-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Allen NEVER said it's a 10K rifle or nothing, just the best one could afford then ensure it was "combat ready" if Dangerous Game was on the menu and scoffed (and I agree) with those armchair commandos who insisted their untested rifles were just as good. If I could afford an Echols rifle, believe me I'd have a few of them and in the same PRACTICAL calibers Allen espoused. I say good for him. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I sure would like to see it. Any chance of a scan or PM? jorge

I'll do so.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I got it Pugs from another forumite. Thansk anyway. I just read it. I wish Allen was back. Th fireworks would be worth it! jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BFaucett
I hope MD doesn't mind me posting this excerpt. Here's the paragraphs in question:

"One such rational hunter posts frequently on an Internet chat room. He claims to be so rational that he grows impatient with people who don�t follow his rationale completely. (It might be pointed out that impatience with other people�s opinions isn�t exactly rational, since we�re likely to run into this odd phenomenon more than once or twice in our lives. But that would be a cheap shot, so I won�t do it.)

It turns out his choice for the perfect hunting rifle is a model built by one particular custom gunsmith, with a custom-designed synthetic stock, top-notch barrel and controlled-round feed action (what else?) worked over into as close to perfection as possible. Even with a plastic stock, each of these rifles costs over $10,000 � and this purely practical rifleman has several.

The fact that they are all chambered for purely practical (meaning popular) cartridges really doesn�t mean this guy is purely practical. Anybody who spends that kind of money, over and over again, on rifles that don�t have beautiful walnut stocks is not thinking like a computer but more like a supermodel on a wig spree."

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Disregard the scan. Bob captured it.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just my opinion but I don't think MD was talking about Allen in his article. I've seen posts on here between Allen and MD and I always got the impression that MD had a lot of respect for Allen.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Like I said earlier, if that wasn't about Allen, I'll eat my hat.

However, I don't think it was nearly as negative as it sounds on the surface. If you read the whole article titled "Sentiment", MuleDeer's point is that sentiment plays as much of a role in our rifle purchases as practicality. I think his point was from a practical standpoint, those $10k rifles could not be justified. There must be something else at play - sentiment, ie. those rifles were actually chosen as much because Allen liked them as that they were practical.

edited to add: I'm not trying to speak for JB, maybe he'll chime in at some point and give us his interpretation.

Last edited by jds44; 08/22/08. Reason: clarification
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree that sentiment plays a large part in selection. In the case of proven reliability or accuracy or comfort with a particular make, or calibre. I love the 6.5x55 swede in swedish mausers. They are accurate low pressure butte ugly rifles that I have relied on over and over and that have never let me down. They are cheap like borscht and I would buy another tomorrow if for sale at the gun show. I would not probably call the M96 or M42B practical. That he loves a particular rifle and owns numerous, I understand and applaud.

I even allow my brother the_Shootist to fixate on 30-06. And Tikka...I even bought one to keep him happy

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Reading that article sure makes me think JB was referring to Allen.

Last edited by John55; 08/22/08.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Allen NEVER said it's a 10K rifle or nothing, just the best one could afford then ensure it was "combat ready" if Dangerous Game was on the menu and scoffed (and I agree) with those armchair commandos who insisted their untested rifles were just as good. If I could afford an Echols rifle, believe me I'd have a few of them and in the same PRACTICAL calibers Allen espoused. I say good for him. jorge

+1

I've met Allen several times. He's a genuine good guy. He's never dis'ed my choices in what I take hunting. He has strong opinions, yes. But what would these forums be without some strong opinions.

Carpe' Scrotum
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don't know Allen personally but he took the time to respond to an email I had sent him a couple of years ago. He didn't just write a couple of sentences, no, he sent a very long and detailed response that was full of helpful information.

Likewise, Jorge is a knowledgeable fellow who has been willing to help others along the way.

Landrum

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why thank you Landrum, but I'm not even close to the same league as Allen! jorge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know Allen personally either. I have read most of his postings both here and on accuratereloading, and have had a few PM discussions with him. I even bought a very nice pre-64 Model 70 action from him through the classifieds.

