Hornet. C.O.L. of 1.75" with that pointed bullet cycled fine in my stock clip but it was max. FWIT - that bullet shoots great in my Win. M-70 Hornet. Ran Lil Gun under/in both Hornets with that bullet. My guns like Lil Gun with any bullet light or heavy. My Winchester 296 powder is going to be used as a fire starter pretty soon as it is just wasteing my time with any bullet load for the Hornet compared to Lil Gun.
I will pick up some 1680 some day to fiddle with.

"I ain't as good as I once was but, I'm as good once as I ever was"
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
njs1230 has used the 50 V-Max from his Handi Rifle K-Hornet; he just forgot. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't handload for my CZ Hornet, and am not particularly concrened with capacity, so I had the mag shortened for a more streamlined style.

It's nice to have the mag info, posted above, filed away for future reference, though - Thanks !

[Linked Image]

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Rangr44
I don't handload for my CZ Hornet, and am not particularly concrened with capacity, so I had the mag shortened for a more streamlined style.

It's nice to have the mag info, posted above, filed away for future reference, though - Thanks !

[Linked Image]

How many Rounds does it hold like this?????

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think shooting from 10ft in the basement qualifies as a good test wink

Neal
NRA Endowment Life Member.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Good enough for you......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Bill_I
wow.....you got those longer,heavier 50 grain Hornady sx soft points to stabilize and shoot accurate out of a 1/16 twist cz hornet?
I shoot 55gr Hornady's or Sierra's and now boat tails and used to shoot 60gr Hornady spire points in my 1-in-16 twist hornet. The 55gr bullets are indistinguishable from a 308 at 200m on turkey and do about the same damage on goat at under 100m as a 308 (chest shot, not shoulder) but makes smaller holes in the skin. The performance on goat surprized me! Obviously the 308 would do a lot more damage if it struck shoulder bone.

I nearly forgot to mention - these loads all work through the magazine. The 60gr bullet is seated to the base of the neck over a compressed Lil'Gun charge. (I can only estimate velocity - based on trajectory - at around 2580fps. The 55gr loads get around 2680 fps). Accuracy is as good as anything else I have tried.

I should add; these loads are not overloads in my rifle, with the components and loading techniques I use.

Last edited by 303Guy; 08/17/08.

303Guy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,832
Posts18,478,032
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.