Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sassy
In the case of snakes, the triple S theory works in Michigan.

Shoot, shovel, shut up!

You know Sassy, the more I see of you here, the more I'm becoming impressed.

Where did you hear about the triple S theory?

Good one................ *laughin'*

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We live on a farm and used to raise sheep. Neighbor explained the theory to me about dogs running sheep. Never had a dog problem after that!

Sassy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 13579

scroll.....i answered in bold
Rattler, the list I saw did group some different snakes togather.

The top of the list was the Inland, or Small Scaled Tiapan, in Australia. In order of toxicity, Australia had about the top seven, including the Brown Snake, Tiger Snake, another type of Tiapan, and some others. One of the Sea Snakes was included in this list of of snakes with highly toxic venom.

As for as your statement that a Cobra kills by quantity, not quality, I am not in a position to argue with you on that. It would stand to reason that a large quantity of a mild venom would kill you just as dead as a small quantity very toxic venom.

On the list I mentioned, and I found it on the internet, I can't remember where, some snakes were in groups with others, based on the toxicity of their venom. The Mohave and Coral snake and some species of Cobra, the King Cobra I think, but I don't remember for sure, came in at about tenth place. What I mean is, these three snakes, and there might have been others, had venom, on a drop for drop basis, of about the same toxicity level.

The study was not based on quantity, but quality. I don't remember the exact method the study was made, but it had to do with the smallest amount of venom tested to kill 50 percent of the labatory mice the venom was injected in.

yeah thats LD50 ratings that is what i am talking about....measuring drop for drop toxicity

The Inland, or small scale Tiapan was first by far, but one interesting statement was that there had not been any reported deaths from this snake, although there were deaths from the Tiger snake and others that tested less toxic than the Tiapan.

There was some question that perhaps venom acted differently in people than it did on lab mice. What I mean is, while a paticular venom might be very deadly to a mouse, it would not be as deadly, or it could be more deadly, to a human as a paticular venom from another snake, so the toxicity rating might be different from mice as it is for humans.

could be......Sidney funnel web spiders have a venom that for some odd reason is highly toxic to primates(including humans) though no primates lived on the continent till humans arrived there several thousand years ago....however if your dog gets bit by one it suffers no ill effects......also these studies are done on lab mice.....if you took field mice from these snakes various home habitats i think you would find the lethality would drop dramatically.....lab mice just offer a ruler in which to compare one snakes venom to another objectivly

In the area where I live, Georgia, the Timber Rattler is the most common, although rarely seen, and further south, the Eastern Diamond back and a sub-species of the Timber Rattler, the Cane Break rattlers are found. Although the venom of the Eastern Diamondback is rated more toxic than either the Timber rattler or Cane Break, some studies show that there is a higher percentage of deaths from the latter two than from the Eastern Diamond Back.

From first hand accounts I have read, the Western Diamond back venom must be very toxic, going by all the tissue damage the bite causes.

tissue damage and lethality can be two very different things.....alot of the venom components that cause massive tissue damage in themselves arent very lethal......secondary infection is what kills, not the venom itself

It surprised me than the finger Ross Allen showed me, and stated that this was the worst bite he had experienced, was from a Cotton Mouth bite, because he had been bitten by snakes with much more toxic venom than the Cotton Mouth.

The Cotton Mouth is another one we run into occasionally in this area, and quite often further south.

Do you have any training in the study of venomous snakes? I don't have any training, medical or otherwise but I have an interest in learning about them. I read everything I can find about venomous snakes and venomous snake bites.

no proper training........been reading everything i can find on them for the last 20 years.....have kept various rear fanged species in the past and the only thing keeping me from keeping me from keeping front fangeds is the fact ive got kids in the house....state law be damned some may fall in my lap when the kids are gone wink .....thanks to the internet i have been fortunate to be able to converse with some of the top venom researchers in the world......if you want to take a serious look at LD50 ratings of various snakes in various situations(intramuscular, intravenious, subQ and intraperitoneal injections) here is as close as you can find to a bible.....Dr. Fry has probably done more work than anyone currently in the field and has even taken a serious look at lots of the various rear-fanged snakes that almost no real data had been around till a few years ago when he did the studies.......
http://www.venomdoc.com/LD50/LD50men.html

Last edited by rattler; 09/01/08.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sassy
We live on a farm and used to raise sheep. Neighbor explained the theory to me about dogs running sheep. Never had a dog problem after that!

