Campfire Member
A
Today we begin to collect the recipes.

remember to tell us if its an/a
appetizer
entree
side
etc.....

include prep times, and cooking times and temps. also note whe best way to cook ie: iron frying pan, outdoor grill

if you got the recipe from a package such as lipton give them credit but make sure you include yourself as the submitter

This should be fun It will take some time but read all the recipes before submitting because if there is only one ingredient different we can just make a note after the first recipe and include the change only.

Thank you to everyone that will make this project a piece of campfire history.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I cannot claim this to be mine as I got it from a freind here in WY

Try this it will work for deer, elk moose, caribou or whatever:

HUNTER�S STEW
1 moose tenderloin, cubed
3 tbs vegetable oil
2 med onions, coarsely chopped
3 celery stalks, sliced
2 tsp basil leaves
2 tsp rosemary
2 tsp oregano
1/2 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 bag frozen peas
3 carrots, sliced
3 sm red potatoes, cubed
1 pkg mushrooms, whole
4 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp nutmeg
salt and pepper, to taste
Heat oil in Dutch oven over high fire on low hook. Mix pepper with flour in plastic bag. Add moose cubes and
shake until coated with flour. Test oil by sprinkling small amount of flour into oven - oil is ready when flour sizzles.
Cook meat in oil until browned, add onion, celery and spices. Stir 4 tablespoons of flour into chicken broth, add to
oven. Add salt, vegetables, lemon juice and nutmeg to meat mixture and cover. Slow simmer for 2 hours over low
heat. Serves 10 to 12

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bambi Wellington ala Pugs

Entree

Nice venison shoulder roast (three or four pounds)
Fresh spinach leaves
Grated Mozzarella
Mushrooms
Frozen Puff Pastry sheets (1 package I've had good luck with the Pepperidge farms brand)
Eggs for wash

Brown the shoulder roast and put in the slow cooker. Cook long enough you can debone and shred the venison

When done, lay out the puff pastry and put in the venison, layer with sliced mushrooms, cheese and spinach leafs. Don't overfill!

Take second sheet and put on top and pinch closed. Use Egg wash on top.

Bake according the puff pastry directions, usually 350 for 30 minutes or so, until it's brown and crusty.

Slice and serve. I often make a brown gravy with slow cooker leavings and some more sliced mushrooms to go with it.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chicken Fried Venison

Venison backstraps or flat hind quarter roast.
Texas Pete Wing Sauce
Flour
Breadcrumbs
Old Bay Seasoning
Chili Powder
Canola Oil for frying

Slice venison in 1/4 to 1/8 inch slices. You might need to get it partially frozen but the thinner the better.

Soak the venison in wing sauce, and make sure it's nice and wet.

Dredge the venison in a mix of a cup of flour to a half cup of bread crumbs and about a teaspoon of Old Bay and a teaspoon of chili powder. Every seasoning listed has salt in it, but feel free to add more if you like.

Drop breaded venison into about an inch of good hot oil. Bubbles should rise immediately and you should hear the sizzle. If the oil's not hot, it will soak in and get things greasy.

I fry venison nice and crispy and eat it just the way it is. You can serve it all kinds of other ways if you like.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Side Dish

Fried Carrots, Onions, and Zucchini.

2 Cups chopped carrots about 4 big carrots
2 Cups chopped zucchini about 2 small (2" diameter - by 8" or so).
1 Cup diced onion.
Olive oil for frying

Slice your carrots at a bias into quarter inch slices.
Split your zucchini in half and slice into quarter inch slices'
Slice your onion in half and then into quarter inch slices.

Put two tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet and bring it up to medium heat. Start the carrots and wait for them to begin to brown. Add the zucchini and onion and brown both as well. Salt and pepper and serve.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dessert

Creme Brul 8

Mix 6 Egg Yolks with 1/2 cup sugar

Bring 2 cups of Heavy Cream to a simmer over a dutch (double) boiler and back off the heat a few degrees.

Add Heavy Cream to yolk/sugar mixture one tablespoon at a time for the first cup stirring briskly and once the yolks are tempered add the rest of the cream stirring well.

Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and mix well.

Pour mixture into 6-8 ramekins

Place ramekins in a large cake pan and use the very hot water from the dutch boiler to make a water bath up 1/2 the height of the ramekins.

Bake at 275 for 1 hour to 75 minutes or until the tops jiggle like firm jello when the water bath is jarred.

