Print Thread
Hop To
Page 59 of 1,842 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Good one Stan! smile

We're up at my buddies camp late one fall scouting, bird hunting, sipin' some Jim Beam, and talking smart.

We imbibiled the Beam a fair amount on Saturday night and we'er eating a spagetti and chilie breakfast. Well one of the boys, Jess comes in from the outhouse and sits down to eat. Kriegs, who drank his and several others share of the whiskey, asks if the crapper is still open. "Well yeah" he says "it's open".

Couple more minutes pass and kriegs drops this gawd awful fart on us, you know the kind, where the green haze lingers a while. Someone says to kriegs you better get to that can before we all suffer some more.

Kriegs, still eating his spagetti, with a grin only he has, looks up and says "naw I don't need to use the can anymore, but if somebody brought an extra pair of shorts, I'm gonna need them because I just schit my pants. sick blush

He never left the table until he was done eating, and he defenatly pooped his pants. Nobody had any extras so he hunted the rest of sunday with his longjohns on under his hunting pants.

The stories of kriegs are endless and we could start a thread on him alone. He reminds of the stories of Sherpa Kurt. Every camp need a guy like kriegs and wouldn't be the same without him.

I don't get to that camp too much anymore except on a few bird hunting trips every other fall or so. But it is a blast when we go.

Keep the stories coming guy. this is great stuff.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rooster7

every year they come home skunked but full of tall tales about the big one's that got away. I guess the stories get more and more elaborate every year. The truth was they didn't even hunt. They went for a 10 day drinking, card playing bender to get away from the wives.

Well yeah!
One weekend, many years ago, Me, a buddy, and his dad were sitting in a breakfast joint near Thief Lake. We were "taking the old man hunting" and he was one of those guys who gets all gussied up in red, goes to breakfast, then hits the woods full of restaurant smell. Anyway, in the next booth were two local fellers that saw we were tourists, up "hunting", and they asked if we had any luck. I said "no, not yet." One asked "Do you want to buy some sheep?" My buddy and I looked at each other and both said nearly in unison: "No, we got girlfriends." He laughed and politely explained that a skinned sheep looks like a deer to most spouses. Apparently they had a pretty good business going.

There are many copies.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeez, did I kill the thread? Was that some sort of secret I wasn't supposed to tell? smirk

There are many copies.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
nope I think maybe everyone was out in the woods, thread not dead. grin

Well we have a fridge at the shack now. Me, my oldest boy & a friend hauled out an old RV gas/electric fridge/freezer on Saturday. We fried some burgers, ate some beans, had a few beers, lit a bon fire, laughed & told stories. Then sunday we had a good bacon, taters, egg breakfast & went for a ride on my friend's polaris ranger. Saw about 6 deer, had a nice ride.

Them my boy & I cut a new trail with the tractor up in the north end of our property.

Great weekend, feels like fall is creeping in though. The ride to work on motorcycle was... brisk. 45 degrees when I left home, 25 mile ride @ 60-65, no windshield on the bike... I'll be trying to warm up for a couple hours now!

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
DPole,

you're not killin threads. I was playing in the woods yesterday with the family. Was over at the father in laws cutting wood. He lost a lot of trees durring the winter and summer storms. Cut a few truck loads and can feel it now, as I havn't done that since last December.

Then I put a railing on f-i-l's huge azz deck that I built for him this summer. The friggin thing is like 500ft.

dave,

Must have been a bit "awakening" on the bike this morning. fall is surely in the air. temps here were like 70 for a high yesterday, and they fell fast when the sun started to set. Someone near by had a campfire last night and it even smelled like fall a bit. 42 this morning on my way into work.

Saw a fair amount of deer movement on the ride in too. It's starting....

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Dave - How does the fridge work? Does it cool beer in 7 minutes?
I saw two does a mile from the house this morning on the way to work. Good sign that movement is picking up. I haven't seen hardly any deer all summer but there is so much corn around that even early bowhunting is going to be tough. I probably won't get too serious until mid october when the row crops start coming off.

Saturday was cool and even smelled like fall. The "boy" was even catching walleyes and catfish in the river not far from our place on saturday. I have caught northerns in there many years ago but never walleye. I think he's got the lucky horse shoe of fishin placed somewhere in his anatomy! smile

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The air here in north Louisiana smells like rain, not like fall. But fall is just around the corner. In about 9 weeks, I set up my tent in the deep woods and get ready for 45-70 season in 9 weeks & 5 days. I'll camp through 45-70/muzzleloader season and through the first week of regular rifle season.

The photo shows my deer camp in 2003. The car is now a truck, and the tent is now to be pitched just out of sight to the left. This tent location became a shallow pond after a heavy rain.

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Dave - How does the fridge work? Does it cool beer in 7 minutes?
The "boy" was even catching walleyes and catfish in the river not far from our place on saturday. I have caught northerns in there many years ago but never walleye. I think he's got the lucky horse shoe of fishin placed somewhere in his anatomy! smile

he text messaged me saying he was catching 18 inch walleye & even a huge sauger in that river, what the hell? I thought that thing was just full of northerns, carp & bull heads!!