Yeah, I hear that the SSS theory has been put to good use on wolves.

You have to be careful where you "shovel" em' though, because some of them have chips embedded in them and can be tracked right to the burial sight by the Fish and Wildlife people.

A couple of loggers shot a mountain lion once in CT (where the F&G say they don't exist) and threw it in a nearby lake.

A couple of days later, a game warden showed up where they were working and started asking some questions.

He couldn't be specific about what he was looking for, because the F&G Dept. did not want the public to know that they were trying to re-introduce lions in the area to help control the deer herd.

His telemetry data was telling him that the dead cougar was in the area, but without the help of the loggers, he never found it.

I guess the moral of this story is that you can still employ the SSS theory, but because of the technology that's out there today, you just gotta be a little more careful on how you do it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good thought. I'll think about that the next time I shoot a snake. But I'm sure not checking it for a chip. ROFL

Don't have sheep anymore so have to worry about the dogs.

Sassy

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

I never realized that the bite of a rattler produced that kind of skin degradation.

I don't believe it used to unless there was mitigating circumstances. Now it sounds like something is going on that is producing more toxic reactions.

From the article:
Scientists and toxicologists can take guesses at what�s behind the spike in extreme symptoms, but no one yet knows what�s going on. Some say it could be a change in snake venom, a change in the snakes themselves, or something altogether different.

��This is a brand new phenomenon,�� said Jeffrey Brent, clinical professor of medicine at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. ��It should spur a considerable amount of research in the area.��

Brent said he hadn�t seen the extreme symptoms in patients until last year, when there were five. ��They came pretty darn close to dying,�� he said. ��They were extremely, extremely sick.��

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd guess this "phenomenon" is caused by the deterioration of the human immune system rather than a change in the animal injecting the venom.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD

I never realized that the bite of a rattler produced that kind of skin degradation.

I don't believe it used to unless there was mitigating circumstances. Now it sounds like something is going on that is producing more toxic reactions.

From the article:
Scientists and toxicologists can take guesses at what�s behind the spike in extreme symptoms, but no one yet knows what�s going on. Some say it could be a change in snake venom, a change in the snakes themselves, or something altogether different.

��This is a brand new phenomenon,�� said Jeffrey Brent, clinical professor of medicine at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. ��It should spur a considerable amount of research in the area.��

Brent said he hadn�t seen the extreme symptoms in patients until last year, when there were five. ��They came pretty darn close to dying,�� he said. ��They were extremely, extremely sick.��

take it you havent actually looked at many snake bites......that kind of degradation is pretty common in most viper bites......especially if it was a bad bite or yah waited to long to get help.....snake venom dissolves tissue some species worse than others, less so with the cobra type species as most prey heavily on snakes and lizards, species that prey heavily on mammals tend to be heavy on the tissue dissolver venoms, those that prey on birds, snakes, fish and the like rely heavily on the neurotoxins that stop the heart and lungs quick, though this is very rough generalities, most snakes carry a cocktail of 3 or more kinds in various proportions.....hell the venom of some can dissolve bone if left unattended for a couple days.....

about the only "harmless" front fanged venomous snake in the US would be to take a bite from a copperhead in the hand.....tissue damage tends to be localized and antivenin is almost never needed to save your life though they do use it to slow tissue damage......though if yah took a hit from a big one to the forearm and the venom got injected deep in the muscle or god forbid directly into a vein or artery you will be much worse off....with the larger rattlers a bite to the hand can cause issues for the whole arm and even shoulder area even if you get to help quick the venom is designed to kill and dissolve tissue quick....

