Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looking at the 4.5 fluted....for a Mk II.

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
depends on how many yards you're shooting at. The 4.5" will probably shoot 1/2 to an inch at 10 yards.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A friend had the longer fluted...Believe it was a 10", which could do 1/2" at 25 yards. He also had a Volquartsen trigger on that gun.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Shot one that had a suppressor mounted on it and we were picking off shotgun shells at 25 yards; that's pretty accurate. Was also able to ring a 10" seel plate at 150 yards quite regularly.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like they are doing as well as/or better than factory barrels, no decrease in accuracy. Good to know.

Kevin, I guess you did not need 'ear protection' using that one.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I have a 4 1/2" threaded version and it shoots very well but I did get some FTF's initially. I didn't have time to measure/compare groups with my 5 1/2" bull and 6 7/8" slab-side yet but will pretty soon.

FWIW - the thread-protecter kept coming unscrewed which is a PITA. If it happens when I screw on my suppressor, I'll be having a couple factory barrels threaded instead. I sure hope it works well though because it's VERY light!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Had a Ruger MkII stainless std 4.25" years back new- that for a brick or two of ammo had occasional FTFs then after that period it straightened out after smoothing up. Filed the front sight down a hair, did some windage and honed sear to around 2lbs and that gun shot very well and no more FTFs, but the Pac-Lite looks attractive all the way around from reports I have read. Looking at a bbl w/o threads/break for me, seen others w/but I just want something simple. A suppressed one would be the cat's meow, esp. considering weight....just need to get that fancy license.

Thanks.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't know, honestly. But my 5" steel bull barrel will shoot dime sized groups at 25 yards when it's scoped! If'n you measure a dime, you'll see that ain't bad! Considering that accuracy, I'm not sure I'd even consider replacing that barrel with another, even one a little lighter and easier to pack.

Weight is a funny thing. My experience has been, the ones who complain about it the most...are the ones who exercise the least.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
HI Dan, I am thinking of something I can throw in a duffel, on my hip, or even a fanny pack w/o weighting me down. I have 3 5.5 bulls so I know how they feel, fine when just shooting and they all are very accurate, but the weight issue is not a physical condition thing, I just ran a couple of miles yesterday and lifted weights, not in that bad of shape....true I could LOSE more than a few pounds, but the use of this gun, is one of nice to have a handgun IF you need it, ie. hiking/camping, not as a main gun, but just a side arm, always there, IF you need it. Plinking, a few snakes, and hopefully not, but in case....2 legged predators.....and I know a 22 is not my ideal choice for defense.....S&W 65 gets the nod there.

In my college days a Smith 17-4 or 5 w/4" Heavy barrel, lighter than the Rugers, as it had 3T's, was my most FUN 'plinking' gun (accounted for lots of snakes, turtles, gar, a rabbit, and more), had it not been spitting some lead, and the sights....hit a tad high and sights all way down, I'd kept it.....now wish I had just sent it back to Smith to correct. Made that model around 1985 just 2 or 3 years IIRC in the SMITH history book.

The new 941 Taurus 4" looks nicely proportioned...not sure on trigger and accuracy....cannot imagine trigger being as good as Smith out the box but....is in Stainless.

Also Dan, my 11 year old struggles with my Rugers, but he did have fun shooting my slabside scoped on a rest last weekend. Just cannot do any offhand shooting with them....so it would be shot some by him as well.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I have this terrible problem that I can't seem to shake. I use sarcasm as wit...and I refuse to use smiley faces and emoticons to let people know I'm being goofy. So, if I rubbed you the wrong way, I apologize.

That being said, I have owned a number of the slim barreled ruger .22s that shot as well as the bull barreled guns. The bull barrel's aren't more accurate per se, they are just easier to shoot accurately. So, I doubt a pac light would be any more accurate than any of the Ruger factory offerings.

I don't believe a 4" slim barrel would weigh any more than an aluminum shrouded bull barrel. If you are shooting with irons, there really isn't a reason to go with anything heavier...or lighter in that platform.

I have a little BearCat that a 5 year old could handle easily, and it's a literal tack driver at squirrel head distances. It's all a matter of what expectations we have about accuracy.

I'm not against accessorizing a gun, as I'm a big believer in taking a perfectly good firearm and screwing with till the cows come home. I've even screwed a few up that way.

A guy can pick up an older model slim barreled Ruger for less money than they'll spend on a pac light. My initial comment wasn't necessarily that it would be a bad investment, but that my factory barrel probably couldn't be beaten with one.

Regards

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B3

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hi Dan, agree on the 4", Ruger might be a great option for me, a 5.5 aluminum would give a good sight radius. Think my son my do best with a smaller grip gun right now, but 2-3 years he'll need bigger yet! Putting a Pac-Lite would be for wt. reduction and if you maintain or improve over factory bbl accuracy, that'd be nice.

Appreciate you comments and no offense taken.

Thanks for your feedback Dan.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Forgot to mention.....I picked my Pac-Lite up from Paul Zint in KY. Super nice guy and the best prices I could find.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Here is mine. Easily the most accurate Ruger .22 I've owned. Of course, it ain't really a Ruger any longer.

[Linked Image]

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Cool, matching grips. Looks like something out of a Sci-Fi, Rocky should have had that gun w/a silencer in the movie he was in. (course he wanted to be sly)....eye catching colors for sure.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I went with rails on top and bottom.....

[Linked Image]

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That thing looks ready for anything.....day and night! Nice. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
65BR

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
65BR - like others here have stated, the only Pac-Lite I have played with was about as accurate as the most accurate stock MKII I ever shot (Gov't Target model). My preference for general shooting goes to the heavy steel barrels, but a Pac-Lite setup would be great for the hills, as you have mentioned.

Nebraska - all that thing needs is a can! That's another reason to go Pac-Lite...

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Nebraska - all that thing needs is a can! That's another reason to go Pac-Lite...

That was the reason I went with something other than my 5.5" bull and my SWR Sprectre was approved last week!!! I'll post more pics when I get it in my hands...... cool

Last edited by Nebraska; 10/05/08.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (270wsmnutt, 257Bob, 2500HD, 1badf350, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 222ND, 66 invisible), 2,990 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,682
Posts18,534,375
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.