Print Thread
Hop To
G
GPA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
HELP!!! I am new to walley fishing. The creek (small river) I have been fishing for the past couple of years regularly yields a walleye or two, but I miss WAY more than I catch.

Typical scenario...using minnows, chubs, or stonecats: Fish picks up the bait and runs with it....stops....starts a second run. That's when I strike. Many are the times that I battle the fish with a severely bent pole...drag singing...only to have the fish let go and give up the bait. I can actually feel a scratchy, scraping as the bait is released. My suspicion is that the walleye was just holding on...not hooked.

Question: What am I doing wrong? How can I catch more of these aggressive biters?

Thanks,
GPA

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Not to sound condescending, but, are you sure it's eyes that are picking up? Small nicks on your line are a dead giveaway, retie if you find nicks.

Sounds to me like a better hook may be in order, your not getting the point across. Danged if I can recall the ones I'm using, must be having a brain farte. It's one of the lazer sharp O'Shaunesey's (sp).

I know thier targeted more to short bitters, but I've found a small stinger helps for "tuggers" also. I also switched to fireline a number of years ago and found that the solid hookset it gives is a plus.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Might give circle hooks a try.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Use a "stinger" hook available from Northland Tackle and place just one of the treble hooks behind the dorsal fin of your minnow. This should solve your problem.

Doc

G
GPA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for the replies. Right now, my baitfishing outfit includes 6 lb. Stren in Hi-Viz Gold, with an 18" leader of 14 lb. Fireline, joined at a barrel swivel to help eliminate line twist...and either Tru-Turn hooks or Gamakatsu Octopus hooks. I will pick up some Stingers before my next outing.

Note: I'm pretty sure the fish I'm losing are walleyes. Using stonecats for bait, it could only be walleye...smallmouth...or fallfish. Neither the bass nor the fall fish would put up a dogged fight for several seconds without a hook set, or in the bass's case without a jump.

Thanks again,
GPA

Anybody else ???

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can only echo give me more time to run and "stingers". And I might add, you could run some crawlers and leeches as well.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 08/23/08.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Stingers will work but I assume you are using a spinning outfit with the 6 lb line, I would try lip hooking the minnow but dont close your bail,, when you feel your bait being picked up give it more line, like a 10 count, close your bail and if the fish isnt running slowly pick up your slack, dont jerk the rod on the hookset just reel steady until you feel weight then a slight jerk and you should be in business, I would try a Lindy Rig first and then a jig with a stinger

G
GPA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks Mark & Dakotakid. All my walleye fishing intentional or accidental) is done in a moderate sized freestone stream. The ONLY bait that has put walleyes on our stringers is the stonecat (lip-hooked). We have struck out with crawlers and have not really tried artificials....do not have a source for, therefor have not tried leeches.

You have me thinking: Maybe I have been a little too aggressive with my striking in an effort to set the hook.....works with smallmouths...maybe not walleyes. Will give that ten-count and sweep-set a try.

Thanks again,
GPA

Anybody else ??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
4 the slow walleye's theres been more than once when Dad and I had to go to a 20-30 count b4 setting the hook.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a little surprised the crawlers haven't worked for you, but you've received some good info here.

Good luck!

[img][IMG]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m238/Kevin_Teed/Picture056.jpg[/img][/img]

IC B3

G
GPA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Whoo Boy.....NICE FISH !!!!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
GPA,

first off I would use the fireline for line on your spool, not your leader material. Try using the 6# test as the leader.

next, I would get some different hooks, komagatsou or lazer sharp...something, espically if you are fishing in the rocks.

then, as others said, try a stinger hook. but only if you plan to keep the fish, because usually with the stingers they will be hooked good and deep off the back of that minnow.

It also could be that you are getting small fish to bite and the bait is just too much, they may need a bit more time to eat it.

once you feel the fish bite, give it a few seconds, tighten your line and if you still feel the weight of the fish, set the hook, HARD...so hard his eyes cross. if it still doesn't work, keep fishin' man you'll figure it out.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.
G
GPA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I like your last comment: I will definitely KEEP ON FISHING, even if I don't figure it out. Will check out the hooks you mention....I am definitely fishing in the rocks.

Thanks,
GPA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

292 members (22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 29 invisible), 2,226 guests, and 970 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,515,025
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.