Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

So Sitka just popped up on my radar screen, outside of being expensive what is distinctive about it.

Spot

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spot,

Sitka filled a niche in the hunting community that was long overdue. A vacuum, in fact. They were really the first company to design and market hunting clothing that was technical and designed after mountaineering clothing. Think breathable, synthetic, lightweight. They use a layering system to protect you. I bought up most every piece when it came out.

Since then, a few other companies have started to realize they were missing the boat on a huge market. Cabelas has some great stuff for less money, and I am a fan of Browning's new line. I am actually selling a lot of my Sitka stuff after trying it. Better gear at less money, generally speaking.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Dryflyelk,

Which browning line, and Cabelas lines should I look at.

Cabelas Micro Fleece is what they call a mid layer, I don't know sqwat about brownings line.

More research for me, web hunting I go..

Spot

Last edited by Spotshooter; 09/10/08.
One has to decide how much performance they want out of their gear. Any rain gear with a low knap exterior will retain water for some time. I had the Sitka Downpour series before it was stolen in a truck breakin. It performed flawlessly. I tried Browning's new "component system" and I must say it was good for the money, but does not dry near as fast as the Sitka gear. Where this comes into play is in a backcountry situation living in a tent or bivy for several days. I was camping/scouting this summer where it rained for three days straight. The browning gear never dried and soon the whole tent started to retain its moisture. Not fun. With the Sitka gear,one can shake the majority of the excess water off and it dries quickly. The stuff is also very durable as well. I questioned the Browning gear in that department. I have since returned the Browning to Sportsmans Warehouse and got the Nimbus Raingear. In my opinion the Browning suff was good.

Aaron
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I used Sitka this year on my CO. archery elk hunt as well as my buddy. Our humble opinion aftewards was it is WAAAYYY over priced and there is better out there. What? I have my likes, but not neccessarily yours, but I have a complete set new with tags I am debating on selling. My Predator poly dried alot quicker and did not stink as bad after sweating it up. Good luck!

Good Shooting!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sharpshooter,

The browning stuff I'd look at is the quest jacket and the zero gravity jacket and pants. Were you able to try that, sharpstick? I've loved my stuff. I also have the down jacket and vest. All top notch. I think it is new this year. Link here:
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/family.asp?webflag_=027A&catalog_=A

I think the best bang for the buck as far as pants go is the Cabelas microtex, found here:
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0057701932919a.shtml

Another great jacket is the cabelas MTO50 stuff. Sounds like you already have some of that.

Here's another link you may find interesting about Sitka stuff. A discussion over on monstermuleys.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID25/768.html

AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had great experiences with browning gear. My Browning Quest Jacket and Quest pants should be here in the mail today. I bought the Sitka 90% Jacket and am returning it because of first impressions on quality after dropping $250 (pocket sinch cord broke on first pull, material coming apart / loose threads on the outside coat hook piece on back?)

For the same price as the sitka 90% (which I now think is way overpriced), you can get the Browning quest which is fully waterproof and a tad heavier, which eliminates the need for an additional rain jacket and may be a little warmer. My guess is that breathability of the Browing may be a tad less than the sitka 90% based on the goretex, but i'm sure it's comparable.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I've not owned Sitka, but have seen it in action by a partner. The crotch of the pants blew out in one week of sheep hunting. The pants he had didn't move or stretch much. I'll stick with any of a number of dead-colored Schoeller or other softshell pants from one of a million manufacturers of such (REI, Mountain Hardwear, etc.).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had good luck with my Sitka gear; beginning with the mountain paints and the downpour jacket-no complaints-yet.

Time will tell I guess...

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just sent back a Cabela's Mountain Extreme Softshell Jacket, that thing would be LOUD at a football game....with my team winning!! Cabela's should have known better than to put that on the market, the reviews weren't up when I ordered mine, I see others found the same problem. I looked hard at the new Browning line but my Sitka gear will be here next week.

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I too had some problems with my Sitka gear. Both the Mt Pants and Mt Shirt lasted a week in the field. Sitka is sending me replacements, not sure what. From what they said lots of folks had issues with their 2007 run... The 2008 and newer stuff is supposed to be better... We'll have to wait and see....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I most hunt here in Idaho where it seldom rains but purchased the Sitka downpour for a New Zealand hunt, it rained 9 days straight with short periods of sun. The rain gear worked better than anything I've ever worn. My two complaints was not belt loops or means to tighten then across my boot tops. I have since then added suspenders, a 90% jacket, summer weight pants, tuk, and gloves. I agree it is expensive but it seems most things that work well are.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love my mountain pants so far, only tested them on a one day 10 mile backpack hike in the snow. I just picked up a 90% Jacket cheap on Ebay, I hope it fits, as I got a medium. I thought about purchasing some of the baselayers but, I'm not sure I'm ready to spend 100 bucks on the baselayer. I think I'll pick up a Predator polyester shirt, however.

Cabela's has a new line of softshell pants and jackets, which seem of good quality. They also are offering some new baselayers and midlayers this year. Also, some of the Under Armour layering shirts seem of similar construction and quality as Sitka, with a somewhat cheaper price tag.

Here are some links to some of Cabela's stuff..

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...p;parentType=index&indexId=cat601733

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...p;parentType=index&indexId=cat601732

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...p;parentType=index&indexId=cat601733

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Boise
I most hunt here in Idaho where it seldom rains but purchased the Sitka downpour for a New Zealand hunt, it rained 9 days straight with short periods of sun. The rain gear worked better than anything I've ever worn. My two complaints was not belt loops or means to tighten then across my boot tops. I have since then added suspenders, a 90% jacket, summer weight pants, tuk, and gloves. I agree it is expensive but it seems most things that work well are.

I'm not positive on this but, I think some, maybe all, of the 2008 line has suspender/belt loops. I remember reading of other folks who weren't happy not having loops.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Scorpion
Originally Posted by Boise

I'm not positive on this but, I think some, maybe all, of the 2008 line has suspender/belt loops. I remember reading of other folks who weren't happy not having loops.

The 90% and Ascent pants come with suspenders.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by AHM
My guess is that breathability of the Browing may be a tad less than the sitka 90% based on the goretex, but i'm sure it's comparable.

The difference between the breathability of goretex and a soft shell is substantial. Soft shells do not have a laminate layer, like goretex, that slows down the transfer of moisture thru the garment significantly.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've logged many miles this year in the Sitka Downpour gear. Packed out a few bucks from Alpine in it too, in some awful terrain.

It's the best stuff I've uses thus far. It's kinda like wearing PJ's while hunting.

I'll be putting another 20ish miles on the clothing in the next few weeks and I'll let you know if it holds up.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (308ld, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 300_savage, 21 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 1,003 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,626
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.