Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I am going to buy either the 452 or 453. Is the single set trigger on the 453 worth the extra $100 - $130. I have no experience with a single set trigger but it seems interesting. Thanks for the input.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not To Me,And I've owned Several. The Best way I've found is the 452 with a Brooks Kit{$10.00}.

D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I tried the Brooks kit and it didn't do the trick for me. I just had my gunsmith polish the contact points and I got as good a trigger as a man could want. Still, I shoot the 452 of which I have 3 and two are left handed. If the LH version offered the single set I would buy one AFTER I got a couple of free "snaps" at my gun dealer and it could be beat the triggers I have now.

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I'll take the 452.................547.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I just bought a 453...

You can "snap" the set trigger as much as you like by merely pushing the regular trigger FORWARD to "set" the set-trigger, but leaving the bolt closed so that you don't "load" the firing pin spring thus causing a normal "firing" of the trigger system.

Since setting the set trigger doesn't "load" the firing pin spring, this makes "dry firing" a 453 using the set-trigger a non-dangerous (won't break or damage the firing pin) "snap" (Opppppsss. 'xcuse the pun, pleeze). smile

I haven't had time to do any shooting with the 453 yet... but there's quite a "difference" in the amount of "pull" required to fire the rifle with the "regular" trigger vs. the set trigger.

I asked a world-class rifle champion which model to buy... the 452 or the 453. Without hesitation, he said, "The 453 is the ticket!".

'Nuff said... I bought the 453. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The set trigger is good if you can't get a good standard trigger on a 452. The problem with a set trigger is the increase in lock time. If you are shooting from a rest, that may not matter.
As for me, my 452 has a terrific trigger and I will stick with that.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have noticed the CZ triggers need break in time (shots down range) to get some personality. The 452 Style model I have is the most accurate .22 shooting plain ammo.

Never tried the brooks kit.

smile

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dropped a RifleBasix trigger into my 452 and never looked back. The Brooks kit works, but you can't adjust it after installation.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a 453. I discovered early on that I shoot it better off-hand and from rested hunting positions by not using the "set" function on the trigger. From a bench I do better using the set function. When set, the trigger breaks very cleanly at around 8 oz, not set it breaks clean at around 1.5 lbs. I would have too measure the pull again to get the exact wieghts. Anyway when the trigger is set I have to reposition my grip to reach the trigger. I guess that small amount of difference is why I shoot it better by not using the set. Never did take time to get used to it as I feel the trigger is to light for hunting in cold weather using the set feature. I didn't have to buy any kits or springs to get a very nice trigger pull.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As a person who has used a double set trigger in 3 and 4 position match shooting, I suspect much of your problem with using the set trigger on your 453 unsupported is the increase in locktime the set trigger causes. The increased locktime requires increased follow-through, which is tough to do unsupported.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The trigger on my 452 was fine for plinking and squirrels and such but I happen to shoot 50yd target vs. some friends from time to time. This is where the trigger really disappointed. Got my smith to do some filing/stoning/polishing and replaced the spring, now it's a fantastic trigger. Not a pure target trigger as far as pull weight goes (1lb14oz./no creep) but it's not a dedicated target setup either.

Nail

Last edited by Nail; 08/18/08.

What about guns?When do we get guns?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was checking out a CZ 17HM2 with a bull barrel today, not
a bad looking rifle, and cheaper than a Ruger 77/17. Do any
of you guys have experience with this model? Didnt get the
model number, I might go back tomorrow.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
FWIW: My 452 trigger was awesome out of the box. BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I only have a 452, with the non fancy trigger.. it was good enough out of the box...I've ran about 5,000 rounds thru it since the beginning of June...

using it at the range for shooting stuff between 50 to 100 yds, it sure more than does the job intended.. very accurate and the trigger is plenty good...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
A traditional set trigger, like comes in an Austrian Mannlicher, has the set function cocking a small hammer. Think of it like a hammer in a revolver. This has much less sear pressure on it compared to holding the firing pin allowing a very light pull. The hammer then falls and trips the main sear releasing the firing pin. One hammer fall and one firing pin fall hence double the lock time. Benchrest guys cringe about the vibrations the hammer sends through the action when it falls. Works ok on a hunting rifle when you have a steady hold. The CZ operated diferently. Pushing the trigger forward lightly sets it. An easy pull causes the trigger and your finger to snap rearward with momentum knocking off the main sear. I find it similar to a rifle having a lot of overtravel, and difficult to shoot unless the the rifle is rested well. Took the set function out of mine and did a trigger job to bring the pull down to 2 3/4 pounds. I'd opt for the 452 and spend the extra money on a trigger job.
dan

W
W
I have previously owned a CZ453 American in 17M2. I currently own a CZ452 Varmint in 22lr. The set trigger on my 453 was fantastic! The non-set trigger also had a nice crisp let-off with no noticeable over travel.
My CZ452 trigger had tons of creep and was quite heavy when I bought it. I have installed a brooks type kit in it and clipped some coils from the trigger spring and now have a nice crisp trigger pull with no creep, but it does have over travel. I have also installed a pillar in the rear action screw.
I would not trade my CZ452 now that I have done all the work that I have on it, but if I were starting from scratch, I would spend the $100 plus for the CZ453. Primarily for the set trigger and the elimination of over-travel on the non-set trigger.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The popcan shim trick works wonders on the 452. Removed ALL creep. Took 15 minutes and cost nothing.
Trigger breaks at about 2 1/2lbs. .5-1"@ 100 yards is routine.

Found the link at rimfirecentral.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Sam,

I used the Brooks kit on mine! Not quite sure were the trigger pull is now, other than it is lighter and much improved in feel. My 452 also goes under an inch at 100 yards with surprising regularity.

pell123
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
452 for me. The extra money isn't woth it for me. But, YMMV.
I did my own trigger job on my 452 and it is fine for me. I just cut my own spring and polished mating trigger parts.
Although the single set trigger works well for some people, I'm not a big fan of them. I prefer an EXCELLENT break on a regular trigger. I have a Canjar single set trigger on a 22-250, and I prefer using the trigger in the unset mode...

And, I had two CZ 527's with the CZ single set triggers on them, so I have some experience with them. I sold one of the rifles, but have the second one.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I got the 453 and love the single set tirgger. For me it was definitely worth the extra $.

[Linked Image]

This rifle is every bit as accurate at the Anschutz 1416D I used to have.
White circles are 1/2". All are 5 shot groups.
[Linked Image]

firstshot
---------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1936M71, 219 Wasp, 257 roberts, 219DW, 2500HD, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.