Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Just picked up a 375 H&H and wondering if I could run a hard cast bullet up to 2300-2400 fps as an alternative to expensive jacketed bullets. I also have a 45/70, 44 mag and 41 mag which would run at slower velocity obviously. I would think a gas check bullet would be in order, but I don't know a whole lot about it. I won't cast my own, at least for now. I appreciate your advice and any sources to get good bullets at reasonable price.

Thanks!
Sam

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
pick up the lyman hand book on bullet casting

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000159837249

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I've run 22 Hornets 46 grs at close to 2,900 with gas checks and a pard's 35 Whelen with 250s at 2,450. Sometimes it requires dinking, sometimes they don't. There is a lot of variables. Fitting the bullet to the throat (length and diameter) will make stuff easier.

I've never bought any, but I believe Beartooth Bullets would make a hard gas checked .376-.378 diameter rifle bullet. The moulds they use are good, but I know little about the company themselves.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'd look at beartooth if they have any that diameter.

I'd slug you're throat and get an idea of what size bullet you will need.

I'd also not look at full house loads. Aim for 2-300 fps slower and good accuracy. That way you'll get lots of practice in. It will be cheaper, not as punishing and fun.

Then save the jacketed bullets for your serious hunting.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot cast bullets using jacketed bullet loading data in the 405 Winchester, 30-06. I also use cast bullets exclusively in the 45-70, 45 Colt Winchester 92.
It's a matter of sizing, lube, gas check, alloy.
There's a lot of voodoo, hoodoo out there relating to shooting cast bullets at high velocity. Mostly it's common sense, experimenting, learning what works for you and your firearm.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How fast you can shoot a cast bullet without leading or accuracy problems doesn't have a simple you can push them xxxx fps and be fine. Leading/accuracy are related to the barrel/throat dimmensions, twist rate, bullet sizing, bullet hardness, lubricant, and the pressure the load you are running opperates at.

As a general rule of thumb you'll find most rifles will perform well with cast bullets driven 2000-2200 fps. If your barrel is "cast friendly" i.e. your throat is say 0.002" over bore dia, you have a slower twist, say max 1-12 better yet 1-14 or 1-15, and your cast bullets are sized 0.001" over bore dia and have a good lube you might just find that they group right in there when pushed 2300-2400 fps.

D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
HawkI

"I've run 22 Hornets 46 grs at close to 2,900 with gas checks".

What caliber were the above shot in at that speed and how was your accuracy?

Thank,
Dew

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Are gas checks mandatory if pushing hard lead over 2,000 fps?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Dew,

My hunting partner is a huge 22 Hornet fan and he has several. We have had no problems getting 3/4 in five shot groups with two of them in particular. One is a CZ 527, the other a A-Bolt Micro. Both have 1-16 in twists, which goes a long way to getting accurate full power loads.

These guns pretty much handle jacketed loads and lead loads alterately. Lil' Gun is the powder.

My 222's (1-14), despite being very accurate, just don't cotton to the cast loads like the 22 Hornet does.

A 35 Whelen is also slow twisted and responds well to cast at full power.

D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
HawkI Thanks.
One last question... which cast bullet were U using in the Hornet to get that kind of accuracy and also what lube if you don't mind sharing.

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Actually, two different ones. One is an old Herter's 46 gr, RN (made by Lyman) and the other is a 48gr. brass mould by NEI.

I had used LBT Blue Soft initially, then once I figured out what was required to hit high speed or high pressure I started making my own. Its cheaper, works better for me because its a touch softer and I don't have to call many times to ask if my order was lost.