Allow ramekins to remain in the water bath for 30 minutes.

Fridge till cold throughout.

Use a heavy tissue to remove any condensation.

Sprinkle with raw or white sugar.

Bake under broiler or use torch to caramalize the sugar.

Rechill or serve immediately.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I have posted a few recipes. Feel free to use any of them if they might be suitable.

Sam......

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hawkeye's My Sicilian Grandma's Stuffed Artichokes: (antipasto)

When I was a kid in the 1960s and '70s, I looked forward to holidays mainly because my Sicilian grandma would bring pots full of her stuffed artichokes. So delicious!

Prep Time: A half hour

Cook Time: Two and a half hours

Number Served: Four

Ingredients: Four medium artichokes, a lemon quarter, five large cloves of peeled garlic (four of them divided into about ten or twenty smaller pieces, reserving the fifth), one cup of finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese, one cup of 4C seasoned breadcrumbs, a quarter cup of chopped fresh Italian parsley, quarter cup extra virgin olive oil, about a teaspoon of salt.

Preparation: In a large, low, flat bottomed, straight walled, covered pot (big enough for four artichokes), add enough water to come up about two inches (If you cannot fit all four in one pot, use two pots). Add just enough salt so you can taste the salt in the water after it's dissolved (about a teaspoon full, but could take more if it's a very large pot). Get the water hot, then turn it down to simmer till you're ready to put the stuffed artichokes in.

Cut the top 15% off of the artichokes, thereby removing most of the thorns (I find a bread knife works well for this). Cut the stems off neatly and reserve, leaving the bottom of the artichokes flat so they can sit steady on the bottom of the pot. Take kitchen sheers and cut off all of the remaining leaf tips taking about an inch only. Wash under a forceful stream of water, using your fingers to open the leaves up a bit and run the water in there, making sure also to wash the outside. Shake out the water. Turn them upside down on a few paper towels to dry while you proceed. Peel the woody/stringy matter off the stems with a paring knife, leaving only the core. Wash and set aside.

Now prepare your garlic as stated above, but reserve one clove uncut. Stuff the pieces into the leaves starting from the outer leaves and working towards the center, making an even distribution, and pushing them all the way down. Grate the cheese and mix it with the bread crumbs and chopped Italian parsley (make sure you thoroughly dry the parsley after washing it and before chopping it). Blend well.

Using a table spoon, take spoons full of the mixture and, using the tip of the spoon to pull the leaves away slightly, pour it into the leaves, working your way around and towards the center in a circle. Pour some on top and spread the artichoke open a bit to allow it to get down in there. Put a little more on top again so you can't see the leaf tops.

Now place them in the water flat bottom down. The water should not rise to more than two inches or so on the sides of the artichokes (you don't want any of the stuffing to float out). Squeeze lemon wedges (first remove all seeds) over the tops of the artichokes and into the water. Now drizzle the olive oil on the tops and a little into the water. Now take the reserved uncut garlic clove and cut it into four parts. Add it into the water between the artichokes. Cut the stems into quarters lengthwise and submerge the pieces into to the water between the artichokes. Bring to a boil, and then quickly to a simmer. Cover tightly and adjust the heat so it's just barely bubbling, i.e., a low simmer.

Remember, with a cover, it will boil at a much lower setting, so watch it for a while to be sure it's only simmering. Once simmer is stable, set timer for two and a half hours, but check about once every half hour or so to make sure it's not rapidly boiling, and to see if the water level has dropped significantly, in which case you need to add a little more. If the lid is tight, though, this should not be a problem.

To Eat: It's an art in itself. Plate them. Open them up a little to cool. Toss on the stem quarters (delicious too). Sprinkle a little more salt on, if necessary. Take each leaf, along with a little stuffing, and use your upper or lower teeth to scrape the soft flesh of the leaves off into your mouth. Eventually, you will reach the leaves near the center which can be eaten whole (except don't eat the thorny tips).

When you get to the "choke," stop eating. Take a tea spoon (here comes the best part) and remove all the choke (discarding it), leaving the "heart" of the artichoke. This is the most delicious part. Salt it to taste. I always reserve a litte of the stuffing to eat with the heart. Enjoy.

PS Don't be concerned about the garlic. Cooked that long, it has no harsh taste to it. Just delicious.

