Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
AHM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Curious what lighting options y'all carry along with you on your backpack hunts.

I have a blackdiamond (1 spot, 3 led's) that has worked great, but needs to be replaced this year due to the case beginning to crack and the lense getting scratched up (about 4 years old).

I also have a gerber lithium light, but it is a tad heavy (3 lithium batteries), but I'm not sure whether I should take it along or not.

Do you guys carry more than just your head lamp (and spare batteries), what headlamps are you using, and what other brand lights do you carry if any?

Thanks for any insight.
A

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're concerned about weight, the Princeton Tech EOS is a good option.
When I'm not backpacking and want a bright light, I'll be using the PT Apex. VERY bright.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
On my backpack hunts, I carry a Petzl TacTikka XP. It has a bright 1 watt LED that reaches out a good distance (enough to keep you from getting cliffed out) and also has a diffuser lens that slides in front for close in work. I also carry a Surefire E1L which is very bright for it size, but pricey. I've also heard good things about the Fenix lights and how they have been compared favorably to the Surefires, but much cheaper.

I could probably just get by with only the headlamp, but always like having a more powerful light just in case and the Surefire only weighs in at 3ozs. Both of them together are about 7oz.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I just bring a headlamp, and I like the Petzl Tikka XP. I have my best success hunting elk at sundown so I plan on finishing the skinning, quartering, and hiking back to camp off trail after dark and it works fine.

On a recent trip a buddy was surprised at the brighness and reach on the bright setting.

Uses AAA batteries and I've never run down a set during a single trip.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I just use a Black Diamond headlamp, bright LED spot and four small led's- very powerful and variable. I do spring for the disposable lithium batteries which last much longer than akaline and run very well in the cold for backpack hunting. The rest of the year, I just use regular alkaline batteries.

IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I like the Tikka's or BD Spot equally well for hunting.

For backpacking and even some ultra light hunting I use a Petzl e+ and carry a Fenix AAA as a superbright backup.

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like these they are light(2.8oz), cheap(on sale $17.00), have a very long run time(100+ hours), very comfortable and dim-able. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Princeton-Tec.html

I have a Black Diamond super bright but it's heavy with the three AA's and usually stays home or at base camp for emergency use. It's more light than I usually need so the Princeton Tec usually winds up in my pack.

TK

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tikka, the smallest one with a real headband not the Zipka with the cord gig

backed up by a photon microlight II

if weight is not an issue I'll toss in in order of least weight to most

Princeton Tech blast, good little light

Surefire G-2 or a small streamlight, prefer the Surefire, lighter and no metal on it

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's also nice to have a few of these clipped inside the dark deep recesses of your main pack compartment and other pockets. If you need to find anything in the dark and don't want to turn your headlamp on, you can just flip one of these on and light up the inside of your pack with hardly no visible light outside. Very strong clips that stay in place and they are dirt cheap and bright.

http://www.countycomm.com/ARES%20SOLED.htm

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For backpacking I use a little lamp that clips to my hat, can't remember the name of it but it runs on a battery similar to a watch battery. It has a regular lamp and a flashing 3 "blue" lamp. With it clipped to my hat it shines right where I need it too. I also have a Black Diamond headlamp that uses 2-3 AA batteries but it's a tad heavier than the clip light so I carry it on longer sojournes up north where i'm not back packing.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
This year, I'll be toting one of these for my flashlight...

https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_65&products_id=400

and one of these for my headlamp.

https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=89&products_id=455

So far I've been impressed with both. Very bright and well constructed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I roll out with the newer EOS 2 headlamp and Fenix L2D Q5. However today I had some great fishing. The stream was flooded but the trout kept rolling in. Tons of Native Brookies, Native Browns, Stocked Browns. I just couldn't miss. Took the daypack and used my Tikka Plus headlamp as I was bringing them in to dusk... So I guess whatever headlamp/flashlight on hand. Also take my LED G2Z sometimes. Run LSD NiMH batteries in the headlamps and Fenix flashlights.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 1_deuce, 48 invisible), 2,217 guests, and 548 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,444
Posts18,507,847
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.