-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Begining of August PH Charl van Rooyen from Infinito Safaris and our client Daven Harris from Wales managed to shoot a big trophy eland bull in the mountains. How to get it down, well luckily we could reach the spot with some difficulties with the land Cruiser and it decided to die under a tree which Charl thought would not hold the weight of the eland.

But have a look yourself and enjoy.

Loading the eland

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great video! Nice to see after the kill.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Looked and ENJOYED! Darn dog could've helped instead of barkin orders though!

til later

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's funny!

My PH told me a story of trying to use the front bumper winch over the roll bar to load 1/2 of a giraffe in the back of his Toyota Land Cruiser, I would love to see that on video.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was waiting for the disaster that never came. If only I had trees up here I'd try that for loading moose!

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll have to figure out how to post a couple of my videos from a buffalo and an eland hunt...I think nobody taught the locals how to count to three...

This brought back many good memories, for sure. Thanks a million for posting. grin grin

L2S

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Glad you all enjoyed it !

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Just wondering why the animal wasn't gutted before being loaded?

K
K
Originally Posted by Fjold
That's funny!

My PH told me a story of trying to use the front bumper winch over the roll bar to load 1/2 of a giraffe in the back of his Toyota Land Cruiser, I would love to see that on video.

Frank, mpumulelo (Frederik) has the footage of that giraffe you are refering to. Maybe he can post that as well? We tried to load the whole thing at the insistance of the land owner, and in the end we chainsaw it into two pieces, one going on the land owners Cruiser, the other onto Francois. Incedently, when we tried to pull the whole one up, the owners winch could not make it, I parked my Cruiser in front of his, and we used my winch. It was one of the biggest giraffe bulls I have seen in some time, so Frederik, there is some pressure on you to load that video as well!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Simon in S.A. has a winch on the front, a support bar with a pully on it at the front up above the front hood, a support bar with a pully on it aft of the cab. The line is run up, then back and onto the animal and winched up the truck bed. Wayne brings a flat bed trailer and jacknifes it to accept the moose. A line is run to a second truck and the moose is dragged up and onto the trailer. I guess you could use your own truck if you had a way of making sure the trailer didn't move as the moose tried to come aboard.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

224 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 2500HD, 39 invisible), 2,188 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,607
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.