PPS Don't throw away the broth. It's delicious too. If it's too salty, water it down. Now add a can of condensed Campbell's chicken broth to it, toss in some orzo and simmer till it's done (about twenty minutes). Put it in bowls and sprinkle on some grated Parmigiano Reggiano. We'd always enjoyed this on holidays too.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Attached Images
10877-StuffedArtichoke.JPG (68.5 KB, 50 downloads)
10878-Orzo.jpg (41.57 KB, 46 downloads)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any of the recipes I have posted in the forum may be used if you wish. IIR I posted honey BBQ grouse and venison marinade as well as others in the past. If you can't locate those and need me to repost them please just shoot me a pm.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Stetson
Any of the recipes I have posted in the forum may be used if you wish. IIR I posted honey BBQ grouse and venison marinade as well as others in the past. If you can't locate those and need me to repost them please just shoot me a pm.
Is this just for wild game recipes? If so, my mistake.

Ok, I'll offer my wild boar scallopini with (wild) porcini mushrooms recipe.

Hawkeye's Wild Boar Cutlets (Cinghiale Scallopini) with Porcini Mushrooms: (Main Course)

This falls roughly into the category of Northern Italian cuisine. Wild boar hunting and gastronomy is big there. This is my personal take on it that I developed about ten years ago.

Ingredients: One small package dried porcini mushrooms, a quarter cup of chopped Italian parsley, two pounds of shoulder steaks or other suitable boar cuts that you don't wish to prepare by another method (Use remaining scraps and bones, after cutting out medallions, for making stock in advance), quarter to a half stick butter, flour, two eggs, milk, salt, pepper, quarter pound thin-sliced imported Swiss cheese, quarter pound thin-sliced imported Prosciutto, half cup of dry Italian Vermouth, half cup wild boar stock (prepared in advance using the scraps and bones) or canned chicken broth.

Prep Time: One hour (but start soaking mushrooms the night prior)

Cook Time: One hour

Number Served: Four

Method: Over night in the fridge, soak dried porcini in a cup of hot water. In the morning, reserve the liquid, but transfer the mushrooms to a plate lined with paper towels to dry them. At cooking time, they should still be fully hydrated, just not wet to the touch. Cut boar steak into roughly silver dollar sized medallions (don't worry so much about the shape), keeping them as lean as feasible. Hammer them good and flat (they will triple or more in diameter). Scramble two eggs with about a tablespoon full of milk and about a quarter teaspoon of salt and pepper. Dredge the scallopini in flour and then dip them in the eggs. Brown on both sides in some butter (just the amount you need), on medium heat and transfer them to a large casserole dish or other suitable container. Lay on top of each scallopino one thin slice of Prosciutto (fold in half if necessary to conform to the size) and one or two thin slices of Swiss cheese (cut or folded roughly to the right size). Place in oven pre-heated to 350 degrees till cheese melts. Remove and cover.

Note: You can, if you prefer, finely chop or mince the Prosciutto, sprinkle it on top of the scallopini, then cover with the Swiss cheese slices for melting.

Meanwhile, prepare the gravy. Add about half the remaining butter to the skillet. Increase heat and saute the mushrooms till browned. Remove mushrooms (set aside covered), leaving butter in skillet. Add what's left of the butter till fully melted. With heat on medium, gradually add flour and mix it around till you have about a tablespoon full of loose paste (If not, add more flour and/or butter till you do). This is called a "rue." Cook and stir the paste till it turns a medium brown. Now gradually add a mixture of the stock, the vermouth, and a half cup of the liquid in which you soaked the mushrooms, while stirring. Stir and cook on medium till it thickens. If not thick enough, you can make a little more rue on the side to stir into it. If too thick, add a little more of the reserved mushroom soaking liquid. When correct, add back the mushrooms, stir, and reheat in the gravy. Salt to taste. Plate the wild boar scallopini and sauce them with the porcini gravy. Sprinkle some chopped raw Italian parsley on top. Serve.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is this just for wild game recipes? My mistake.

Yeah, lay out the ground rules.

If this is for game only, feel free to add some quail or venison to my Creme Brul 8.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also have posted many recipies from breads to butts. Feel free to use any that I have posted.
Regards,
Pete

Handgun Hunter no more. STILL LOVE THOSE .41's
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by prostrate8
Is this just for wild game recipes? My mistake.

Yeah, lay out the ground rules.

