Print Thread
Hop To
Page 60 of 1,842 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 1841 1842
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Stan -
Glad to hear you have been able to keep busy during your recovery! Also good to hear your coming along just fine. Your bow season starts a full month earlier than ours in MN. Our muzzle loader season doesn't start until mid/late november. My wife bought me a smoke pole for my birthday in May so I'm kind of looking forward to that season since I haven't done it before.
Just might be hangin a deer on 'ol Dave's meat pole during that season since we are in a lottery area where I hunt and can only take one deer. Dave is in the intensive harvest zone so I should be able to buy permits for that area come smoke pole season. Thats if he wants me of course. whistle

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hey top of page 60. Thats pretty cool!

*softly sings*

"On top of page siiixty all covered with bloooood. I shot that poor whitetaaail with a 44 slug. I gutted his bellly and took out his heart, then drank a beeeeer and let a big faaart!"

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
you come on up rooster, the only deer left are a few scruffy shrapnel riddled survivors that have learned to hide from the helicopters in the cedars. But the cabin will be warm, the beer will be cold, the food will be good & we'll have a great time.

but you'll have to work on your songwriting! grin

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave

but you'll have to work on your songwriting! grin

Yeah....sorry about that. The neighbor was over and we had bacardi cokes and beer for supper last night. Might be a few lingering effects.........er somethin. sick sleep

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
ahh, culling the herd.

you really need to thin out the weak buffalo from time to time.

That's what cliffy would do.

actually I thought your song was pretty clever, get you & Tzone together to write for da yoopers.

Something clever here.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nowadays when people are interviewed who have been in a tornado they liken the sound of the storm to that of a train.In the days before trains how did the indians describe the sound of a tornado?I think they compared it to the thundering sound of a large herd of buffalo stampeding.
"Mmmm,storm loud like stampeding Tatonka."

Stan

Last edited by Stan_in_SC; 08/27/08.

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
for the benefit of the unenlightened, I humbly submit "the buffalo theory":

In an episode of "Cheers," Cliff Clavin the trivia-spouting, quirky, irksome mama's boy mailman is seated at the bar describing the buffalo theory to his buddy, Norm Peterson, the beer loving heavyweight bar stool sitting perpetual patron.

Cliff expounds his "Buffalo Theory" to Norm.

�Well, you see, Norm, it�s like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it�s the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.�

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
good lord, I remember that episode. and still almost messed myself. funny.

Rooster,

the way I see it...da yoopers should be calling us, not the other way around. grin

da icy vind is blowin' in tru da tounge and groove, ma pants r frozen to da floor an I'm to sick ta move...

...here's to a faster brain boys (tom raising beer)

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the only deer left are a few scruffy shrapnel riddled survivors that have learned to hide from the helicopters in the cedars.

Dave - Have they killed that many deer??? Do they think your area is still a threat for CWD? That really sucks!! I will rope some deer and haul up there for us to shoot come smoke pole season. Put in your order by November 01.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I highly reccomend "deer roping"

please take pictures, video would be better.

I hear it's very easy to do. Not dangerous.

wink

yeah they shot the hell out of the deer. season never really closed you know. People were out in area 101 shooting does this spring with unborn fawns inside them.

From what I have seen the numbers are noticably down.

I can only hope that once season gets going there will be deer from the area north of us pushed down our way.

Something clever here.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
kind of had the same thing happen around here the last few years. with all the tzone seasons, and earn a buck seasons, you really start to notice the population dropping.

fewer deer seen in fields durring summer, less road kills, and the obvious not as many seen from the tree. In the last 5 years I would say our sightings are down 40-50% from years past.

can you hunt them now? with the fuzzy racks?

that would be very cool.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hey what the he!!? I've been out all week for training and this thread STILL hasn't moved? Do we have to have a meeting fella's? On second thought that is what I was doing all week so NO meetings!

