Print Thread
Hop To
Page 68 of 1,842 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 1841 1842
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
why everyone gunning for my dang ole deer?

poor ole fat 300 lb 185 inch forky toes... grin (I wish)

see, his body is so heavy that his feet started to deform... big fella got a hard time getting around.

I saw him once you know.... yeah, he was coming from the south. He had been down to a lake that's just south of us. See, I can tell cause he was walking with a fish in his mouth. Looked like about a 4.5 lb northern pike. Next day in the paper there was a story about a 415lb black bear found dead down by the lake, cause of death undetermined but they said it looked like he was stabbed with a chandelier. Most folks thought that was a pretty strange explaination....

I never said nuthin about seeing that deer with a 4.5lb fish in his mouth... But I think about it now & then, I wonder if ole forky was actually hungry for that fish or if he just really didn't want that bear to have it....

that fork toe buck, he's a bad mutha...

Be careful what you wish for kids...

Something clever here.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
bad bad forky toe's down, da baddest buck in da Roseau town.

don't tug on superman's cape, don't piss into da vind, don't thumb up your nose, ya gotta watch out for da old forky toes...grin

Im sick I know. its some sort of disease I swear.

I heard that's what wipped out the sashquatch up in dem parts. some folks said it was wolvs, not me, I don't believe 'em.

I never seen him, heard him once. gruntin like dave after a week in Mexico, the smell was awful, a rut stink like you never knew...

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
had a little frost on the pumpkin this morning. Supposed to be hi 20's low 30's tonight too.

my rut is starting.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
uh-oh... here we go again.....

It is upon us.

grin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
naw...not yet. I did see two basket racks on my way in yesterday though.

If I get up north on saturday, that might be a different story. FIL can't decide if we're gonna muskie fish or build blinds.

So many choices. A couple good ones to pick from. I tried to get him to do both, but he won't go for it.

you guys hittin' the woods this weekend?

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
well I'd like to but Pam wants to go to Cabelas on saturday so I suppose she'll drag me along.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Where is there a Cabellas by you? NoDak?

Gotta keep the wifey happy I guess. grin

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
ya, she's all (girl voice) "I want to make sure you have everything you need for your elk hunting trip before you go."

And I'm all (guy voice) "what ever, if i have too..."

and stuff.....

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
ya, she's all (girl voice) "I want to make sure you have everything you need for your elk hunting trip before you go."

And I'm all (guy voice) "what ever, if i have too..."

and stuff.....

If my wife wanted to make sure I had everything I needed for my hunting trip.... good lord I don't know what she'd want to buy, but I'm guessing I'd come home to a new car in the driveway, or her old boyfriend in the basement or something. laugh

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Elk hunting trip.... frown

Stupid work mad

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
You know the boy's grandpa is going right?

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Rooster give into the darkside.

The wiley wapiti are calling. No Phone no lights no motor cars, not a single luxury.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Northern Dave,

I just wanted to thank you for this thread, through it I have been able to keep my desire to hunt in the future, as I have not been able hunt for several years because of money problems.This has compounded with the fact that I am in the middle of a career change (I was a homebuilder, my last house has been on the market for several months and I am about to hopefully start a new career) and that a tree has fallen through my house due to hurricane IKE, so I cant live in my house house until it gets fixed.

My 1953 Savage 99 in .300 is sitting around ready to hunt, I am just not able to. Hopefully next fall I will be able to get back into hunting, thanks again for this thread, it really has keep my hunting spirit alive, sorry if I vented a little too much, I just miss hunting.

Last edited by Boxerdog; 10/02/08.

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Thank you for posting boxerdog. Don't be sorry for anything. Very sorry to hear about your troubles. housing market has got to be tough right now.

I certainly hope you land on your feet & get that ole 300 savage back out in the game.

I love the model 99's. Heck who doesn't? they have an absolute cultish following!!