If this is for game only, feel free to add some quail or venison to my Creme Brul 8.
Yeah, and for my stuffed artichokes, only use wild artichokes that you harvested with a .30-06. laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Entree

Sassy's Country Rabbit

1 large rabbit or 2 small rabbits cut into serving size pieces (Doesn�t matter if it�s tame or wild)
1 large onion, sliced
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 large clove of garlic, chopped
1 can of condensed mushroom soup
1 cup of milk
1 cup of seasoned flour or enough to dredge the rabbit in for frying
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 tsp salt
� tsp pepper
Chopped chives for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 o F.
Dredge rabbit in seasoned flour and brown well in oil or a combination of bacon fat and oil.
In deep casserole , spread onion slices and celery on bottom. Add browned rabbit. Add sliced mushrooms.
Blend together mushroom soup , milk, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over rabbit.
Cover casserole with lid or foil.
Bake covered at 350oF for half hour, then uncover and bake for another half hour.
Garnish with chopped chives.
Serve over hot noodles.

*This could be cooked in a crockpot but I have never done it that way.

Last edited by Sassy; 09/07/08. Reason: spelling

Sassy

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Game? How about this wonderful recipe for possum!
Smothered Possum

One possum, dead of course, and as we say down here, dressed. This is not a
task for the faint of heart. You need about three pounds of meat.
Two onions, chopped
One bell pepper chopped
Four garlic cloves, minced
Two celery sticks, chopped
One quarter pound butter, (one stick)
Some flour, about a tablespoon
One half cup sliced mushrooms
One half cup burgundy wine
Salt, pepper, cayenne to taste
Diced parsely and scallions to top meat with

Method:
Melt butter in a heavy pan

Fry meat until browned

Add vegetables and saute until they become soft

Add the wine and the mushrooms,

Cover, and simmer on low heat until the meat is tender, add water if needed
to keep meat covered

Remove meat, and some of the liquid. Add flour to the liquid to make a
paste. Add this paste back to the pot, stirring until the resulting gravy
is smooth. Add water if needed. Add salt, pepper and spices.

Arrange sliced meat on a platter, cover with gravy, top with parsly and
scallions

serve with blackeyed peas, collards and cornbread. Pass the buttermilk!!!

Sam......

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Here's a tasd\ty appetizer:

DEEP FRIED RABBITIZERS

-1 rabbit (cottontail or snowshoe) de-boned and cut into bit-size pieces
-complete pancake mix (store brand fine)
-1 bottle cold beer

1. Place rabbit pieces in plastic bag and pound with meat mallet to tenderize
2. In a plastic bowl (with lid), mix beer and pancake mix to form a thick batter
3. Put tenderized pieces of rabbit into the batter and stir well to coat; put lid on bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour (overnight is OK)
4. Heat oil to 365 degrees (+/-). Drop cold, battered rabbit pieces into oil; fry til golder brown
5. Drain on paper towels; salt to taste
6. Serve and enjoy

Note: This also works well with wild turkey (good way to use thigh meat) and grouse.

Eat well,
GPA

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This also works well with wild turkey

high proof 101 or the cheaper stuff?

Last edited by prostrate8; 09/07/08.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Greek Venison Loin Marinade

5 cloves garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
1 Tablespoon oregano
1 fresh lemon seeded and juiced
2 Tablespoons balsamic or red wine vineger
1 teaspoon sea salt
pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and cuts of favorite venison loin chops several hours before grilling

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Honey BBQ Grouse

4 grouse breast
salt
pepper
6 cups flour
2 quarts vegetable oil
4 tablespoons honey
favorite BBQ sauce

Take four cleaned grouse breast, lay on cutting board and cover with plastic wrap, pound lightly with kichen mallet. Remove plastic and discard. Season lightly with salt and pepper, dredge grouse in flour, only a light coat is necessary. In a 8 qt stockpot add 2qts of vegetable oil. Heat to 350 degrees. Be sure to use a candy or other suitable high temperature thermometer to regulate the frying oil temperature. When oil is 350 use metal tongs to gently place two grouse beasts in oil, one at a time. Only fry about three minutes or untill a light golden color is achieved. Do not fully cook. Remove Grouse from oil and place on a sheet pan. Repeat process. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle each breast with 1 tablespoon of honey. Brush favorite BBQ sauce on each piece of meat. I prefer a thinner BBQ for this recipe such as stubbs. Place in oven for aproxamately 10 minutes or until an internal temp of 165 degrees is achieved. The result is a suprisingly moist and tender grouse. This works equally as well with pheasant.

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Good question. Answer: Either...or....!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (06hunter59, 163bc, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,785
Posts18,515,843
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.