LBT's lube technology was state of the art when it was created (mid to late 80's), but it can be duplicated today relatively easy and inexpensive. LBT Blue is still the best that can be BOUGHT, IMO. Alox was about the best before it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Should have added that I also load for the 375 Whelen using cast bullets exclusively. I've got the Lyman, Saeco, NEI and RCBS molds. They all shoot accurately using the loading data for 35 Whelen jacketed bullets as a starting load.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A friend of mine loads cast for his 375 H&H Model 70. He loads the Saeco 265 gr FP bullet to about 2600 FPS. The last I knew, he was using 50/50 WW/Lino alloy, and using up the last of his stockpile of Paco Kellys "Apache Blue" bullet lube. From what I hear, whitetail deer are VERY impressed with this load. Believe it or not, he's trying to figure out how to make the load shoot faster yet, without losing any accuracy. When I first met him, he thought cast bullets were dirty & inefficent. I've created a monster.

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HawkI
Actually, two different ones. One is an old Herter's 46 gr, RN (made by Lyman) and the other is a 48gr. brass mould by NEI.

I had used LBT Blue Soft initially, then once I figured out what was required to hit high speed or high pressure I started making my own. Its cheaper, works better for me because its a touch softer and I don't have to call many times to ask if my order was lost.

LBT's lube technology was state of the art when it was created (mid to late 80's), but it can be duplicated today relatively easy and inexpensive. LBT Blue is still the best that can be BOUGHT, IMO. Alox was about the best before it.

HawkI

Could you post your recipe(s) & instructions?

Casters are rare here in Sweden so opportunities to buy bullet lube of any sort are just about non-existant. Being able to make my own lube for full-power loads in my .358 Norma Mag and .375 H&H Mag would be neat!

John

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Plinker
Are gas checks mandatory if pushing hard lead over 2,000 fps?
This is a good question. I have aquired a No.4 Mk1* fitted with an English two groove barrel (that means the grooves are very narrow). The bore is good with a little surface rust damage (without the rust damage the bore would have been 'as new' - but it is shiny). I am planning on making a mold to suite my barrel for a 200 - 220 gr hollow point bullet. I plan to go without the gas check and instead use a cardboard wad and paper cup arrangement. I would be happy if I could just get 1800 fps but the 303 has a 1 in 10 twist so.... But if I could get 2000.... Not possible with that twist rate right?

My hornet with its 1 in 16 twist barrel was shooting 55gr gas checked bullets OK at, I think, about 2600 fps or more. (I currently run 55gr jacketed bullets and have used 60gr bullets as well. Lil'Gun runs them real quick!)

303Guy
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Dew,

You have a PM.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have exceeded 3,000 fps chronographed with a 200 gr hardcast, gas checked out of my .444T. I am using VV N-120 and am not at max load yet and don't see going any further. I have settled on a load that gives me 2,850 to 2,875. The bore on my rifle is .429 and my boolits are sized .432. I figure they will melt if I push them faster. blush No leading, no signs of excessive pressure and deadly accurate.

Dave cool

Last edited by VTDW; 08/21/08.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
303guy, you should be able to get to 2,000 fps with that bullet.

If you're using a GC bullet with NO gc on it, then all bets are off.

Why the hollow point?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by blammer
... Why the hollow point?
I thought that if I used hard alloy I would need to assist the expansion a bit. I have made a trial mold that casts nose up with an intergral gas check and I use a punch to plug the hole that also makes a hollow in the nose. (The bullet is pushed out the bottom of the mold and goes through a sizer to remove the slight shank taper). I have only loaded up one round so far. The bullet is seated in a paper patch. The bullet and neck is dipped into molten wax/lube and allowed to drip off. So the bullet is coated with lube and has a lubed paper patch and a GC. The powder charge is the starting load with Varget. Expected MV is around 2200fps. We'll see what happens.

I am planning on dropping the hollow point in favor of a sprue cutter - too difficult to maintain the correct temperature with the punch arrangement.

303Guy
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
with a harder alloy your bullet will shatter at higher velocity not "BEND"

With standard WW alloy water quenched you should easily be able to get to 2000 fps; that BHN will still allow for some expansion. Most work is done on a cast bullet with the Meplat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,828
Posts18,477,926
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.