It is one of the rifles that still evades me, I have had an affection for the savage 99 and oddly enough also the winchester model 88. Both are somewhat similar in the way that they are lever actions that fire pointed center fires. I have my 88 and I love it. I purchased it right here on the campfire classifieds, did really well on it from a gentleman from AZ if I remember correctly. I have since refinished the stock & mounted a fixed 4X leupold scope on it & I just love hunting with it. Mine is a .308

Look here, we'll do just like we would at deer camp when a feller is kind of proud of a rifle & wants to show it to his buddy. i'll just walk over to the home made gun rack over along the wall here & pull this ole 88 out of the rack & hand it to ya with the little glimmer of pride in my eye... here check it over...

Here it is, I did a refinish with a birchwood casey colonial brown stain and a hand rubbed linseed oil finish.
[Linked Image]

Here look at the stock up close, I'm pretty proud of how the finish came out..
[Linked Image]

look a little closer, i know most guys are pre 64 this & that but I really am fond of the impressed basket weave & oak leaf cluster printed in this piece of walnut..
[Linked Image]

here's a look from the fore end. a nice shot of the oak leaf cluster up there.

[Linked Image]

there, don't that feel like deer camp?

i'd like to have a look at that ole 99 some day & hear about it's stories.

thanks for posting boxer, best wishes & don't be a stranger.

Dave

Something clever here.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Damn Dave!

That's a fine lookin' 88. I've got a Model 100 with the dreaded basket weave and love it. The old 100 is pretty beat up from huntin', but I like it that way. Someday I'll find an 88 like yours to match mine. Damn nice job on the refinish. Maybe some day I'll be brave enough to try that on mine....

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dave,you did a great job on that one.Where most people screw up in refinishing a rifle is in the wood color.Yours looks just right.

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
NH K9, now there's another forum handle I haven't run across before. Thank you also for posting.

So you've got the semi auto sister to the 88 huh?

You know of course I'm on the other side looking for a 100 to go with my 88 while you are looking for an 88 to go with your 100 grin

that's the way it goes.

don't be afraid to tackle the stock project. I kept the sand paper away from mine, I used chemical stripper & a tooth brush to remove factory finish without damaging the press checkering. I used a red scotch brite pad to skid the stripping slime & finish off the smooth surfaces. just repetition & patience.

Good rinsing & lots of drying time afterwards. then I rubbed color in generously, in the past on other stocks I have always fallen shy on color because I have worried about over doing it.

Thanks Stan for saying i got the color right, i think it went ok.

I put on a coat of gun stock wax every now & then & buff it up. I like this finish so much better that the pale yellowish colored & varnish looking finish it had. this to me looks like the way it should have been.

Thanks for the kind words guys, K9, don't be a stranger either, please post again.

g'night.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You sure got the color right dave. Looks great.

A cool rife indeed. You know, that is a gun I just don't see for sale around here. Not in gun shops, pawn shops, shows, nowhere. A real cool gun though. I'm a fan of the 100's, every time I find one, something else comes up.

I will be the owner of a 99 soon. Like tonight after work. I found a beauty that Grogel has been helping me with for a week or better now.

Did you name that camp yet?

Tom

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Somebody gotta help me find my 99, I love my 88 but she's no 99. I'm a bit of a loony for precision mechanics, craftsmanship... and the 99 has both & then some.

the action has always fascinated me.

I could sit on the couch for hours with a beer next to me & marvel at the mechanics & precision craftsmanship as I cycle the action in slow motion watching the movement of the parts.

I�ll have one some day.

no we aint named the dang camp, maybe i'll work on that today.

grin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
There are cool, them 99's. I found one in .300 Savage that Big Swish has been answering a ton of questions for me. The more I go and look at it, the more I like it.

Seems like a great rifle to still hunt with. Put the wool on, sneak around real quiet, like they used to do.Krommer hat and all.

I got an old leather sling I'm going to throw on it. I'll have to put a scope on it cuz I just can't see good enough to be effective with the old buckhorn rear sight.

After work today, I'm going to throw some cash at it.

Page 68 of 1,842 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.