Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
HOOKER Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned.
When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot."
_ Mark Twain
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep that sux.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Typical democrats......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do they keep score? Or, are they too worried about the little darlins' self esteem?

My nephew is 7 years old, is 53" and 107lbs, and he is not allowed to carry the football in his league!

Last edited by sactoller; 08/25/08.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reminds me of a stage production that I wrote in the late 1940s � "too professional to produce." Never have completely understood that "reason" or the reason for it.

confused

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
To excel is not a good thing in todays misbegotten society of mediocrity.

HOOKER Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
When your 9 yrs old you don't play because your good although you may be. You don't play for money or fame. You play for the fun of the game. I'll bet none of the kids give a hoot how good this kid is, they just want to play ball. It's the grown ups that ruin the game for the kids.
When I was a kid we lived in an Apartment complex for a while. Next to the apartments was a open field and we played baseball there every evening.We never kept score and we let anyone play. There was a dentist who had an office on the other side of the apartments and he would come and watch us play everyday. One day the apartment super told us we could not play there anymore because we were going to break out windows or damage peoples cars so we quit. The dentist stopped me one day and asked why we did not play anymore I told him and said Grownups can be stupid and will ruin the best things in life.
He said that watching kids play baseball without supervision was the purest thing in the world.
That dentist went behind his office and built us a real diamond with a back stop and all and he built a deck on the back of his office so he could sit and watch the game.And we had some great games. I also played ball all through school but I only played 2 seasons of high school ball and quit. It was not as fun when you were expected and pushed to win.

Pat

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned.
When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot."
_ Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What horseshitt.

When I was 10 we faced a kid who was 6'2" and flew flames, we beat him 2-1 in a Little League All Star game. In preparation for that game the coach brought in an older kid to throw heat at us all week, by the second practice we were getting some wood on it.

He threw very hard then and years later when he won the AAA pitcher of the year.

What a lesson to teach your kids, if your opponent it too good, give up declare him unbeatable and kick him out of the league.

Teach them all to be pansies and the Latins will totally rule the majors down the road.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We used to make our own "baseball" (an old golf ball wrapped with grocery twine and sometimes covered with electrician's tape) and play in the street. It was interesting to watch one of our hard-hit, loosely wrapped "baseballs" go flying as an oblate spheroid with loose ends of string or tape flapping!

None of us of course had even the first piece of a uniform, and very rarely did anyone have a glove or mitt � but I'm completely sure that we had more fun in an afternoon than Little Leaguers and their parents can imagine for a season.

The game was "one-eyed cat" (with just one base), and the "field" was as wide and as long as whatever street we played on. I was lucky � our stretch of our street was the town kids' favorite "ball field" (straight and reasonably level). A "sand lot" would've been Heavenly luxury.

Our "bats" were something else, too!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thats a bag of bullschitt, let him play and pitch, kid sounds like a screamer and the other parents are just too Pussified!

Here it comes again, Kim Du Toit on The Pussification of the Western Male!

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I still remember some neighbors down the road-big strapping boys older than me telling with pride stories of games they played against a school in northern Caddo Co. called Binger and a player there that could do it all....they didn't quit or go home crying to mama either...The player from Binger OK's name was Johnny Bench...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Showin' your age buddy, yer showin' yer age. grin

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you can't stand the heat.......

1Minute
Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
Ken,

Sounds like the way we used to play. Just a bunch of kids. Choose up sides and have fun. Some of our bats were nailed together where they split and gloves fixed with duct tape. We played football with no pads or helmets, rain or shine or snow. And it was FUN. Didn't play in school or organized ball. Parents and coaches took the fun away.
You guys should see my county. Big, and I mean big money in little league. People spending gobs of bucks and taking the game extremely serious. I'm about ten miles from Cooperstown and a lot of people around here say baseball has ruined the area. Unless you are a big fan, the Village of Cooperstown sucks. Used to be a great place at one time. Yup, take the fun out of a game and see what happens.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by okie
I still remember some neighbors down the road-big strapping boys older than me telling with pride stories of games they played against a school in northern Caddo Co. called Binger and a player there that could do it all....they didn't quit or go home crying to mama either...The player from Binger OK's name was Johnny Bench...

Ok, now this is gonna blow you away...the kid they brought in to pitch to us the week before our game against the flame thrower? Well he went on to play in the majors and became the first catcher for the Reds after Bench was moved to 3rd base. Go figure.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Celebration of mediocrity,

....." Don't dare set the bar that high"

pathetic, that,

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
From Les "Showin' your age buddy, yer showin' yer age."

I have to take that as a compliment as time goes on ...but they were much older than me!!! grin

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
...his mother called the police. For what? People need to loosen up. Its friggin' baseball for gods sake.

the poor kid.

I should turn my 3yo boy on them. He can throw a lot harder than a kid his size should be able to, but without all the accuracy grin'

You need a cup to play with him I tell ya.

Camp is where you make it.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
We used to make our own "baseball" (an old golf ball wrapped with grocery twine and sometimes covered with electrician's tape) and play in the street. It was interesting to watch one of our hard-hit, loosely wrapped "baseballs" go flying as an oblate spheroid with loose ends of string or tape flapping!

None of us of course had even the first piece of a uniform, and very rarely did anyone have a glove or mitt � but I'm completely sure that we had more fun in an afternoon than Little Leaguers and their parents can imagine for a season.

The game was "one-eyed cat" (with just one base), and the "field" was as wide and as long as whatever street we played on. I was lucky � our stretch of our street was the town kids' favorite "ball field" (straight and reasonably level). A "sand lot" would've been Heavenly luxury.

Our "bats" were something else, too!

(′�′blāt ′sfir′�id)
(mathematics) The surface or ellipsoid generated by rotating an ellipse about one of its axes so that the diameter of its equatorial circle exceeds the length of the axis of revolution. Also known as oblate ellipsoid.

Ken one of the things I enjoy about your writing is that I get to continually upgrade my vocabulary. I knew what you were talking about but had to look it up just to be sure!!

Joel

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 17,819 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,892
Posts18,538,580
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.