Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
111mac Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I am going to buy a Remington Model 700 in 300 rum. I know it is going to kick, so I am looking for advice on a muzzle break etc. What style, where to have it installed etc. Any advice is appreciated.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Remington offer a low recoil load for the RUM. May be the best bet. Be aware that muzzle brakes greatly increase the muzzle blast noise which will be very high even without the brake.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/managed-recoil.asp

Ron

Last edited by Ron_AKA; 09/05/08.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A good stock goes a long way to minimize recoil.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
a good pad helps wonders too.. also, PAST makes a shoulder pad that really helps at the range. really helps....

if you dot mind me asking, why are you buying a gun that already has you looking to reduce the recoil..... just curious...

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
111mac Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Good Question. I do alot of big game hunting in the West and this is an excellent caliber to reach out and touch them at 300 plus yds. The downside is that they kick like a mule. I know muzzle brakes will bring this back to a resonable level but I dont have much experience with having one installed.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Im not a fan of muzzle breaks. I almost had my teeth blasted out with a 300 ultra last season. I also value my hearing. Maybe because my lively hood depends on it. There are many 300+ yard guns that would be just as deadly as the RUM. Just a few that come to mind are the 7mm mag, 280 Remington, 270 win, 30-06, 308. win 7mm-08 ect. You may be better off shooting a caliber with less recoil then buying something you are already afraid of.

Just my two cents take it for what its worth wink

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Put a mercury reducer in the stock.Gentry muzzle break,holes are drilled with an 11% forward angle,it pulls the rifle forward when shot and sends the noise away from person shooting the rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crittergetter
Put a mercury reducer in the stock.Gentry muzzle break,holes are drilled with an 11% forward angle,it pulls the rifle forward when shot and sends the noise away from person shooting the rifle.

Im sure thats nice for the person shooting but I was standing next to him smile

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
inside of 400 the 06' works fine... not trying to argue your choices but there are a pile of choices for LR deer/elk the will cover the 400 yard mark.... lots less recoil too and cheaper to shoot smile

JMO

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 111mac
I am going to buy a Remington Model 700 in 300 rum. I know it is going to kick, so I am looking for advice on a muzzle break etc. What style, where to have it installed etc. Any advice is appreciated.
The KDF brakes work very well. Have one installed with the optional thread cap.. That way, you can sight in at the bench and save your shoulder, then remove the brake and screw on the thread protector and go hunting.. For the most part, the heavier clothing worn during hunts will absorb enough recoil to be somewhat comfy.. Besides, when there's a trophy in the crosshairs, no one feels recoil..

If the factory stock doesn't have a good, squishy pad on it, there's another area to change.. Put on a pad similar to the triple magnums from Pachmayr and it will tame a lot of recoil also..

As far as installation, if you don't have anyone near you send it to me and I'll gitRdone... Pm me for any and all details and other info..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If your standing next to him-------move or you will soon.NOT MY PROBLEM.GENTRY ALSO MAKES THREAD PROTECTORS FOR HIS BREAKS ALSO.You can install a 1inch Decelerater pad on it also.I like his because the forward angled holes doesn't blow stuff in your face when shooting prone.

Last edited by crittergetter; 09/06/08.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can do you what you want with your rifes but I would just choose to shoot a caliber im not afraid of.

Dont worry next time I moved far far away smile

On a side note have you been able to get Gentry stuff since he passed away last year? I was looking into gettting some of his rings right before. I havent been able to get a hold of anyone since. Altough I havent tryed real hard.

SH08
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The zero with the threadcap on my 338 versus the brake was about 6 inches apart when I used it. Has this changed? That is to say does the threadcap now weigh more closely to the brake?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you have not bought the gun yet, I would second the suggestions to consider another cartridge. In my opinion the 7mm RM is the very biggest I would consider for NA game including the dangerous stuff. And if it is elk, moose, or deer, then there is an awful lot good to be said about the .270 Win. It has the power to take-em out to the distance you can responsibly hit-em.

Ron

111mac Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for your 2 cents but I Own 4 of the 6 calibers you mentioned and although they are great, for my money, there is no comparison with the 300 RUM. Also, I dont recall saying anything about being "afraid" of the gun. There is a big difference between trying to reduce recoil to improve your shooting and being afraid of the recoil.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry Mac didnt mean to imply you were afraid of the recoil. Sounds like you really want the ultra. If the break works for you go with it. Good luck and have fun.

KK

Last edited by kenaiking; 09/06/08.

SH08
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I was going to build a 300 RUM and changed my mine and built a 300 Jarrett instead,it chroned 3508 with 165gr NBT'S,AFTER BARREL BREAK IN I WAS SHOOTING GROUPS FROM .192 TO .254 WITH 3 SHOTS I'M HAPPY,I HOPE YOU WILL BE WITH THE 300RUM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The sure way to minimize recoil with a 300 RUM is to NOT buy the rifle. Those things are beyond ludicrous for overkill, recoil and muzzle blast. Buy a Winchester 300 Short Mag and be happy, or better yet, a 30-06 or 308. All of these cartridges will kill anything you'll ever hunt at any responsible distance.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had one KDF, one Harrell's, 4 or 5 Vais, and three made by Holland's, and the Holland's wins hands down.

I shoot 1000yd BR and we have a stock gun class in which I shot a 300 Ultra for 3 years. It was a Sendero laminated stock with 2 lbs. of lead in the butt, 1 lb. in the mag well, and 2 more in a channel in the forend, for a weight of around 14 1/2 lbs. with a Vais brake. 99 grs of Retumbo pushing a 190 Sierra almost 3300 was still a handfull, but not punishing. The concussion of the muzzle blast was noticable, but was harder on the neighbors. I set the range record of 5.4" with that set-up.
I had another Sendero rebarreled to the 300 last year with a Hollands brake and it's way more managable in the bags than the first one ever thought of being, and it weighs 2+ lbs less.
I also have a Holland's on a X-P 100 and can spot my own shots on prairie dogs now.
So, all brakes do a decent job on reducing recoil, there's no such thing as a "quiet" muzzle brake, and, in my experience, the Holland's is the one to get.
With that being said, I still wouldn't put one on a pure hunting rig.

Al

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have no doubt Holland is a good brake. My only beef is that they look like a malignant tumor at the muzzle.. My customers have, to date, preferred the KDF because when installed they maintain the same barrel profile..

I shoot 1000yd BR and we have a stock gun class in which I shot a 300 Ultra for 3 years. It was a Sendero laminated stock with 2 lbs. of lead in the butt, 1 lb. in the mag well, and 2 more in a channel in the forend, for a weight of around 14 1/2 lbs. with a Vais brake.
WOW.. I can see why you wouldn 't wanna traipse around the woods with THAT outfit.. Unless you wanted to build up your biceps.. Hehehehe..

Recoil should be bupkis with a rifle at nearly 15#.. Someday I'd love to see a 1,000 yard event.. Never have been to one, sadly...

You're also correct in that there's no such thing as a 'quiet' brake.. Similar to porting a shotgun barrel.. Side-to-side noise is much enhanced..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

418 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 41 invisible), 1,815 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,412
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.