Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I am hoping to purchase a new rifle this year and I have been thinking about the Rem 700 LSS in 30-06. I currently own a Marlin 444 and I was thinking that the 30-06 would give me a little more reach and more load options.

I am hoping to use this rifle for deer and someday Elk when I can afford a trip out west. Would this rifle be a good choice or should I look for something with a longer barrel?

Any opinions on the LSS? Will a lamintated stock hold up in foul weather?

Thanks

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You'll be fine with that choice.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I like 'em. Course I took the action and rechambered + McM stock and then used the stock on another 700......

smile

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Since I own a Mtn LSS in 7mm-08 I obviously think the rifle is a good choice grin I'm equally biased about the caliber. Nothing at all wrong with a 30-06 but the 7mm-08 is simply a pleasure to shoot, has very little recoil, is an outstanding "deer" rifle, good for Elk at resonable ranges and yes the laminated stock will hold up in foul weather. If deer are on the menu and "someday" Elk, do yourself a favor and get a caliber that you can really enjoy shooting.

Do a search on 7mm-08 and see what others have to say about this great caliber because I'm just about as biased as a person can get. wink

[Linked Image]

firstshot
-----------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 300RUM in the LSS.
I really like that 'configuration' of the model 700, in fact, I wish Remington would start offering more calibers in the LSS, I would buy it!
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had one in .270 Win. There were some machine markings that went across the lands about .25 from the muzzle, but it was a shooter! The only gripe I had was the butt pad, very hard, especially in cold weather. Traded it for a CDL SF in 7-08, which is my favourite calibre also. Would I buy another? Yes, if I could find one in 7-08.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This summer I acquired a LSS in 7mm-08. It's accurate enough (it shoots exactly an inch w/handloads and sometimes a little better if I haven't been drinking coffee), and it's very handy.

I think you'd enjoy it in 30-06.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
my son has a 700 lss in 7rem mag. he is well satisfied and has cleanly taken both deer and elk with the rifle using 160gr partitions and falsafes. imo, a 700 lss in 30-06 is a fine combination for deer, elk, etc. i wouldn't be surprised if it quickly became your "do everything" rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a 700 MTN LSS in 30-06. It was a slick gun and I killed several deer with it, but the balance wasn't there. The stock was way heavy for that .30cal pencil-tube.

Now with even more aplomb
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Set one up for a bud in 270. It was the MTN version. Shot inch to inch and a quarter with 130 factory corelokts. No muss, no fuss. Slick little rifles.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A 30-06 for Elk??? That aint going to work.. Your going to need at least a 338 Ultramag to kill one of those elusive armored beasts... Heck, a 30-06 bullet will probably bounce right off...... Just don't tell that to the thousands of guys who kill more elk with 06's then most of us ever will..... Ya, thad be a great combo IMO.... Id lean a little more towards the 06 for elk over the 08 just because of bullet choices... Elk really hate 180gr pills launched from a 30-06...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I happen to like the LSS models, both sporter & Mtn versions. Either version should serve you well. I'm currently trying to find a sporter .280 w/ the black & gray laminate stock.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Thanks everyone for your opinions and recomendations.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have 3 of them, a Mountain Rifle in 7-08 like Firstshot's, a Model 7 in .358, and what used to be a Mountain Rifle in 30-06 but is now a sporter profile barrel, but still in the MR stock.

Anyways, in a Mountain Rifle configuration an LSS is butt-heavy, which may or may not matter to you. However, add some barrel weight and they balance much better. So if you are looking at sporter LSS's, the balance is probably "fine", whatever that means.

The laminate stock is VERY weather resistant and is my favorite stock unless I want an ultra-light rifle. It's quiet in the brush, very solid-feeling, doesn't smell like rubber... picks up some nicks and dings after a while and starts to get "broken in" looking... and it's nice to have wood in your hands instead of plastic too.

They are some solid-feeling stocks. My Model 7 feels like something you could club a deer to death with if you had to!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a handful of LSS rifles as well as a couple rifles restocked with the LSS stock. I like the aesthetics, but agree with Jpro. Found the stock too heavy and off balance, especially on the Mtn. rifle contoured barreled actions.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had a 700 LSS in .300 Win Mag. I didn't like it. I didn't like the blue/gray color of the laminate, I didn't like the shine, and the gun didn't shoot as well as I needed from it.

I like the looks of the CDL "premier dealer only" version which has a brown laminated stock and a blued fluted barrel. The only problem I have with it is I want 2" less barrel in pretty much every caliber. Didn't matter, it wasn't offered in the 2 calibers I wanted, .308 and .375, so I didn't buy one.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Crazy talk man...stock rifles can't kill elk:

[Linked Image]

Kidding, of course. I've grown quite fond of my 300 RUM LSS, although critters around here don't much care for it. All I did was bed the action and lighten the trigger. It shot so well (J-lock and all) I rewarded it with a turret. The stock's a bit heavy compared to other gee-whizzery that's available, but I like the looks of the whole package. I'd say it's weather-proof enough for most lower-48 hunting.

Good luck.

Dave

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I originally was looking at sythetic stocked rifles for weather protection. The last deer hunt I went on in Maine it rained for a week straight and the only rifle I had with me was a Pre-64 M70 featherweight that I inherited. I'm not into safe queen rifles or anything but I was not to thrilled with getting my rifle soaked everyday for a solid week and worrying about warping the wood stock.

Having now seen some nice laminated stocks the thought of a plastic stock got put on the back burner.

I will need to find a store with an LSS in stock and see how it feels after hearing from some forum members that they were not happy with the balance.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I really like the Remington 700 LSS MR stock, but the 700 green/gray laminated stocks seem a little too bulky to me. With a scope mounted, I don't find the short action LSS MR stock to cause a rifle to be too butt heavy, but most of my 700s that have LSS MR handles are parts guns with heavier contour barrels on them.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As some others have stated the standard LSS is heavy and the stock is kind of clunky but they shoot well. I'd stick with the mountain version to save weight. These are a great looking gun.

2Seventy

Member: NRA Life Benefactor
Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 63 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,945
Posts18,480,184
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.