If you see him let him know I cut a trail up to his ground blind, kind of made a loop up to his ground blind & then went south east towards my ladder stand. (porcupine stand)

There is also a nice trail running right past his granpa's stand, a guy made it recently so he could get out some firewood from a tamarack cutting that took place just south west of that stand last winter. small cut, 100 cord & the logger made a hell of a mess but that little trail past his stand is pretty nice & will probably help his hunting there.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
rooster,

lots of corn here too. I was thinking the same thing, not many deer around this year. You may have hit the nail on the head though, they may not have to move much. There is corn in places that have not had it before.

I have seen quite a few deer out in fields though. I taught a hunting/shooting class on Sat. up in tomahawk,wi and the camp chef hit a huge bodied 8 pt with a basket rack. The buck had some velvet peeling off the tips already. It could have been some road rash, but it sure looked like hard bone to me. scary part was the chef had the buck in the back of his truck. note to self, don't eat the roast at the camp...grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
the logger made a hell of a mess but that little trail past his stand is pretty nice & will probably help his hunting there.

almost every tractor path or cut trail at our camp has a deer trail on it, espically through the the thick stuff.

these places seem to be where most of the scrapes and rubs are come october, around that place anyway.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'll tell him if I see him. He's a hard one to keep up with. Always doing something outdoor related with his buddies. They got done fishing the river and came over to our house to grab his moms tahoe so they could pull the boat down to Big C to fish more. He's like the little bunny you see with the drum off to the right of this page. OH Hey did I tell you what we are planning? Since we both got our mounts back now, when the leaves start turning we are going to take them out and somehow hang them on the stand tree that they were both shot out of. Throw on our camo, grab our bows and take some pictures. Should look pretty neat I'm thinkin.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Junior1942
The air here in north Louisiana smells like rain, not like fall. But fall is just around the corner. In about 9 weeks, I set up my tent in the deep woods and get ready for 45-70 season in 9 weeks & 5 days. I'll camp through 45-70/muzzleloader season and through the first week of regular rifle season.

The photo shows my deer camp in 2003. The car is now a truck, and the tent is now to be pitched just out of sight to the left. This tent location became a shallow pond after a heavy rain.

[Linked Image]

I for one would love to see that car now that its a truck!

laugh

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bow season opened in the low country of South Carolina on August 15th.We here in the upstate have to wait a month past that.Bow opens Sept 15th.Muzzle loader begins on October 1st and regular gun season opens October 15th.The season runs thru January 1,2009.Gad, it looks and feels funny to write 2009.
While I have been recuperating I have been busy doing some reloading.I have a lot and I mean A LOT of 45/70 and .44 magnum loaded.Do you realize how many shells you can reload in two months of just piddling at it continuously?Whenever I get some spare time or get kinda bored or at loose ends I go out in the shop and do some reloading.I might do a dozen or two at a time or as much as 50.Damn,it adds up!

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Stan,

Can you shoot yet? It sound like you have plenty to do when you can. Nice to hear from you.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
tzone,
It is good to hear from you also,sir.I haven't pulled a trigger since early June and I am antsy as hell to do so but I gotta be careful to let the chest heal really good before subjecting it to recoil.Believe you me,the two 45/70's,the 8mm's,.308 and the rest of them sing their siren song to me all the time.Late at nught just before I go to sleep I can hear them in the gun safe all the way in the gun room thru the heavy door with their seductive calls.Time will come.The old man waits.

Stan

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Stan,

try tin foil inside the gun safe so you can't hear those voices. I don't know if will work, but it works on the inside of my hat grin.

I bet your going a little stir crazy. Loading all that ammo and not being able to shoot it. Any idea when you get to shoot? or is just when you feel up to it?

Tom

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
tin foil, that's good stuff right there.

grin

Stan, maybe you could scratch the itch with a little rimfire plinking & work your way into a small centerfire & on up to that big bad 45-70.

ease into it.

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yeah,I have a new .22 magnum bolt action that I bought right before I went into the hospital and only got to shoot it once in a cursory manner.I need to get out with that and perhaps the .243.
I also bought a really nice Ruger semi auto carbine in .44 magnum circa 1967 to match my Ruger SRH .44 mag pistol and only got to shoot it three or four shots.That one and the two 45/70's will have to wait another month or so till I feel like I can handle it.
I am definitely not going stir crazy.I always told the kids that an intelligent person is never bored.I have really cleaned out the reloading bench and gotten it squared away.All the guns have been cleaned really good.As I said before I have a bunch of stuff loaded and ready for eval.
Nah,no tin foil.The sweeties sing me to sleep.

Stan

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
OK Stan, good for you. The .243 is a sweet shooting machine. I bought and shot one for the first time this summer. I really like it. So much that it is all I have been shooting lately.

I can here the 45-70 singing to you now...

"twinkle twinkle little buck, now I see you're in da rut. I'm up above you in da tree, up so high you cannot see. twinkle twinkle lil' buck, now you're down, I need to gut..grin

...somebody stop me, I can't help myself.

Last edited by tzone; 08/26/08.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
good lord Tom is a song writer!!

Awesome!!!

grin

Something clever here.

Page 59 of 1,842 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (338reddog, 7mm_Loco, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 18 invisible), 1,606 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,290
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.