Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
ICDUCKS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
I just picked up a Ruger no.1 International in 7x57. Would there be a big advantage to having it turned into an AI?

Originally Posted By: '61'10
When I first saw the news I thought it said Obama.. Had to look three times before I realized it said Osama..

Either way I still got excited!
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I asked Al Biesen that question about 10 years ago. His answer...

Improve what!!!

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj

Improve what!!!

'Nuff said!!!!! You really can't improve the venerable 7X57......

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have never owned an Ackley Improved cartridge and dont foresee that I ever will,shot placement is the ticket not another couple hundred feet per second,the 7x57 is a top notch round anywhere you put it,Ivory Hunter Mr. Bell killed over a thousand elephants all with the 7x57 and FMJ bullets,I think its a lil tuff too improve upon a cartridge that is this good..........

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
IC: I hate to be a bucket of cold water,but me personally, I could never get very enthused about the whole AI thing. I say that knowing full well that a lot of very experienced guys on here love them.But really,if you want more velocity than a 7x57 gives, just rechamber to 280 Remington.Brass is common,and you don't have to fire form it.

Besides,what's wrong with the 7x57 the way it is,like Al Biesen indicated?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
BobinNH
Because then, the next question would be "Should I AI the 280?", LOL.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Royce: Why did I know that was coming.............? grin

And the answer IS................................7 Rem Mag laugh

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
No the answer then is 7mm RUM. lol maybe 7mm-.577 t-rex?

Last edited by Planemech; 08/18/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To do a correct AI in a rimless case the barrel should be set back so that the headspace is a crush fit on the regular 7-57 before its fireformed. What with that rifles unique stock and perhaps sight ramp its not practical. The barrel will no longer fit the stock.

On the other hand it might work to rechamber it to 280 R. or the Nosler 280 AI.

Here is my other comment about AI's.

The AI's I had done in rimmed, rimless and belted rounds turned out to be nothing but a hobby extension. Overall they complicate things and are a waste of time and money.

I had a Sears M51 (High Standard made 30-06 on the FN action) barrel set back to 30-06 AI. It works ok but now I don't even use the rifle and I would have to look for ammo. It must be here somewhere!

The 30-06 worked superb. Suppose the AI works too.

Now I can understand the want to have something new. I did it and you should be able to also if you want to.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
'Yall are overlooking the rael advantage gained by going with the Ackley Improved case.......more alphabet letters!!!

It's a well known fact that the more letters of the alphabet you can use to describle you weapon.....the more credibility you have as an "expert". It is so much "cooler" to say you are using a .30-06AI than to just say plain 'ole .30-06. Of course you have to shoot something like a TTSX bullet pushed by MRP powder. That combined with the AI label will make your every opinion about hunting or shooting unquestionable.....you become anm instant expert!!

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Improve what!!!
I will not be arguing with Mr. Biesen.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
the only AI that I have liked is a .220 Swift AI. It picks up approx. 100 fps and you don't have to trim so darn much. If I didn't have so much brass, I would build a .22-.243 of some sort anyway.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Redneck

Improve what!!!
I will not be arguing with Mr. Biesen.. laugh

AMEN!!! grin

I
ICDUCKS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Thanks for all of your input! Im not a expert at any of this but very interested. Im going to try to get into reloading but dont really know squat about it. My good friend Wildswalker is very knowledgable when it comes to this so im hopin he will get me started in the right direction.

When I saw this gun I knew I needed it.Im thinkin Leupold vxII 3-9 with turrets for it.I see everyone pretty much agrees there is no sense messin with the chambering.

Thanks again

Originally Posted By: '61'10
When I first saw the news I thought it said Obama.. Had to look three times before I realized it said Osama..

Either way I still got excited!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If you were to re-chamber to another cartridge, I would go with the 280 AI and shoot the 140g Barnes tripple shocks at 3200 fps.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ICDUCKS
Thanks for all of your input! Im not a expert at any of this but very interested. Im going to try to get into reloading but dont really know squat about it. My good friend Wildswalker is very knowledgable when it comes to this so im hopin he will get me started in the right direction.

When I saw this gun I knew I needed it.Im thinkin Leupold vxII 3-9 with turrets for it.I see everyone pretty much agrees there is no sense messin with the chambering.

Thanks again

I have found a reason to AI. At least in your case. You say that you don't know squat about reloading. By the time you learn what you need to know about loading an AI you will know why you shouldn't have AIed a 7x57.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I picked up a Husqvarna in 7X57 AI with a 3X9 Loopy for a song at my local friendly pawn shop a few years ago and love the gun and cartirdge. I get 120 FPS extra using 140 gr bullets on average, and the gun cuts a tight one hole. Would I have a good standard 7X57 re-chambered...probably not. But, I wouldn't part with this one, either.

I once owned a USRA Winchester XTR FW that had been re-chambered from 7X57 to 7X57 I.C.L Tortilla...same as an AI but with a 45 degree shoulder. It wanted velocity to shoot well and couldn't be tamed down any, so I got rid of it. The present owner hunts speed-goats with it and flames 130's out the end; he loves the rifle.

I once had a 35 Whelen re-chambered to AI, and the group sizes dropped by 1/2. I had my son's 257 Bob rechambered to AI, and it was a rousing success; this was before the 25-06 became a factory round. I do think that rounds like the 35 Whelen benefit from an AI, but others don't...the 30-06 being the prime example, IMO.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check your PM's.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
luv2safari...Biesen once told me that every 257 Roberts he rechambered to 25-06 (his version was on the 270 cases before it became a factory round) produced better accuracy. That will probably irritate the "Bob" lovers but he did a lot of them and that was what he found.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
RinB:I'm a Bob lover and I'm not upset grin The 25/06 is a somewhat easier cartridge to work up accurate loads for than the 257 Roberts,in general,across the board.That said, the 257 is generally pretty serviceable,and may take a bit more tweaking. I suspect this has something to do with the higher velocity generated by the 25/06,and the fact that both have 10 twist barrels.

Also,some Roberts rifles(M70's)in 257 Roberts had long throats and short magazine boxes,so bullets could not always be seated to optimum length in relation to the lands.Rechambering to 25/06 would "clean up" this problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (219DW, 44mc, 007FJ, 7887mm08, 35, 10 invisible), 1,382 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,869
Posts18,478,698
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.