Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
OK guys. I want at least one good night time pig scope. I have never hunted at night for pig or coyote and want to do some.

My best scope for night currently owned is a Conquest 3.5-10 x 44. Since it has never been used for this purpose, is it goodnuff.

I would appreciate hearing from those who do the above.

THX: Eldorado

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two rifles setup for dedicated night hunting of feral hogs. After much trial and error over the years with various illuminated reticules, this is what I ended up with:

Schmidt & Bender Zenith 1.5-6x42mm Flash Dot #7
Kahles Helia CBX 2.5-10x50mm 4NK

Granted, both are expensive and highly specialized.... but my boys and I hunt hogs all year round.

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Thanks FO: I knew that the S&B would be up there among the top rated, but seeing the Kahles was nice. Hoping there are some cheaper alternatives in reliable night scopes, so, I'm waiting on some of the others with experience to chime in.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have used a 3-9x40 Conquest with good results on pigs at night. The heavier duplex reticle works better in the dark than the standard duplex in my Leupolds. I just try to hunt when you got good moonlight.

I would give your current scope a try and see what happens. I will point out that the area I hunt pigs most at night is fairly open and not deep woods.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If weight isn't an issue (and it turned out to eventually be an issue for me) the finest low-light scope I have ever looked though was - without a doubt - my 5.5 X 22 X 56 NightForce scope.

It's now in the hands of a dedicated wolf shooter who shoots his dogs in the middle of frozen BC lakes and rivers in mid-winter under moonlight.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
IC B2

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep the power cranked down and the Zeiss should be fine. Your eye can't use an exit pupil over about 7mm anyway. An illuminated reticle might help.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'm sure your Zeiss would be fine for much night time hunting.
What you need to understand are a few simple rules or principles.
First of all, you don't need to see much of the image to shoot, but you do need to see the reticle. That's why the heavier reticles are prefered. However, if you can't see the reticle, try turning the magnification down until it comes back.
Second is that nights vary alot. I've seen nights where I could use 10X on my VariXIII Leupold and see for hundreds of yards. On the other hand, I've seen nights so dark, full cloud cover and no moon, heavy forest, where I couldn't see much over 50 yds. with my 6X42.
So, the rule is use as much magnification as you can. If it's turned up too far, the scope will simply show you nothing. You need to know this if it gets darker. Again, turn down the magnification. BTW, the image will appear less bright, but assuming your scope is properly focused, you should see more details of your target.
That's another one. Make sure the scope is focused for the range you are attempting to shoot. Zeiss scopes feature a very fast ocular, so that should be easy to do.
Another point is that it takes a good 20-40 mins for your night vision to kick in. So, use only red or maybe yellow filtered lights as dim as you can to preserve your night vision. If you choose an illuminated reticle scope, make sure you are very careful about not getting the reticle too bright. That can make the image harder to see.
It is common for hunters to loose some of our night vision capability as we age. If your scope quits, no matter what magnification it is set on, that may be what's going on. All scopes that are capable of a 7mm exit pupil work at night. But not every one has eyes that can use this low light capability.
Last of all, assuming a fully multicoated scope, the bigger the scope, the more magnification it can use and the better they work at night. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E, what do you hunt out there in Cali at night?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I'm sure your Zeiss would be fine for much night time hunting.
What you need to understand are a few simple rules or principles.
First of all, you don't need to see much of the image to shoot, but you do need to see the reticle. That's why the heavier reticles are prefered. However, if you can't see the reticle, try turning the magnification down until it comes back.
Second is that nights vary alot. I've seen nights where I could use 10X on my VariXIII Leupold and see for hundreds of yards. On the other hand, I've seen nights so dark, full cloud cover and no moon, heavy forest, where I couldn't see much over 50 yds. with my 6X42.
So, the rule is use as much magnification as you can. If it's turned up too far, the scope will simply show you nothing. You need to know this if it gets darker. Again, turn down the magnification. BTW, the image will appear less bright, but assuming your scope is properly focused, you should see more details of your target.
That's another one. Make sure the scope is focused for the range you are attempting to shoot. Zeiss scopes feature a very fast ocular, so that should be easy to do.
Another point is that it takes a good 20-40 mins for your night vision to kick in. So, use only red or maybe yellow filtered lights as dim as you can to preserve your night vision. If you choose an illuminated reticle scope, make sure you are very careful about not getting the reticle too bright. That can make the image harder to see.
It is common for hunters to loose some of our night vision capability as we age. If your scope quits, no matter what magnification it is set on, that may be what's going on. All scopes that are capable of a 7mm exit pupil work at night. But not every one has eyes that can use this low light capability.
Last of all, assuming a fully multicoated scope, the bigger the scope, the more magnification it can use and the better they work at night. E

E's last sentence is spot on! Listen and learn.

