Hop To
Page 61 of 1,842 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 1841 1842
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
A crapper stand, that's good stuff.

and yes of course I'm familiar with the type of crapper your talking about, not much privacy! grin

We had a good weekend at camp in spite of the rain. I took the boys out there on sat, we shot a deer rifle for the first time, even the little guy got some shooting in, we picked choke cherries yesterday, good weekend.

I'll post pics in a while here. need more coffee, monday mornings suck.

Dave

Something clever here.

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Well my pictures aren't as good as I had hoped for but here goes.

First off we have the oldest boy shooting his new deer rifle. Winchester M70 FWT in 30-06. We are shooting remingtons reduced recoil 125 gr factory loads. Scope is Leupold VXII 3-9 40mm 100 yr anniversarry edition. Bench is a crappy old cable spool & a plastic lawn chair grin

Here he is taking aim & adjusting the rest.
[Linked Image]
sliding his first shell in
[Linked Image]

Here's a 4 round group I shot with the low spank loads. I've found that the remington version of the reduced recoil loads tend to get a little loose. The federal version seems to bring a tighter group but this is what we found locally so we went with it.
[Linked Image]

and here's how the boy did with a 4 round group of his own. I told him that oughta do just fine.
[Linked Image]

then the little guy wanted to shoot, he kept asking "is it my turn now dad?" He was asking while I was sighting the new deer rifle in & I'd say "well, not quite yet" then he'd say "But I'm next right dad?" Well he finally got his turn. I loaded up my 9422M & helped him line it up towards the target. He got to shoot it 3 times & he really thought that was something, he was a really big guy after that.
[Linked Image]

We went for a walk yeterday & Mr Big carried the red rider to protect us from bears & stuff.

[Linked Image]

And finally here's a shot of the choke cherries we picked yesterday. Come deer season these will be choke cherry jelly on toast for deer hunter breakfast at the shack.

I have no idea where that beer box came from whistle
[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/DSC01387.jpg[/img]

That's all for now.

Dave

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
dogolden,

welcome to the fire. Hopefully you can get Stan out in the bushes to spend a few of those rounds he's been reloading while he's been laid up.

waddday say Stan?

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Dave,

great pics. yeah I'd say Jr. will do well if he keeps shooting like that.

I love the pic with the bb gun, he's smilin' like heck there.

those choke cherries make good partridge food too, I find those birds near the choke cherries a lot.

oh yeah I almost forgot. did you shoot any grouse grin

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by tzone
oh yeah I almost forgot. did you shoot any grouse grin

We could have, a bird flushed & treed real nice for us behind the cabin while we were picking berries. My oldest boy wanted to shoot it so bad but I told him we had to wait a week. grin

Something clever here.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
those berries will get ya every time...

they never tree for me, never.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
dogolden, Is that crusty the clown with you there?

welcome to the campfire forums. grin

Dave

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I would say the little guy is now Mr. Big. Heck he's even drinkin himself a high life while he's shootin! Go Joe! cool smile

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Dave - I noticed you didn't have any lead in your sled. (sandbags) How does that work for recoil with that thing? Been thinkin about getting one and was curious.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Rooster,

you and I are on the same page. I was gonna mention somethin' about the lad shooting so well after the Hi Life, but.

having no led is your sled... is that like having no led in your pencil? grin

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
lead? we don't need no stinking lead!!

grin

I've never weighted the sled. I just wanted a rest to shoot from & Pam bought me that one for christmas last year.

It does absorb quite a bit of recoil without any weight in it though.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
they are pretty heavy on their own. Does it work well for a rest?

the range bags they have at our range leave a lot to be desired. I should get something for myself instead of plain ol sandbags.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I shot off of rolled up rifle cases for years, graduated to a huge gym sock fulled with whole corn as a quick cheap bag (I still use that some) and now this rest. I do like the rest for trying to shoot iddy bitty groups. Especially if I'm tweaking on a varmint rifle or something, trying to get the little boolits to chase the same hole.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I have shot off the rolled up 'egg carton' foam from my hard case and it works ok.........until the barrel is not quite clear of the foam. Man a 7mm mag has a lot of muzzle blast! Me and the guys around me at the range thought it was snowing for about 1/2 a second there! shocked

Last edited by Rooster7; 09/08/08. Reason: word change

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I shot my AK from a rolled up soft case.Didn't see that part of it had come unrolled and was in front of the muzzle.Cotton was raining.

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
wow, Stan's up early!!

My fav is the burnt paint or the gouge across the hood of the pickup. Or the bullet holes in the side of the truck bed, outward punctures tell the tale of the hastey shooter holding his scope on a running deer & shooting across the box of his pickup only to find he has not quite cleared the opposite side of the box.... oops blush

never happened to me but I'm sure some of us have seen the old pickup trucks rolling around that carry those sorts of wounds.

Hey Tom, It's looking like we will be able to do that Duluth trip this weekend. Also sounds like there is some sort of big party at the Inn. I'll send you a PM.

Dave

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
how can they have big party without inviting us? Who do these people think they are grin

My buddy and I were shooting off his deck durring turkey season about 8 years ago, using the rail for a rest. It had a lot of goofy angles on it, and his first two shots went into the balastors under a rail he couldn't see in the scope so he thought he was clearing it.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yesterday I sent a PM to Rick Bin about this thread. Basically told him I'm worried about the size of the thread & how it's stickied to the top of the page here. Explained how I'm developing a complex about it, feeling bad/guilty about this post taking up space and the fact that it's a thread that originated with focus on one groups efforts to pull a camp together. I feel bad about a post that showcases updates on one campfire member's camp.

Rick was as kind and pleasant as always, basically said the thread is not a problem & offered the idea of putting it to a vote of sorts.

I guess what I�m getting at is that I think maybe it's time to pull the sticky & see if this thing can still float.

If it sinks it sinks, had a good run & lots of fun. But I see no reason force it to stay alive.

I aint going anywhere, and if this big damn post slides off the bottom of the page & disappears I'll still offer up individual posts now & then sharing camp progress, stories, hunting successes & failures..

What's everybody think?

Dave

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You can't let it sink now. The season is 21 away. You'll be updating this thing almos weekly now.

or You could do "The Deer Camp Year 2" or something.

Rick's right. You're the only one who's worring about it smile

It is a community spot now. We all put our weekend hunting/shooting stories/pictures in it.

I want it to stay purely for selfesh reasons.

If you really are that uncomfortable with it, try your plan, unsticky it. It really is your thread after all

Tom

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
what I mean by the line: "I feel bad about a post that showcases updates on one campfire member's camp." Is that I worry it's selfish.

I really don't know what to do, if anyone is reading this & has thougts or suggestions they would rather offer up in a PM then please by all means click my profile & send me a PM.

and thanks Tom, i do like the idea of a "deer camp year 2" sort of thing.

Dave

Something clever here.

Page 61 of 1,842 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,395
Posts18,488,841
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.