Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BOW777 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I usually buy the regular 4" vanes. I have seen the more popular now 2" vanes. Is there any advantage to those? I would think that the 4" will give you better accuracy/flight correct?

When Ronald Reagan was president, we had Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.
Now that Barack Obama is president, we have NO hope and NO cash.

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Supposedly more velocity, I use the 3" vanes.....best of both worlds.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have been using the 2s last two years.with my compounds.a little faster a little less forgiving.arrows of proper spine , tuned bow as should be .You should not have any trouble .
It is fun to try different and new.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One of the main advantages of the a 2" vane versus longer is a more rigid construction. Consequently, the vane is less likely to become "wavy" from passing through rests (whisker biscuit types), targets, or game.

What is lost is surface area, reducing the vanes influence on arrow flight and making it less forgiving to improper setup or tune.

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been using the Blazer vanes for several years now with great success.
The Blazer is only 2" long, but it's little bit taller than a regular vane. It has a steeper pitch to the angle from front to rear, adding more surface area quickly and was specifically designed to drive broad heads. My camp all shoot the Blazers with either Muzzy or Slick Trick magnum heads. They are supposed to give you a few more fps, since there is less air drag....but I doubt it's enough to notice.
It is THE vane to use if you shoot a Whisker Biscuit rest.
Here's my set up and last years unlucky blacktail smile
[Linked Image]

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

IC B2

BOW777 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
By the looks of what I am hearing, I think I will stick with the 4". I can use the most forgiveness I can get.........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BOW777,

Do you fletch your own ? If so, buy a small hand full and give them a whirl. It'll cost you very little and you may be impressed.

I actually have to back off a little on what I wrote about getting more fps out of the Blazers. IF... you shoot both 2" and 4" through a chronograph, I'll bet you'll see little or no difference. But... if you shoot both arrows side by side at extended range, say 50 yards, you will see a difference in "drop".

When my son and I went to the range a couple of years ago, we started out right at the 50 yard butts. He shot some arrows and they were all several inches low. I told him he was using the wrong pin and showed him which one to use... he was already using the proper pin for that range.

I was puzzled until I noticed that he was using my older arrows with 4" Duravanes. We shot both sets of arrows through both of my bows and the Blazers printed higher than the Duravanes from 40 yards on out in every case. My conclusion was that the extra drag from the longer vanes were scrubbing off speed.

The only real difference to the average archer will be pin gap. With less drag, your pin gap will be tighter using Blazers (or similar vanes)at the longer ranges.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I am shooting 2" Blazers, on Easton Axis FMJ's thru two bows, both equipped with Whisker Biscuit rests.

There is no tendency for the vanes to get wavy, and some of these arrows have been shot countless times with no damage whatsoever.

They stabilize my Muzzy broadheads very well- I can't see shooting anything different.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I am shooting arrows fletched with the standard 4" vanes and I also have a few arrows with 3" vanes. I have 18 of the new NAP quick spin broad head vanes but have not yet tried them. I do know that in my bow the 3" vanes will Impact the target 1" higher than the 4" vanes. I am going to shoot all three vanes across a chronograph and shoot out to 40 yards to see how much of a difference there is in trajectory.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

BOW777 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Would like to here back on your results Killahog

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (6mmbrfan, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 890 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,119
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.