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I'll look through my various scopes tonight on whatever their best power would be. I've already done this on 4 power setting.
Very unscientific, but I must make do with what I have on hand,
untill a decision is made to upgrade or not.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Eldorado,
Take your scope out in the woods and play with it to see.
If you can, take an archery target of a boar. 3D would be great, but cutting all the background off a paper photo target will work. Mount it on cardboard backing, also cut to profile, put it in the woods, on the road, etc, and see how far you can make out detail in full moon, half moon, new moon, overcast with moon. Don't wait for the hunt to find out!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have done a lot of night hunting for predators & hogs. Even done some in Africa & Europe. I have used some of the best illuminated scopes when hunting in Europe. Zeiss, S & B, & Swarovski work great but, are very expensive. I have mounted several Trijicon 3-9X40's for friends & had an opportunity to test out at night. For around $800 they can't be beat. Leupold & Conquest don't come close. Find one at a store & do your own evaluation. I can promise you that it will be worthwhile. I'm planning to purchase one.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
What FOsteology said.
But, please be advised that Khales is going out of business at the end of this year. Khales will be no more.
S&B is the real deal though.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

C
ccd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you hunt a lot at night something like this:
http://www.atncorp.com/DayNight/DayNightFrontSightSystems/ATNPS22-3

is worth the cost. I unfortunately have quite a few more months of saving up to afford it. They and others make similar items in Gen II/II+, etc but I have never really found any Gen II stuff I liked. The thermal sights look even better, but they are obscenely expensive.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Finding a scope in a store and trying to evaluate it is a joke. You usually have lots of trouble just trying to hold it steady enough to see any thing, let alone compare things like low light performance or eye box size. Don't waste your time.
If you want to spend the money on an illuminated scope, that's your call. I can assure you that the heavier euro style reticles work fine in any useable light. If need not even be the boldest of them. I find them very useful during day light as well in helping me get on a moving target more easily.
I, personally, would be very cautious about using a brand new name in the rifle scope bussinees simply because they have no track record. While they might hold up well, then again, they might not. Scopes that shift zero easily when bumped or break down from recoil are something I want to know about and avoid. E

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
We hunt stuff like coyotes, bobcats and fox at night. We also have stuff like bears and lions that have been known to hunt us. E

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Alot of great comments. Thanks. I do not think Oklahoma allows
night vision devices on scopes like ATN.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you ever go to Europe & use some of the best illuminated scopes in the world you might just charge you opinion, but I doubt it. I have & my experiences are based on facts not subjective opinions. Trijicon has been used by many African hunters for buffalo & leopard. Again, facts from my SCI chapter mates & not second hand opinions. I believe this is a great scope for low light based on my own testing. Our resident site expert, Mule Deer, who you make constant reference to, has used this scope extensively & has nothing but good things to say. And no, it is not a joke to go into a store & look thru various scopes & form opinions. Is this the perfect test, no, but it's definitely not a joke. I would hope the poster would make his own informed decision based on facts not rhetoric. I really don't give a rats a$$ if you use a Leupold, thats your call.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I'd suggest an IOR. Great glass and good brightness at night. I like their illuminated reticle too.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
For illuminate reticle, I think S&B would be considered due to their 30 yr guarentee or Trijicons 3-9x40.

I like the idea of IOR's fixed 6x40 in their 4a reticle. Excellent glass and a 3.75 eye relief.

But First, I'll check what I've got.

I really appreciate the Trijicon and IOR idea. I had forgotten about those, and for me they are worthy of consideration.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,099
Posts18,522,287
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.