Can you smell it? Can you smell IT coming?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
donno....but I definetaly smell somethin' grin...I did have sausage and kraut for lunch though.

weather cooled a bit, some color in the trees, haven't shaved this week...yeah something coming.

grin

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yawn....

everybody's gotta be gett'n tired of this monster thread.

but you guys are right, fall is in the air, small game, archey & early goose are open tomorrow right? Maybe the boys will go with me to the cabin. weezy has a swim meet tomorrow.

maybe I can get my dang chimney adapter fixed tomorrow. I'll bring the camera, we'll work on something & I'll post what ever it is we get to workin on, maybe the older boy can get him a grouse tomorrow with the .410

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yawn....

everybody's gotta be gett'n tired of this monster thread.

but you guys are right, fall is in the air, small game, archey & early goose are open tomorrow right? Maybe the boys will go with me to the cabin. weezy has a swim meet tomorrow.

maybe I can get my dang chimney adapter fixed tomorrow. I'll bring the camera, we'll work on something & I'll post what ever it is we get to workin on, maybe the older boy can get him a grouse tomorrow with the .410

if you're shootin' deer and small game tomorrow....
DON'T TELL ANYONE grin

it doesn't start until the 13th. but have fun if you do whistle

I see there is an early doe season on the 11-12th of Oct. hmmm, might have to come up for that. I'm in area 178 I think that is in the area.

Last edited by tzone; 09/05/08.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
oops.

yeah I really do need some sleep.

maybe i'll just sleep in tomorrow, wake up well rested & take a good look at the calander & start the day from there grin

maybe we'll just "scout" for small game grin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
oops.

maybe we'll just "scout" for small game grin

make sure you bring the .410. it's quiet if you find some grin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
South Carolina Upstate deer season opens for archery on Sept.15th.Muzzle loader follows on October 1st.Regular gun season opens October 15th. and runs thru January 1st.
I'm not sure how my season will fare this year.I can stand the .243 recoil I know.
Last year I quit climbing in climbing stands.I bought a couple of Scenttite chair blinds.12 pounds of pure comfort that sets up in about a minute and stows in about two minutes.Some of the most comfortable deer hunting I've ever done.
Dave ,no one is tired of this thread.It is an amazing piece of work that we have all helped build from your lead off.

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm kinda new to this forum & got directed here by mi compadre - Ol' Fella aka Stan in SC. You could say we got back a spell.

Wow - what great reading!

Don't worry about Stan either. He says he "can't" go hunting but we'll drag him out there screaming by God if we have to! I suspect that all I'll have to do is offer to buy him a senior meal @ McDonalds!

Here's a 'file photo' of me & the Ol' Fella sometime back, enjoy:

[Linked Image]

I'm the good looking guy on the left! Ha ha ha..

Seriously though - really good reading here guys. You make me realize what I'm missing (a quiet place miles from a hard road). Keep posting - please!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone
DPole,

This man folks has been around the block and knows what it takes to make a camp... grin

T,
I don't see any shooting windows in Dave's outhouse. They must be in the back side.
Anyway, I thought I'd tell you about another good idea I had. I help a friend (guide) set up his bear camps every so often. He uses those nice crappers like the feds use in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. Dave has probably been on one. They have a nice toilet seat on 'em, but of course there are no walls, etc, so a guy is right out there, able to survey the surroundings and guard stuff, like real men always have. Anyway, last year I convinced the guide to put a bait right near a camp (with a portable stand over it) that the guys (clients) could hunt if they didn't want to go far from camp; you know, if they weren't well from all the travel or whatever. They killed three bears from it last year. This year, he put "camp baits" at all his camps. This year, when I helped set up a couple of camps, I saw that the crapper overlooked the new camp bait. The portable stand was accross the small valley, also overlooking the bait. Anyway, I convinced the guide to put a camo shoot-through tent/blind over the crapper. New stand!!! The clients love it and shot two bears from it since the opener. They don't use the portable stand much. smile

There are many copies.
Page 60 of 1,842 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 16 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,290
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.