Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Texas Hunter!

I've admired the beauty of these deer for years, but never had an opportunity to hunt them. Like you, I've seen them on other ranches and seen pics and mounts and eaten venison from them - (which was second to none!), but never thought I'd get a chance at one like this one!

Grand is a pretty good description - not sure there's a prettier combination of antlers and coat than on a big axis buck.

DJ

GB1

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Dan.

My grill and I will be enjoying some real quality time in the near future!

DJ

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by waterbug
DJ,

What a story. Great pictures by your Dad.

Thanks, WB. We have been blessed with quite a few photo-ops lately, and we are getting better at getting good pics.

I think we had a smudge on the lens that messed up a few of the pics, but they still came out pretty good.

A little attention to detail really helps - get the tongue in his mouth, wipe off blood from his face, lay him out where he's pretty, position the hunters - I'm no photographer, but it is really satisfying to get some good pics.

We take a bunch - probably took 30 plus, which is fewer than normal because we were in a hurry due to the heat. Digital is great - take enough and there are usually a few good ones in there. It's funny though, we must be getting better - there really weren't any bad pics in this bunch.

DJ

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ChipM
Very nice and some great pixs. Gives me confidence in using my 243 this year. Nice start to the season

Appreciate it, Chip.

I wouldn't be scared of much with 85 TSX's in a 243. Dober was saying they crunched a bear with some.

I can't believe the bullet exited after busting shoulders - I think the off shoulder had less damage and that the bullet had shed some petals before it exited, but exit it did and he bled enough that anyone could have trailed him.

DJ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks DJ. I appreciate the answer. Must be nice to live in that kind of country.

At least I can enjoy reading this stuff.

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Another thing DJTex.
That Axis had some age on him.
You know and i know how much hunting pressure there is on smaller Texas ranches in that area and i am amazed that buck lived that long.
Just out of curiosity is there a high fenced exotic operation fairly close to your ranch??
A guy i knew years ago had a 100 acre place(long since sold) near Pedernales State Park and there was a high fence exotic ranch nearby.
A flood came ans washed out a huge portion of the fence and before they could repair it the inevitable escape in numbers took place.
That deer season he not only killed a small WhiteTail buck but two Sika's,a nice Black Buck antelope and an Auodad sheep.
Owner of the high fence outfit was livid.

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You're right - I think he was at least 5 years old, maybe older.

It is really something that he survived as long as he has - our place is around 300 acres low fenced with old fences with lots of holes we are always patching after bulls fight through them.

I'm not sure of the habits of these deer, but from what I have seen, they seem to have large territories. We have seen just one or two occassionally for several years, never with any consistency, and never more than a little young buck.

We saw the group with this buck a month ago, but not since. I really think we caught them passing through again, and that we have the water hole to thank if they are hanging around more. We are in a period of extended drought - no runoff rain in more than a year on our place, and our stock tanks are as low as they have been in 30 years. The rivers are largely dry, and I suspect water is drawing them and perhaps keeping them in the area.

There really isn't a high fence ranch near us - there were a few little places 10-15 years ago within a few miles, but we have seen axis deer free ranging quite often on low fence ranches within a couple of miles of us, and there have been some big ones taken. I think there is a pretty substantial wild population within 5-10 miles of us, and I suspect they travel a large territory. I have seen a disproportionately high number of them hit on the county roads and highways, so I think they cross them often.

I am really happy to have them around - I don't want them to displace our whitetails, just thrive and co-exist with them!

I think the big boys must lay low except for rutting activity for this guy to have survived. He was with a doe when we saw him the first time, and I suspect he followed a doe to water and that she left and he was leaving to follow her when I shot him. The first axis I saw when we were first approaching the tank was a doe or buck with no antlers, but I think most bucks have hard antlers this time of year, although I saw one in velvet with just a few inches of nubs.

Looking at my buck's face and teeth, I think he was at his peak and definitely mature.

DJ

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Daveh
Thanks DJ. I appreciate the answer. Must be nice to live in that kind of country.