In all of the comments of his that I've read, I've found very little that I could argue with him over. My take on his advice is to use the very best equipment that you can afford. I agree completely with that advice. His experience with the Accubond bullet, though much broader than mine, exactly mirrors my experience using it on one game animal. I haven't used it on anything else,nor will I. I don't need to.

He has little patience with shoddy performing equipment, and neither do I. You shouldn't either! Is he opinionated and stubborn -- I suspect that he is. But then, so am I.

I too, miss Allen's sage advice. I hope he comes back on-line. The site is better served with opinions based on experience from all sides.

Tom

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tsquare

The site is better served with opinions based on experience from all sides.

Tom

To bad politicians don't feel the need to use the same criteria...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I suspect Allen has his hands more than full with his business ventures these days, given the tough times banking and real estate are going through. Given that, I doubt he has any time for internet forums and the bickering and jousting that one typically encounters.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think AD was any more opinionated than the rest of us but he sure had a lot of experience to bring to the table.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Add me to the list of guys that really miss Allen Day's posts.
I got a "QUICK" introduction to Allen and the respect he commanded from others. I first encountered Allen about 10-11 years ago over on the old Outdoorlife forums. I was reading these post from this obviously over confident wack job, who talked about killing lions, and all sorts of african game, Bears, Elk, etc etc. Naturally as a twently something, I assumed him to be a poser, and called him out. BIG MISTAKE! APPARENTLY, this guy was for real. He and about 20 other people let me know it too. I had one guy who e-mailed me for days reminding me I was not $hit. Allen BLASTED me for in his words "Hiding behind a internet handle" instead of posting by my name.
I had managed to ruin my Fourm reputation be for it even started. lol
I quickly dummped the handle and shut my mouth and learned some stuff for a few years. I read almost everything he posted here and over at Accurate reloading for a Decade. If he had a fan club then I guess I was a charter member!

About 3 years ago I got to see the real side of Allen. He helped me with every aspect of building the best semi-custom rifle I could afford. My Left handed MRC 1999 was not Mr Days cup of tea, but he was so helpful in helping me put it together right. I can honestly say I never went against his advice during the course of this project, and dozens of dozens of PM's (hell I hope I didn't burn him out) I totally followed his choice for my Stock choice, caliber, barrel length, scope choice.
And NO my rifle is not a .300 win mag, lol grin Allen was quick to suggest just that (IMAGINE THAT) , but I was honest with him; letting him know I was not comfortable going with a belted mag. I had developed a flinch with a Belted mag a few years ealier that took me a while to get rid of. He totally understood and of the
calibers I was intrested in (270,280,30-06) he suggested the time proven -06 for my all around gun. Argue with that right!
He also put me in contact with Darcey Echols, and Mark Penrod, who both spoke highly of Allens knowledge as a rifleman. Echols was a blast, we talked for over 1/2 hour and he knew I wasn't even going to have him do work. I did want a Echols Lefty stock but that never materialized in time.
Mr Day where ever you are, your conversations are missed! Would love to meet you some day, if not in this life, the next in Heaven. I know he'll be there, becuase we didn't always just talk about guns. smile

Last edited by MarkG; 08/27/08.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Allen, best of luck and hope you make it back occasionally!

I really enjoyed following Allen's discussions and appreciated his willingness to answer questions via pm. I've been checking these boards for awhile now wondering where he was and figured he may be on Safari. He sounds like a busy person so its not surprsing to hear he needs some time off line. Hope things go well for him and hope to see him on these boards again.

Joe

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Allen--

Let me join the chorus of people who are pleased to have crossed paths with at this cyber campfire, and say how much I would enjoy spending time with you around a real one. Your years of experience have given you a clear vision of what is important in a serious hunting gun, and I have learned a great deal from your articulate posts.

God's speed along your path, and I hope we hear from you in the future.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do any of these look like Allenday to you?

Could always snail mail him.

http://www.zabasearch.com/query1_za...;city=&name_style=1&tm=&tmr=

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Would be the second one, the Allen E. Day in the little hamlet of Dundee, Oregon.

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 3,073 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,378
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.