who ever thinks this is a "new symptom" needs to pick up a book on venomous snakes form the 60's and look at the pics.....the bites would look pretty much the same as now.....the "new" issues are much more likely to be due to ppls immune systems being much weaker than in the past in our modern western nation or the simple fact snake bite may be on the rise in certain areas due to new developments being put into traditional snake habitats and the docs in these areas are inexperienced with dealing with snake bites.....treating snake bites well is a very specialized procedure, as much art as science and few doctors get enough practice to be damn good at it.....its much more complicated than just pumping a bite victim full of antivenin.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
I'd guess this "phenomenon" is caused by the deterioration of the human immune system rather than a change in the animal injecting the venom.
I'd say that is a good guess and maybe both going on for whatever reason.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
^This stupid little bastard just pushed his luck here,...right at sundown ( how fitting)

Gracey has panned out to be the perfect home place canine unit.
Heelers are pretty infamous for just diving in and "Goin' for it"

.............she hangs back and barks,.....with a rather alarming note.

Last one she rousted it was late,...and dark,.....I thought it would be coyotes,....Nope,....a fair sized Diamondback,.....

Not wanting to leave her alone, while I went and exchanged the 12 Ga. #4 for the pistola pictured, ....I just used the big gun,,,,,combed and scrubbed snake parts outta' hair, beard and Mustache for the following 2 days

This li'l creep was copping major "I'll bite you" attitudes, Gracey hung back and listened to my advisory,.......I explained that I'd Handle it,.....she sat, cocked her head, and watched....

Wierd deal,....given that we live in wierd times,.....I had to shoot this damn thing about 5-6 times ( one usually does the trick).........it's cooling it's jets, in the freezer, as I type.

we may be in the age of the snake,......( 2 leggeds) ?

anyone for a snakecickle

[Linked Image]

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Strange,......it kept moving, and striking,...far more than what one would expect,....usual like.

dunno' if that relates to this thread title, or not.....
Damned aggressive snake,....even in dying.

[Linked Image]

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
^This stupid little bastard just pushed his luck here,...right at sundown ( how fitting)

Gracey has panned out to be the perfect home place canine unit.
Heelers are pretty infamous for just diving in and "Goin' for it"

.............she hangs back and barks,.....with a rather alarming note.

Last one she rousted it was late,...and dark,.....I thought it would be coyotes,....Nope,....a fair sized Diamondback,.....

Not wanting to leave her alone, while I went and exchanged the 12 Ga. #4 for the pistola pictured, ....I just used the big gun,,,,,combed and scrubbed snake parts outta' hair, beard and Mustache for the following 2 days

This li'l creep was copping major "I'll bite you" attitudes, Gracey hung back and listened to my advisory,.......I explained that I'd Handle it,.....she sat, cocked her head, and watched....

Wierd deal,....given that we live in wierd times,.....I had to shoot this damn thing about 5-6 times ( one usually does the trick).........it's cooling it's jets, in the freezer, as I type.

we may be in the age of the snake,......( 2 leggeds) ?

anyone for a snakecickle

[Linked Image]

Honey, why on earth did you put it in the freezer???? Did you warn the wife it was in there??????????? (Im assuming your married...forgive me if Im wrong.) Finding a snake in my freezer would ellicit a scream from me that would shake the foundation of the house!!

"Courage is Fear holding on a minute longer."
-Gen. Patton
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No Ma'm, ( married?)....haven't been for a while,...

.......if I'm going to have this critter for breakfast, a coupla' hours of sub-zero will help , in terms of hassle free hide removwal.

May I send you this somewhat damaged hide,....busy right now,.......HMmmm, mebbe just leave it in the freezer....?

Rattlesnake sauteed in garlic butter,....eggs and good toast
....breakfast of champions.

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
reptiles nervous system is pretty primitive.......quite often the rest of the body aint aware its dead yet and the nerons keep firing.....not to mention the brain on one is a pretty small target.....rest of the head can be mangled up the brain may still be mostly fine....keep your hands away from the head end of a venomous snake, dead or not.....there can stil be venom in or on the fangs and if yah get stuck with one, while it aint as bad as a full on bit from a live one, there is a good chance yah aint going to enjoy the experiance...would guess the snake is between 2 and 5 years depending on how much it has gotten to eat in its life....more food=more growth.....hell i wouldnt mind the hide........

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,454
Posts18,471,089
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.