Print Thread
Hop To
L
lingoch Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Been a few years since boot camp. Anyone have a good diagram or do I have to buy a book?

[Linked Image]
GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Here's a good webpage for the 1907 sling on an AR-15.

http://ray-vin.com/tech/slinghelp/slinghelp.htm

I've never shot an M1, but I'm assuming it will be good enough.

-- Scott

L
lingoch Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L

Thanks for the info. I tried that and it comes out backwards on my M1. I don't know maybe I'm dislecsic?

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What do you want it rigged to do? There are a number of different ways.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
lingoch Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L

As a service rifle. It will stay tight for off hand and on left arm for prone.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
That link is pretty much how I do it, though I don't double the keepers, but I don't use cheap slings like turners, I use really stout Tamm slings.

Sometimes its getting that half roll out before you put it on the arm to snugg it, if that makes sense, as the part that confuses you.

If not, google nationalmatch.us and log on, and ask, by this time there is probably a youtube video on how to do it.

BTW we usually ended up drilling custom holes for the frog for standing and remaining snug.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't think it's dyslexia. The one on the AR looks backward atleast to me. Take a look at this site it shows how to attach and use the sling. http://www.turnersling.com/FAQ.htm hope this helps. Just my .20$

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I saw this video link under the gunwriters forum. I think you will find it interesting. http://www.archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_the_M1_Rifle

L
lingoch Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thank you for the info. I came across a 1917 Enfield that had a sling on it. Nothing like having the real thing to get it right. Whew...now I know where the tail goes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guys, the sling on that M16 maybe correct for it, BUT it is not correct for a M1 or a M1A and would not be correct if placed on a bolt action rifle, hunting or competition..................

It seems that it needs to be flipped over and then some.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Been out of pocket a bit, I reverse my tail section to make it all work right, but still have not had time to dig out and photograph how I have ours set up....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The method of rigging up the sling shown on the Ray-Vin site is the "USMC" method which differs from they way many learned in the military in a couple of ways;
1) As some have noted, it's "backwards" with the frogs (hooks) facing inwards toward the rifle.

2) Both the keepers are below the hook. The old style was done with one keeper below and one above the hooks.

If you are using the sling for competition, the USMC method tends to be quicker to sling-up into and stays more secure.

If you are using the sling for other purposes such as hunting, it may or may not be the best choice all around as another had noted.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Aloha...Nice to see you posting.
Hope the family is well!
Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lingoch
Been a few years since boot camp. Anyone have a good diagram or do I have to buy a book?

Here's a link that will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the M-1:

M-1 Rifle Training Film

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two postings of the same picture:

Here:
http://www.fulton-armory.com/CPTs/m1-1.gif

or here:
http://www.scott-duff.com/m1-1.gif

Bruce

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In case there's need for another "guide" on how to rig either a leather or web sling for Service Rifle Competition;
Here's one from the Illinois State Team folk who are not only outstanding shooters...but outstanding individuals as well.
Right Click on link and "save as" for a PDF download;
http://www.illinoishighpower.org/general_highpower_info/ISRA%20SR%20Sling.pdf

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go to Jim Owens' site and look at how he rigs a sling in what he calls the "no pulse" method. It is what I use and it does help to take the pulse beat out of the equation.

www.jarheadtop.com Look under "Products".

It also goes on and off the front swivel easier so prep time is not wasted with the sling.

I use a canvas sling for awfulhand. It weighs less than the leather or all weather sling and has less effect on the shot.

Fast Ed

Define your manhood not by success, but by significance.
NRA Benefactor
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
nice avatar, Ed wink

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just changed it to a picture of my son from a couple of years ago on our first successful hunt together.

Not that I don't like yours, Steve NO, but I thought it may be time for some originality.

Fast Ed

Define your manhood not by success, but by significance.
NRA Benefactor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (06hunter59, 1Longbow, 22kHornet, 2500HD, 160user, 1badf350, 32 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,783
Posts18,536,223
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.