At least I can enjoy reading this stuff.

Dave

It really is nice - I killed a big blackbuck with my bow a few years back, as well. Same place...

It's funny - we rarely see the exotics, but they do show up and pass through time to time. I hope they continue to thrive.

DJ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They seem to really thrive in the Hill Country for whatever reason. My wife's aunt has a place near Brady and we've seen them there from time to time.

The ranch my Dad manages in S. Texas is 10,000 acres and their population has really dwindled over the years since they introduced them to the ranch. They really don't have much hunting pressure there, so my Dad assumes it's coyotes.

On another note, I don't know if you guys realize how big of a deer this is. DJ isn't some pipsqueak. I'm guessing he's every bit of 6' 5". The Axis I shot earlier this year was well over 200lbs if I had to guess. He'd been eating good and had about an inch of fat on his back.

-Dan

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You're right, Dan - they do well in the Hill Country - we've got increasing coyote pressure, but less than in most of the state, and the cedar breaks give them places to hide - but there sure are lots of people moving in. I am convinced the coyotes and dogs are killing most of the Blackbuck does and fawns - we had 14 or 15 does we sometimes saw a few years back, and they have dwindled to nothing. There are one or two bucks we see once in a while now, but that's it. The bucks seem to make it if they can get to a year and a half, but I bet I found 8 or 9 does and fawns which were killed by predators. The Axis seem tougher, and they're 3 times the size of the blackbuck, so I'm sure that helps.

I had my boots on when we visited - I might crowd 6'5" with them on, but not in my socks. Still, I'm not a little guy, and this was a bruiser of an Axis!

This buck was the same as yours - hog fat. We've had enough rain to have grass, but no runoff for tank water.

Still can't really believe it, to be honest. Really blessed in every way - that's all I can say.

Take care,

DJ

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
DJ,

Not bad at all, you are truly blessed! Congrats & well done!

MtnHtr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
All I can say is it is way too cool that you were fortunate enough to have your young ones along!

The one cool thing I've learned from taking my Grandson who just turned 9 is they totally enjoy the hunt. The could care less about the record books, bullet BC's, prem bullets and such gack.

They just love the heck out of getting out there and doing it.

Good 4 you 4 taking them along!

Dober

+1

See Paul? I'm contributing!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very awesome!! Glad you had the opportunity to do that with the boys in tow. I know it's hard to believe, but I bet that it meant even more to them! Congrats.

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter
DJ,

Not bad at all, you are truly blessed! Congrats & well done!

MtnHtr

Thanks, MtnHtr! Blessed is indeed the right description!

DJ

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mauser96
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
All I can say is it is way too cool that you were fortunate enough to have your young ones along!

The one cool thing I've learned from taking my Grandson who just turned 9 is they totally enjoy the hunt. The could care less about the record books, bullet BC's, prem bullets and such gack.

They just love the heck out of getting out there and doing it.

Good 4 you 4 taking them along!

Dober

+1

Ain't it the truth!

Hope I'm getting it done half as good as 'Dober when I've got my 9 year old granson in tow!

DJ

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pointer
Very awesome!! Glad you had the opportunity to do that with the boys in tow. I know it's hard to believe, but I bet that it meant even more to them! Congrats.

I sure hope so! I know I remember just about every hunt with my Dad from when I was a little guy like them - I think these memories and experiences for little guys really impact them in a great way!

DJ

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great way to start the season. Glad to see our southern brother hunting right with his crew. Todd

"If all the good luck and all the bad luck I've had were put together, I reckon it'd make the biggest damned pile of luck in the world." Charlie Goodnight

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eastplace
Great way to start the season. Glad to see our southern brother hunting right with his crew. Todd

Thanks, Eastplace.

There are a few perks for those of us enduring 90+ degree weather in September! No elk or mulies, but we've got some pretty interesting critters - native and exotic.

DJ

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
congratulatons

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (44automag, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 444Matt, 20 invisible), 1,619 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,209
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.