Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
OJF Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
We got drawn for the 1st rifle in Unit 54 and are planning on backpacking. Any suggestions that would get us away from crowds? Not looking for a trophy just a decent chance at a legal bull. 2nd time elk hunting 1st time backpacking need help.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by OJF; 08/16/08.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my Dad is hunting Archery that same area, I'll let you know what he comes across and how he does.
I would definitely recommend getting a topo map from the BLM, they are 4 bucks I think. the Gunnison ones are hard to come by, I tried locally a couple weeks ago.
Good luck!
shoot me a PM before you head out and I'll let you know what Dad ran into

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Head to the bottom of Beaver Creek.

Helluva climb in, and helluva climb out.

But the elk will be down there.

Hope you're in shape. wink

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Rick, you can actually hike in on more level ground by following the creek. But those side hills are a $#@%^&.

OJF, if you hike more than a mile or two you will be past the crowds. 1st season is limited draw so the crowds are much less.

Do you have a map yet? Look for Beaver Creek, Mill Creek, Swampy pass or Rainbow lake. All lead to the same area (the wilderness), where the elk are.

NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have you been on the Stairmaster by the way?

NRA Life Member
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Go up Ohio Creek rd, past Mill Run until you get to Swampy Pass Trail head. Take the trail to Swampy,but cut over to the south once you hit the widerness boundary along the trail that cuts across the ridge, just below the Castles. This trail goes up the canyon then to Storm Mt Pass. Just before the trail starts to climb you enter a big meadow. Cut left to the base of the meadow and cross the creek. Hunt from there to the east along those benches.
The only hunters you will see are from Tenderfoot Outfitters that have a camp at the Widerness boundary.

I have shot both bulls and cows there everytime I hunted it

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Of course you may find some anywhere on the path he just described...

There are some moose up there too so not just any big brown thing...

Last edited by supercrewd; 08/17/08.

NRA Life Member
O
OJF Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Thanks Guys
Just got topo maps, have been hiking 3 days a week with 60# pack. There are just two of us going so we want to be careful about our (hopeful) meat packing distance.

Colorado good luck to your dad any info will be greatly appreciated.

Rick Bin and Supercrewd we were looking at Mill Creek looked at Beaver Creek on the map, will look more on google earth.

Saddlesore we were excited about the Castle Creek area until we noticed that the road going in is by permit only. The route you mentioned is to far for Tennessee legs and backpacking we would like to keep camp 2 miles or less will hunt further daily.

Alot of the roads on the maps show gaits and going through private property, how do you determine what is accesible is it weather related or landowner.

Thanks again any additional information will be greatly appreciated, good luck to all this season.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The local boys will know the intricacies of the place better than I do. BUT, I can tell you that the route I know into Beaver Creek ain't an easy one! Two guys humping an elk out of there on their backs is gonna burn a couple days, easy.

We got caught at the bottom of Beaver one afternoon and had to build a fire and spend the night. The next morning, rather than climb back out the sides (we came to our senses), we followed the creek downstream for quite a ways and managed to find an easier way out. As I recall, we made it back to camp after 2 pm!

When you factor in the elevation, the steepness, and the depth of that hellhole, it's a lot to take on with a backpack. Take a GOOD look at Google Earth!

I'm thinking you'd be way ahead to rent some ponies, if you can!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This is basically where Rick hiked in. It goes a lot deeper than the picture shows.

[Linked Image]

Mill Creek access is thru private property but is public land, the trail is north and east of this photo. Withing a mile you will fall down that hill into Mill Creek. Swampy pass is open to hiking and hunting. No permit necessary. The hike is not too bad (except if it is wet). Rainbow lake is another take off spot that has parking and camping.

PM me for specifics, I might sneak out and shoot some photos for you. I will also be archery hunting in 2 weeks, I was planning unit 55 but I can do a few days in 54 too.

Tenderfoot Outfitters does a drop camp for what I consider reasonable, you may wish to look up their website. Good guys.

NRA Life Member
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Here is the Mill Creek entrance.

[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I was still not to the base of this tree when the auto timer snapped this photo. This is how deep the snow was for the elk this past year. I am over 6' tall.

[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Despite what the magazines say, there are big bulls on public land. These wintered on the edge of town this past winter...

[Linked Image]

There were at least 100 elk, 30-40 bulls but this fellow was the baddest of the bunch. Here is a pic of the white cow in the snowstorm...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by supercrewd; 08/17/08.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Super,
My friends wife says she has been seeing a white bull up by CB have you heard of an albino bull up there?

Where is that wascally Wapiti?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I agree with Supercrewd. I road in via the Mill Creek trail once.Quite a climb.It is tough country, but I found once I was back in aways,it flattened out some( a relative term though). IT definitely would not be my jumping off place.

From Swampy Pass trail head in,it is not as bad,more of a gradual climb.

You might look to the other side from the Soap Creek drainage.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I heard there was an albino bull with this group but never did see it. I, of course, would proudly display either hide on my wall. Have not heard of the CB bull, but there is a lot of bull in CB too.

NRA Life Member
O
OJF Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Everyone
Thanks for the information since we have never been in the area, your information will be invaluable the maps only go so far in providing a feel for the steepness the pictures are awesome. We have never killed a elk, and need all the help we can get. I will post again soon work has been crazy.

O
OJF Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Supercrewd
Did you receive the PM? I'm not sure it went through.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nope...

NRA Life Member
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OJF:

Saddlsore has given you good info regarding the benches between Castle Creek and Storm Ridge. There are a couple of other ways of getting to that area that are shorter than from the trailhead on Ohio Creek Road.

From the west; You can drive to the end of the Coal Creek Road and hike in from there, but there's not much room to park a pickup at the gate, so you have to figure out some kind of shuttle from the nearest parking area. That trailhead is only a couple of miles from Storm Ridge, as the crow flies, but the switchback trails make it longer, but still shorter than from the trilhead on Ohio Creek Road.

From the north; You can park in Horse Ranch Park or at the USFS Lost Lake Slough Campground. From either trailhead it's about a mile and a half, fairly gentle upward slope (for CO), trail to Beckwith Pass. Then it's another couple of miles or so south through the upland basin above Shelf Creek. That puts you right near the benches that Saddlesore mentioned.

BTW don't overlook the meadows in the basin above Shelf Creek.

Good luck

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.